Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Banned

Brazilian Boy, Wakes Up At His Own Funeral, But Only Briefly

QuoteQuote:
A two-year-old boy sat up in his coffin and asked for water before laying back down again lifeless, according to a Brazilian news website.

In a case that seems almost too incredible to be true, ORM claimed that Kelvin Santos stopped breathing during treatment for pneumonia at a hospital in Belem, northern Brazil.

He was declared dead at 7.40pm on Friday and his body was handed over to his family in a plastic bag.

The child's devastated family took him home where grieving relatives held a wake throughout the night, with the boy's body laid in an open coffin.

But an hour before his funeral was due to take place on Saturday the boy apparently sat up in his coffin and said: 'Daddy, can I have some water?'.

The boy's father, Antonio Santos, said: 'Everybody started to scream, we couldn't believe our eyes. Then we thought a miracle had taken place and our boy had come back to life.

'Then Kelvin just laid back down, the way he was. We couldn't wake him. He was dead again.

Mr Santos rushed his son back to the Aberlardo Santos hospital in Belem,where the doctors reexamined the boy and confirmed that he had no signs of life.

He said: 'They assured me that he really was dead and gave me no explanation for what we had just seen and heard.'

The boy's family decided to delay the funeral for an hour in the hope that he would wake up again, but ended up burying him at 5pm that day in a local cemetery.
'Dead' Brazilian boy wakes up at his own funeral and asks for WATER before lying back down lifeless | Mail Online

06-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ephinephrine is helpful in these circumstances, if no one's got adrenalin handy, by the way.
06-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder if he was really dead before they put him in the plastic bag? However, without video, I am not sure it can be believed.
06-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There's no way you'd bury him if you thought there was a chance he'd 'wake up' again. I really hope this story is not true frankly.

06-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
There's no way you'd bury him if you thought there was a chance he'd 'wake up' again. I really hope this story is not true frankly.
'No way?' Nonsense. Until the late 19th century, since certain burial demands as to time hastened stuff, they used to actually put tubes in the ground in case of accidental burials. Poe wrote horror stories about it. Trust me, people have often thought 'there was a chance' and buried them anyway. (to 'obey and save souls,' of course) The chimney on your house may even be a design-descendant of something originally made for the very purpose.

Even in Christianity, you know how some soldie speared yer Jesus? Crucificixion was the cruellest punishment imaginmable, but the reason that's in the story is cause they weren't about to go burying anyone alive. (This was accrding to story, reserved for 'Vestal Virgins' in flagrant dishonor.) But it wasn't about trying to be extra-mean, it was actually cause people getting buried before they were actualy dead was a real concern. And continued to be. I've croaked and come back myself, without benefit of a defribrillator, myself. It's not actuallly that weird. People used to screw this up all the time. And what's more, they knew it. (There was even fads where they'd bury bells on strings not too long ago, right here in the US in case observing the 'literal rituals' meant a mistake had happened. The patent office is full of such devices. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-11-2012 at 07:35 PM.
06-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Perhaps I should have said "There's no way I'd bury him".

I thought that wrists were usually cut to prevent this kind of thing? It's a tragedy no matter how you look at it and I doubt the people involved will ever get over it. There will always be that doubt that they did the right thing in the end.
06-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Even in Christianity, you know how some soldie speared yer Jesus? Crucificixion was the cruellest punishment imaginmable, but the reason that's in the story is cause they weren't about to go burying anyone alive.
Without trying for a P&R discussion, I'll just note that Roman crucifixion practice used short crosses, not tall ones. That was so the bodies would be close to the ground, to be torn apart by dogs. (And part of the reason dogs are not honored pets in some cultures.) Crucifixion was a compound punishment: intense pain and suffering, and nothing left to bury, so the spirit could never find peace. Just piles of bones to toss into the rubbish tip.

QuoteQuote:
I've croaked and come back myself, without benefit of a defribrillator, myself. It's not actuallly that weird.
Ditto here. It *is* weird to feel very tired, palpate the jugular, and feel no pulse. Then a bit later it restarts. That's what led me to find a cardiologist.

Last edited by RioRico; 06-11-2012 at 09:11 PM.
06-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OT- Rat you really do know alot of stuff about alot of stuff! Next time I have to get down your way I'd really like to buy you a beer or coffee and chat.
Back on topic - wow what a gut wrenching story!
Traditional burial at sea , bodies were sewn up in a wieghted canvas bag. he last stich went through the nose of the body with the thought if there was still life the intense pain would make the body stir.
06-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Without trying for a P&S discussion, I'll just note that Roman crucifixion practice used short crosses, not tall ones. That was so the bodies would be close to the ground, to be torn apart by dogs. (And part of the reason dogs are not honored pets in some cultures.) Crucifixion was a compound punishment: intense pain and suffering, and nothing left to bury, so the spirit could never find peace. Just piles of bones to toss into the rubbish tip.

That's actually a new one on me. It'll offend Christians to hear that crucifixion was reserved for rebel slaves and usurpers, but as a modern Pagan, now that gassing Jews over their theory didn't make good PR, they've been back to blaming 'Pagans' for how that never worked out in the first place, including their 'passion play.'

Yes I know a lot about things, (even Abrahamics having a dog issue) ....but either the Christians got their symbol really wrong, and it's not about suspending someone claiming to have authority over the order of the world being suspended between Earth and Sky, but rather some kind of 'Evil Romans think the best way to put down an insurrection is to give wild dogs a taste for human innnard...' (Ever deal with feral dogs? You wouldn't want to feed them people)

Where'd you even *get* that? Just for being a Pagan I get accused of eating babies on a regular basis while being called a commmie for not wanting to see people electrocuted. But that's a *real* new one on me.

Meanwhile the Christianer they get the more they want to execute anyone... Claim, 'We use the most humane way possible when we fry em, what else can we do, (Apart from, 'Have em breathe pure nitrogen, i doesn't even hurt. It's very simple.) "No! They must be punished! And suffer for our mercy!' Yah. Yah. Yah. It's right there. If you're so righteous. This is how they dispatch lab animals. CO2 poisoning hurts....a room full of nitrogen doesn't. And this is known. )

QuoteQuote:
Ditto here. It *is* weird to feel very tired, palpate the jugular, and feel no pulse. Then a bit later it restarts. That's what led me to find a cardiologist.

I guess all that embalming fluid they use these days ensures you're not getting up again? Yaknow? It wasn't exactly 'Emergency 51 rolls up with a level 1 response.' (speaking of 'Boston, Not LA...) But.. Befere trying to apply absolutes. Think.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-11-2012 at 09:06 PM.
06-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Weird story, but it's actually common. I wouldn't doubt the doctors guessed wrong when declared the boy was dead before handing him to the parents. Knowing how bad public health can be in Brazil, that's perfectly plausible.

There's something to be said about sh**** doctors.
Closed Thread