Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Guess Jeb doesn't intend to run anytime soon

Jeb Bush: No Place For Father, Reagan In Today's GOP

QuoteQuote:
Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush said today that both Ronald Reagan and his father George H. W. Bush would have had a difficult time getting nominated by today's ultra-conservative Republican Party.

"Ronald Reagan would have, based on his record of finding accommodation, finding some degree of common ground, as would my dad — they would have a hard time if you define the Republican party — and I don’t — as having an orthodoxy that doesn’t allow for disagreement, doesn’t allow for finding some common ground," Bush said, adding that he views the hyper-partisan moment as "temporary."

"Back to my dad’s time and Ronald Reagan’s time – they got a lot of stuff done with a lot of bipartisan suport," he said. Reagan "would be criticized for doing the things that he did."

Bush cited, in particular, "the budget deal my dad did, with bipartisan support — at least for a while — that created the spending restraint of the ‘90s," a reference to a move widely viewed now as a political disaster for Bush, breaking a pledge against tax increases and infuriating conservatives. It was, Bush said, "helpful in creating a climate of more sustainted economic growth."

"Politically it clearly didn't work out — he was a one term president," his son said.

Bush called the present partisan climate "disturbing."

"It’s just a different environment left and right," he said of "this dysfunction."

And Bush also blamed President Obama for much of the conflict.

"His first year could have been a year of enormous accomplishment had he focused on things where there was more common ground," he said, arguing that Obama had made a "purely political calculation" to run a sharply partisan administration.

His remarks to a group of reporters and editors at the headquarters of Bloomberg LP in Manhattan were the latest in a series of concerns Bush, one of the best-respected figures in his party, has raised about its current direction. Other Republicans, including former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, have suggested that this GOP wouldn't nominate Reagan, who raised taxes and made grand bargains with Democrats on immigration and fiscal issues. Bush also repeated criticism of the "tone" of the discussion of immigration issues.

Bush said that Mitt Romney's move to channel Republicans' anger over immigration in the primary has put him "in somewhat of a box" in the general election. He advised Romney to offer a "broader and more intense" approach to the issue. He suggested Romney continue to campaign in Hispanic communities, that he recast immigration as an economic issue, and that he focus on the question of education.

"I do feel a little out of step with my party on this," he said.

06-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes but in this climate, both Ronald Reagan and Bush senior could have won as Democrats, which is what current day Republicans would accuse them of being.
06-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Yes but in this climate, both Ronald Reagan and Bush senior could have won as Democrats, which is what current day Republicans would accuse them of being.
LOL

Also the ink wasn't even dry on the inauguration papers before they were calling for his "head"................
The sad part is these moderate Republicans.. IF they had any real "morality' would join the current Dem "party"............ instead of whining...
06-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Seems like Graham neither...
QuoteQuote:
As a conservative Republican, Lindsey Graham has never had a problem promising not to raise taxes. Like almost every other Republican member of Congress, during his last re-election campaign, he signed the anti-tax pledge put forth by Grover Norquist's group Americans for Tax Reform.

But now Graham says the debt crisis is so severe that the tax pledge — which says no tax loopholes can be eliminated unless every dollar raised by closing loopholes goes to tax cuts -- has got to go.

"When you eliminate a deduction, it's okay with me to use some of that money to get us out of debt. That's where I disagree with the pledge," said Graham.

The Americans for Tax Reform pledge commits signers to "oppose any and all efforts to increase the marginal income tax rates for individuals and/or businesses … and oppose any net reduction or elimination of deductions and credits, unless matched dollar for dollar by further reducing tax rates."

Graham said eliminating some deductions should free up money to lower tax rates — but also to pay down U.S. debt.

"I just think that makes a lot of sense. And if I'm willing to do that as a Republican, I've crossed a rubicon," said Graham.

This puts Graham at odds with his party's leadership. Just last August, when the eight Republican presidential candidates were asked if they would reject a deal with $10 in spending cuts for every $1 in revenue, all eight said they would walk away. But Graham is now raising his hand for increased revenues — he says he could support a plan that included $4 in spending cuts for every $1 in increased tax revenue.

"We're so far in debt, that if you don't give up some ideological ground, the country sinks," said Graham.
Top conservative says read my lips: Don?t sign ?no new tax? pledge | Power Players - Yahoo! News

Then again, this mini-trend could be an indication of two things:
1) the Norquist stranglehold may be loosening
2) the Establishment Republicans are helping Romney tack towards the middle