Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Banned

Clueless woman reporter says Honda Fit EV won't need fill up for two weeks

She just said it on a news show !

2013 Honda Fit EV Overview - Official Site

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47707235

Last edited by jogiba; 06-07-2012 at 08:01 AM.
06-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They still need to work on their battery tech. These aren't prime time yet. Tesla is the closest to having a practical vehicle.
06-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
I will stick with my gas Honda Fit that gets a fill up every two weeks.
06-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
They still need to work on their battery tech. These aren't prime time yet. Tesla is the closest to having a practical vehicle.

Depends on what your practical requirements are. Better battery tech would make them more useful for more people, but there have been quite-practical EVs for many purposes, for decades. There'd be nothing wrong with an EV for the kind of driving I do in this town, that is, if I did enough of it to justify building me a new car of any kind. (There's just not enough fuel consumption to save, even with me keeping this big ol' gal on the road and available should others need some haulage. ) But it's so for a lot of people who just don't need to go more than like five to thirty miles in a day: this area's kind of an island, and it's just not that far to even the outlying towns a lot of people might commute from.

And for any household where people can share, there's a lot more situations where it might make sense to put an EV or hybrid or micro-car in the mix. There's been a lot of places where sweetie and I would have been planning on some mix of commutey eco car and some vehicle for work and other stuff, like an older SUV or truck or wagon, and other households where we shared a variety of vehicles and used them according to most-efficient purposes.

Not that Tesla doesn't really seem to have very good stuff going on.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-07-2012 at 11:19 AM.
06-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Depends on what your practical requirements are. Better battery tech would make them more useful for more people, but there have been quite-practical EVs for many purposes, for decades. There'd be nothing wrong with an EV for the kind of driving I do in this town, that is, if I did enough of it to justify building me a new car of any kind. It's so for a lot of people.

Not that Tesla doesn't really seem to have very good stuff going on.
Certainly they work for some people, but like I said, they aren't prime time. Once they have features like half charge in 5-15 minutes and ranges of 250 miles then I'll lineup to get rid of my clunker(in a consumer model). I can't wait for the death of combustion vehicles. They maybe fun, but they need to make way.
06-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
D0n
Banned

electric vehicles are not the solution everybody hopes they will be.
in the near future clean drinking water will be a bigger issue than co2 gasses....
considering where the electricity comes from to charge ev's (coal, petrolium, nuclear, hydro etc) and what happens to the toxic metals in the batteries when they crash or wear out is all bad news for the groundwater that will one day be priced higher than gold.

so use 'em at your own risk, ya been warned.

however there is one way to utilize ev's with less impact on the environment.... rather than look for better or more exotic batteries (with ever more dangerous metals and chemicals) why not go this route.... build highways and roads out of solar panels, and have electrical contacts for the cars... yes contacts..like giant slot car sets.... build cars with smaller batteries... design the infra structure so cars can travel short distances, in certain areas under thier own power, in other areas drawing power from the roads, and any parked cars can be used by the infrastructure itself draw power from on demand... so every car in use becomes battery storage for the system when not being driven...

run ALL power (houses and buildings etc) through the road grid.... cars driven semi autonomously in slots with sensors to over ride driver errors to prevent accidents... (even if you use electrical induction to power the cars, still riding in slots, computer controlled traffic)

then make make all the cars a self serve taxi system where you get in, pay with your phone and go to your destination... sort of a door to door public transit in small ev's

trying to go all electric with the current buy a car, own it and drive it yourself capitalist business model is really just gonna kill the most precious resource on the planet... fresh drinking water... you think an oil spill is bad? wait till you see what all the heavy metals in a battery can do to your brain cells and nervous system when critical levels are in your water...
06-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
electric vehicles are not the solution everybody hopes they will be.
in the near future clean drinking water will be a bigger issue than co2 gasses....
considering where the electricity comes from to charge ev's (coal, petrolium, nuclear, hydro etc) and what happens to the toxic metals in the batteries when they crash or wear out is all bad news for the groundwater that will one day be priced higher than gold.

so use 'em at your own risk, ya been warned.

however there is one way to utilize ev's with less impact on the environment.... rather than look for better or more exotic batteries (with ever more dangerous metals and chemicals) why not go this route.... build highways and roads out of solar panels, and have electrical contacts for the cars... yes contacts..like giant slot car sets.... build cars with smaller batteries... design the infra structure so cars can travel short distances, in certain areas under thier own power, in other areas drawing power from the roads, and any parked cars can be used by the infrastructure itself draw power from on demand... so every car in use becomes battery storage for the system when not being driven...

