Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The chain movie theaters in the US apparently don't like their customers. But they do like to torture them. You are charged an expensive price and yet they bombard you with the same TV commercials and commercials of trailers before the show over and over again. Then when the show finally starts you see all those same trailers yet again. I figure I paid NOT to see that stuff.

Sorry, that is not an enjoyable experience. And don't get me started on kids that won't shut up or stop kicking your seat. And finally, to add insult to sorrow, they insult you with a movie-going experience ad that says why in the world would you watch a movie on a small screen at home. Clueless.
Even at home, on dvds you pay for, there are ads. There were 30 minutes of unskipable ads for the deathly hallows, part 1. Guess how many ads pirates have to watch? The industry is so stupid.

06-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Went to the pictures last night ('Snow White And The Huntsman' - good movie): £9.30. That's 103.11 SEK or $14.41 if you prefer. Not cheap.

@Colbyt
Should you ever return to our sunny isles, search out a Wetherspoons pub. When I'm in London, I usually go to The Metropolitan in Baker Street. There's a mild London price rise, but you can get a guest ale for £2.75 or so which is pretty decent. It's £2.20 at home.
06-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
Went to the pictures last night ('Snow White And The Huntsman' - good movie): £9.30. That's 103.11 SEK or $14.41 if you prefer. Not cheap.

@Colbyt
Should you ever return to our sunny isles, search out a Wetherspoons pub. When I'm in London, I usually go to The Metropolitan in Baker Street. There's a mild London price rise, but you can get a guest ale for £2.75 or so which is pretty decent. It's £2.20 at home.

We were just there for a day and half; stuck in Trafalgar Square area pre-cruise. And I think you mentioned sunny as a joke but except for Belfast the sun followed us all around the Isles. We never needed that umbrella.

If you ever head this way, I will help you any way I can.
06-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cineplex, AMC (similar pricing) Canada

Admission

General (14-64) $10.99

Child (3-13) $7.99

Senior (65+) $7.99

3D General (14-64) $13.99

3D Child (3-13) $10.99

3D Senior (65+) $10.99

UltraAVX 3D General (14-64) $15.99

UltraAVX 3D Child (3-13) $12.99

UltraAVX 3D Senior (65+) $12.99

06-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Getting old sucks but has some perks. I get into the theater at our mall with my senior citizen discount for $7, all shows. I see a lot more movies now.
06-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Getting old sucks but has some perks. I get into the theater at our mall with my senior citizen discount for $7, all shows. I see a lot more movies now.
For younger types, you can buy your tickets from Costco to save a few bucks.
06-07-2012, 02:48 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Over in Australia the movie cost seems to be $15-18. However I commonly get a members discount card which makes it $10.
If it was $15+ each time I'd probably almost never go.

Yes I'd agree in general that the movie industry seems to be clueless about this sort of thing. We have 'scary' pre-movie advertisements that exclaim: "You wouldn't steal a car, you shouldn't steal a CD, downloading movies is stealing". Yeah OK...

Game of Thrones is a good example of the TV show issue, it's just the same here. Download it or don't watch it, basically.

06-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Last time I went it was $12.50 for non IMAX, $17 for IMAX. I badly want to see Batman but I'm not sure I am going. The regular screens are so small they're not worth going and I don't like going to the one IMAX theater here. It's downtown which can be rough. I don't particularly feel like risking a mugging just so I can see Batman...
06-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I wasted a little time looking for prices (well hidden) for the nearest New Brunswick cinema. $7.50 to 11.50, apparently. Since I live nowhere near a movie theatre I pretty well always wait for DVDs. There isn't much on, that I would make an all-day pilgrimage to see on a big screen. Last one was Avatar 3D (well worth the trip ) But I do think movie prices have got a bit ridiculous. And much of the profit comes from concessions, which I never buy because who knows what's in that goo they put on the popcorn!?
06-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't been to the movies since my daughter was little, perhaps ten years ago.
I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone since getting married 20+ years ago.

I don't watch online video streams or on-demand cable. I do have 10 HBO channels though.

Few popular movies today interest me. For anything I must see I can wait a year or so for it to be on HBO.
Sometimes I buy the DVD, for an average of about $10 per movie used or new from half.com or Amazon.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-07-2012 at 03:52 PM.
06-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Yes I'd agree in general that the movie industry seems to be clueless about this sort of thing. We have 'scary' pre-movie advertisements that exclaim: "You wouldn't steal a car, you shouldn't steal a CD, downloading movies is stealing". Yeah OK...
Yeah. But car dealers and record stores don't inconvenience me as much as cinemas and Hollywood...and make me want to "steal" from them.

TBH, it's the other damn patrons that keep me away from movies. I still have nightmares of about those idiots that brought *sandwiches*, wrapped in *foil* to snack on. And they were a large group with a *variety* of sandwiches, which were *unlabeled* so the first five minutes was taken up with "This is chicken - I don't like chicken. Where's the one with ham?"
06-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
TBH, it's the other damn patrons that keep me away from movies. I still have nightmares of about those idiots that brought *sandwiches*, wrapped in *foil* to snack on. And they were a large group with a *variety* of sandwiches, which were *unlabeled* so the first five minutes was taken up with "This is chicken - I don't like chicken. Where's the one with ham?"
Haha, that must of been horrible indeed.
06-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Last 3 years once or twice a year the two big movie houses in Australia, sell tickets in bulk at cheap rates. Was $7 in 2009, 2010, went up to $7.50 in 2011. Havent oaid full price for a movie ticket for last 3 years

Unfortunately, theres no good movies to watch most of the time, the last two movies I watched, Battleship and The Grey, were absolutely pathetic. Plus its painful to have to go to a movie house, fight for parking etc. Large screen TVs have become pretty cheap nowadays, so I have just put up a 51 inch 3D plasma on the bedroom wall at just the right angle to lie in bed and watch TV and movies. It ends up being about the same FOV as watching a big screen in a cinema house. I dont think I'll ever go to a Cinema theatre again.
06-08-2012, 04:39 AM   #29
Veteran Member

US$17.95 for 3D IMAX here in Hong Kong.
06-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
It's downtown which can be rough. I don't particularly feel like risking a mugging just so I can see Batman

Mind if I ask which city in general.

I've carried the (yellow bee - almost glow yellow) LowePro DZ all over the place with a Leica around my neck and never run into a problem. That's in every boro in NYC; even Broadway at most every time of day - yes even 4 & 5 am (see my profile pic for that one single submitted pic); Central Park overnight, etc... And it's not just one city; also included Tampa, Philly, Atlanta, L.A, etc...

Although I've also personally found ways to intervene in trouble as well. I saw a domestic where on person hit another and it was goig south quickly. I actually drew a gun on that one; with hammer back and laser sight on; the finger was also exerting a bit of pressure on the trigger - not in the safety position that police often use.