Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
anyone dealt with schmap?

I was told that one of my flickr photos was recently short-listed to be included blahblahblah
basically they might want to use one of my pictures. They might use it in their new guide, or could use it at any time in the future if I say "yes." They'll credit me with the applicable license I set if they use it.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I googled and found a few blog posts where people discussed/debated the good/bad of allowing these guys to use a picture, but the best page I found (the first one, if you can believe it) seemed to get stuck on a legalese point (was a lawyer's blog LOL). On top of that, that post and its comments were from early 2006.

Anyone have some experience with this? Just looking for whatever info anyone might have. Either way I'm tempted to just say yes because I don't think it's a very good photo

01-22-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, it's obviously a decision you have to make for yourself, xixco. However, do remember that publicity can be a form of payment, especially for those just starting out. Therefore, the most obvious factor is how much you value the image versus how much you value any publicity gained from having the image used in this manner. Again, only you can answer those questions.

stewart
01-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your reply stewart_photo! I may very well give the OK for the picture (which doesn't guarantee it will be used anyway), but really what I was looking for was any sort of input regarding the "effects" of dealing with this site, something like: "My friend OK'd a photo for them, and then got inundated with spam from them." I'm sorry I didn't make that clear in the first place.

The fact that no one who's read this has commented....is weird. LOL Then again, I'd never heard of schmup until they e-mailed me.
01-23-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I got the same email the other day. I have not decided what to do yet. It is a simple photo of a store front. I may go ahead for fun.