Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What are you packing?

To you know, SHOOT!

Scenario: You get a call at 2AM. President Obama's aide is on the line. Your mission: Accompany a SEAL team on a mission. You will be the unit photographer. Due to the confidential nature of the mission, you are not told what you will be shooting. Your job is to document the mission as best as you can, that means, stills, video, audio, whatever you can bring back. You have to keep up with the SEALs, so just one bag. You will not need a change of clothes, as you will be back same day. Flight is at 4am, no time to buy, borrow, beg or steal, just what you have! What will you pack?

Me:
Lowepro 200 AW Slingshot
Pentax K5 with 2 spare batteries.DA*16-50 mounted.
AF360 FGZ Flash
Giotto Rocket Blower
2 Spare SANDISK Extreme 16Gb cards, 1 32Gb in camera
Sigma 8-16
DA*50-135
FA31/1.8 for low light
AF 1.7x Converter
F* 300/4.5
Lens Pen
Spare 4 pack AAs for flash
LED head torch
1 pair of Underwear

Post your packing list! Ten Hut!

Last edited by selar; 06-03-2012 at 09:02 PM.
06-03-2012, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

CORE KIT:
Berghaus climbing daypack
K-5 + DBG-4 with AA insert.
2 x 32 GB SD cards
DA*16-50 mounted and ready to go
DA*55 for low light
DA*60-250
Metz 58 AF-1
lots of spare AA's
a good head torch and a bright hand torch
thermals, shorts, pile beanie and lightweight breathable shell wear
Scarpa trail shoes and Vibram FiveFingers
sunscreen

MAYBE:
Cullmann CF tripod with Manfrotto head
If I had room in the bag I'd throw in the DA10-17 for those tight clinches

OPTIONAL:
Underwear

If I had an Optio WG-2 I'd take that as back up.
06-03-2012, 04:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Impressive
06-03-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Go Pro helmet cam with housing backup the same

06-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is way too much gear. Both of you would get shot in the back of the head and left behind, for slowing down the team.
06-03-2012, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
LOL. I roll back to sleep and stay in dream land. The SEALs are very smart and capable operators. Taking pictures is easy for them since they have to master much harder and complex tasks than photography. Since the SEALs can buy pretty much any piece of equipment on earth, I doubt they'd buy anything Pentax...but since I'm still in dream land and the thought of some handsome/beefcake SEALS coming to spend a day with me, I'll play along.

I would take...

My Optio WG
My K5, Grip and 18-135WR with 2 extra batteries
My Zoom H2N

Also..nice underwear since I will be getting dressed and undressed around hot SEALS as we put on our gear. Make sure my legs are shaved, no razor stuble. Make sure I smell nice. Definitely some hair scrunchies.
06-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
That is way too much gear. Both of you would get shot in the back of the head and left behind, for slowing down the team.
Given that you know nothing about me, I will not dignify that with a detailed response.

06-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Given that you know nothing about me, I will not dignify that with a detailed response.
Was trying to be funny. No need to get one`s panties all knotted up.

I do like Clickers idea of Go-Pro. Mount it on a helmet and have hands free for real shooting.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 06-03-2012 at 08:47 AM.
06-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Capa carried two Contax bodies with 50mm lenses on D-Day.
06-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
That is way too much gear
Thats what I carry on holiday. Keeps me fit! I do take your point though and am ditching the tripod, but adding Sandy's head torch (which I usually pack anyway)
06-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

there will need to be some kevlar provided.
i'd pack very light. K5 + 3 fast primes (wide, normal, short tele) in the front pockets of my camera vest. using available light i assume. headlamp and a snack bag of almonds. bring it on!
06-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I would wear a hat, camp pants with pockets, a light convertible jacket/vest, a long sleeve t-shirt, good walking boots. I would take my stick, my knives, my beater FX-2 SLR camera, 4/4 packs of film, a couple of cell batteries, a fast 50 and a 75-300MM zoom. Couple pairs of underwear, a couple of extra pairs of socks and an extra t-shirt. Bug repellant, sun screen, a toothbrush and a small tube of toothpaste, deodorant, bandages antibiotic tube, anti-nausea pills, those ear plugs for when you fly, an ace bandage or two and a roll of monster tape. A canteen, some chocolate bars. My sun glasses and my regular pair. (Have to can't see without them.) A copy of War and Peace in my pocket. (Because it's a long book and one I've never finished yet. Good for the trip there and hopefully back. Not to mention ironic for the situation.)

Except for my stick and the canteen which obviously I'd wear on me it all fits neatly in a standard army style messenger bag or in my pockets, yes, that's it, and no, I wouldn't take my K-x or Queenie or any other camera I would hate to lose. Then again I'd never willingly go on a trip where I could get my head shot off. That's just not me. I don't do war. But if I had to move fast, that's what I'd take. Underwear and socks can be washed. More than that I don't need weighing me down. Why the FX-2? Because it's built like a tank, is already dented, yet still works like a pro, and it's easily replaceable for under $20. Ditto the c/y DSB lenses. I don't have to worry it won't work or risk losing something that I'd cry to replace with that kit.

Last edited by magkelly; 06-03-2012 at 11:50 PM.
06-04-2012, 01:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

why so many underwear responses when you'll be returning the same day?
06-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Situation where I'm following a SEAL into a combat mission? Might be getting shot at? Likely I might need a couple of pairs in case I got so scared I peed myself, plus one for coming home from the hospital, because you never know. Might just get my arse shot! Be kind of humiliating if I did pee myself, but I'm only human and flying bullets just might make me a little scared. My bladder's prone towards making me run for the bathroom when I get too stressed normally actually. It's not like there's likely going to be a porta potty and a bidet handy on a combat mission...
06-04-2012, 03:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
why so many underwear responses when you'll be returning the same day?
Because its going to be pretty scary