run ALL power (houses and buildings etc) through the road grid.... cars driven semi autonomously in slots with sensors to over ride driver errors to prevent accidents...

then make make all the cars a self serve taxi system where you get in, pay with your phone and go to your destination... sort of a door to door public transit in small ev's

trying to go all electric with the current buy a car, own it and drive it yourself is really just gonna kill the most precious resource on the planet... fresh drinking water... you think an oil spill is bad? wait till you see what all the heavy metals in a battery can do to your brain cells and nervous system when critical levels are in your water...
I've seen/heard all of this, but I don't think it's very likely in the short term. We can't even get our government to properly fund education and you think they'll cover all our roads with solar panels? If the human race were keen on surviving the next 1000 years you'd have something, but the powers that be think about how to make the stock holders happy from quarter to quarter. Cleaner battery tech would be great. Fuel cells would be even better. If we built a proper grid, with clean power, we could all have flying cars powered by hydrogen and computer controlled and we wouldnt even need an extensive road system. I don't see it happening. The solution to everything is in clean and abundant energy, then we can have as much drinking water as we'd like. Electric cars are a start in the direction towards a better power grid. As power requirements increase we might get one, because the powers that be will demand it.

06-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
D0n
Banned

electric cars like the one above are gonna kill us all.

just remember in the 1940's we were promised that nuclear power was the solution to clean energy, flying cars and was so safe.. some company even tried selling radioactive water as a health supplement.

you really think the scientists and government got their thinking straight when it comes to what they're gonna do with a trillion toxic batteries in the future? as you pointed out quite correctly..they are programmed to think short term.....

you get damaged with heavy metal toxins today, it might be your sterile, three legged, cancer ridden, mentally challenged grandchildren that suffer the consequences a couple generations later.

Last edited by D0n; 06-07-2012 at 12:14 PM.
06-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Actually, Don, you're exaggerating on all counts: actually the more advanced batteries are using less and less of stuff that's toxic to groundwater than, say, the lead-acid batteries starting all those combustion engines. And one of the advantages of having an electric car infrastructure is that you can use them to smooth out the peak/base load curves on a pretty big scale: charge when the powerplants are maintaining base load, or when your wind farms etc are at peak operation, and, certainly, there's your energy storage for alternative energy: also, a lot of the actual fuel used to run even fossil fuel plants is being burned anyway, without doing any work: they need to keep extra capacity available according to things like the time of day. The more diversity of energy storage and sources, the better. There's no reason energy storage needs to be sitting still somewhere when there's need for them in cars which spend most of their operational lives just sitting somewhere, anyway.

Quibbling about technical challenges and saying, 'Nope, do nothing with the tech we have and could be developing, and hold out for solar highways that the same politics mean would *never* be invested in even if the materials technology to make solar panels somehow tougher and cheaper than asphalt was anywhere near existing...' ..is the kind of thinking that's created this climate and fuel supply and economic problem all along. Not to mention all the nuclear boondoggles that were no such 'magic bullet' as promised.

My understanding, too, is a lot of the fancier batteries under development are using *less* of heavy metals and dangerous chemicals than at present. And, the lighter and more compact they are, the better they can be protected from breaking open in a big crash or something.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-07-2012 at 01:10 PM.
06-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
D0n
Banned

one ev battery:

one car battery (cheap and 98 % recyclable bTW):

so one battery vs a dozen per vehicle x double or quadruple the (current) population owning cars in the future globally...
even if each cell has less toxic material in it, there'll be forty times as many batteries being consumed per year as currently..
nope.. it either has to be a public transit system built into the grid and infra structure I'm proposing or it will be a disaster...
the problem is when the material leech into the groundwater......

Last edited by D0n; 06-07-2012 at 02:22 PM.
06-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Again, Don, claiming that the fact that there's batteries to deal with and recycle means it's a deal-killer to have the things at all, just doesn't make sense.

All the concerns and worries about RV batteries (And many of them *are* just worries, rather than big problems: in fact, they're simply *eminently-solvable problems that don't outweigh the need for and benefits of the things, like firefighters not knowing how to deal with cases of severe crashes with EVs: well, train and equip them for it, just like everything else.) ...

