Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #16

The red stuff is gunna be reaching over 95˚F, possibly 105˚F for the next week or two here in the "Golden West" (that really should read "straw brown"/scorched) whilst our cousins in Qld, NSW and Victoria are over their heads in water. Bl**dy disasterous all round. So bad that I have mud on the loungeroom carpet where it overflowed from the pictures on the tele!

01-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #17
Forum Member

It was -43°F outside this morning. Did you know that at that temperature resting car tires will actually freeze into the shape they're resting in, so when you start driving it's quite bumpy until the tires thaw and become circular again? I wish I didn't.
01-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GEli Quote
It was -43°F outside this morning. Did you know that at that temperature resting car tires will actually freeze into the shape they're resting in, so when you start driving it's quite bumpy until the tires thaw and become circular again? I wish I didn't.
I had that happen to me once, we went to visit my sister over the weekend a few winters ago so I didn't drive my car for a few days. When I got in to go to work the next Monday it was really bumpy, so I thought I had a flat tire, but I couldn't find it. It actually took it a couple of days to get back to normal.
01-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You win (for this year anyway) - Not sure I would want that winning distinction but yeah unforutnatley I have expereinced that bumpty bumpty assuming the car even started.

01-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I have never seen it that cold, nor do I want to. I have heard trees split from the cold tho. One of my favorite memories of forestry school (of all time actually) was one winter evening, it had been snowning all day and that evening a cold front blew thru. The temp dropped from about 20F to about -25F (-7C to -32C) in the space of about 3 hrs. The sky got REAL clear and every star seemed close enough to touch. We snowshoed out to the middle of the lake and there was a small meteor shower going on. The stars, the shooting stars and the SNNNNNNAAAAAPPPP! of splitting trees echoing off the hills made it one of Ma Nature's better multimedia shows. We stayed out there for about 1/2 hr ---45 minutes, proving once again that many college students have more bravado than sense. But it was incredibly beautiful.

NaCl(but even college students know better than to go out in -43!!!! )H2O