And saying 'Hold out for something that's not even in the pipeline and is not going to happen with this attitude, anyway, ' just isn't helping the groundwater any when there's *already* all manner of fuel additives and fracking fluids and combustion oils, coal mine tailings and and all the rest going in there from internal combustion vehicles. Kinda like when the anti-environmental crowd starts concern-trolling about a bird hitting a wind turbine so they can keep tearing down mountains for strip mines and coal-fired plants.

And of course the last thing they want to do is use all this wonderful technology and real estate money to do something like reduce people's car-dependency just to live in this society in the first place.
06-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
Banned

Well it's kind of interesting that someone mentioned that the Tesla name d vehicle is in fact the best electric vehicle - which is in fact quite accurate.

Yet naming a vehicle after Tesla - a scientist from back in time a bit; most of his work never made the light of day in being publicly published. As a matter of fact it was seized by the united states government. But please don't take my word for it; Wiki also states exactly that.

Amoung the missing documents... The ability to transfer (versions of) any amperage of power - without wires. That's right - no above ground wires and no underground wires either.

Between scientists such as Tesla and Einstein the world could have been a completely different place. BTW Einstein maintained (for most of his adult life that) and also scientifically proved that time travel is indeed as much a scientific fact as us passing through time as we know it.
06-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
Banned

Original Poster
I don't understand how paying $50,000+ for an EV saves money. My Honda Fit is a pig compared to my mountain bike that I use more for local travel than it. Since EVs are using electric from coal powered plants how are they green ?
06-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Certainly they work for some people, but like I said, they aren't prime time. Once they have features like half charge in 5-15 minutes and ranges of 250 miles then I'll lineup to get rid of my clunker(in a consumer model). I can't wait for the death of combustion vehicles. They maybe fun, but they need to make way.
You are going to wait a LONGGG time.
  1. USA has 29BBN barrels of proven reserves in developed fields as we read this
    1. That doesn't count prospects and fracking developments, which will happen
    2. We will be completely energy-independent in 10 years - 5 if EPA gets out of the way
    3. We are making more gasoline than we are using - and exporting the balance to Germany every day
  2. The US government owns 75% of the land in the United States (Louisiana Purchase).
    1. Under and on that land lies enough resources when mined, drilled or harvested to retire all the debt we have ever accumulated. Guess what's going to happen - Dig, Baby, Dig!! Drill, Baby. Drill!! Cut, Baby, Cut!!
  3. Exxon and the Russian State oil company have proven 129BBN barrels of recoverable oil (at cuurent prices) in Siberia
    1. That's more than what is left in all of the Middle East
  4. A molecule of gasoline is the most cost efficient way to transport therms for propulsion
  5. There's 2.7 trillion dollars of accumulated capital invested in wells, pipelines, refineries, storage facilites and filling stations that won't be just thrown away
  6. There's heaven knows how much capital invested in the internal combustion engine that won't just be thrown away.
Any technology that cannot compete on a price-fair basis to earn the regular purchases of the average American household is not a viable technology.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-08-2012 at 02:52 PM.
06-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I don't understand how paying $50,000+ for an EV saves money. My Honda Fit is a pig compared to my mountain bike that I use more for local travel than it. Since EVs are using electric from coal powered plants how are they green ?
Not every power plant is coal fired and not every region even has coal or gas fired power plants. Regardless of where the power comes from EV will reduce pollution in populated areas and result in more pollution at power plants where it is much easier and cheaper to invest in carbon capture and emission reduction controls than on each vehicle.

What everyone seems to miss out in comparing petro fueled compared to electrical powered cars is that the former have had well over one hundred years of development and infrastructure investments compared to a very limited in comparison for EVs. Range, recharging and recycling are only going to improve over time and there will be a period of less efficiency at the beginning. And EVs are only a part of the solution for a greener tomorrow along with better public transportation, more bike lanes, working at home, and higher standards on gas or diesel powered cars and trucks. The City of Calgary for example buys wind energy only for their rapid transit lines. Solar, wind, garbage and tide are going to be increasing not decreasing and nuclear may or may not be safer but running internal combustion motors and not replacing as many as we can is safe either. EVs are part of the solution for a better tomorrow even if they are not perfect today. We cannot wait until they are perfected before we use them as that cannot happen. Some times it seems like the only people trying to reduce their dependency on oil are the greenies and the military.