Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-15-2012, 04:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Guilty Pleasures....

I just got done watching the premiere of the new Dallas. Loved every backstabbing minute of it too. My Mom and Dad actually let me watch Dallas when I was a little kid, a kid way too young to be watching that kind of stuff! I always liked Patrick Duffy and I was very sad when they cancelled Man From Atlantis after one season so when he showed up on Dallas as Bobby they let me watch. Big mistake. Probably warped me for life watching that show so young. (wink) I was a little skeptical they were going to be able to recreate and update it though. But they surprised me. I really liked it. I don't have too many shows I watch regularly, maybe 5 all year long and most of them are 12 episode shows at that, but I'm definitely adding the new Dallas to the list. Anybody else watching? Just curious....

06-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I remember the original although I never watched it.

I thought that the title of this thread might refer to some photographs of chocolates or something like that.

However, enjoy the show.

I was sceptical about a new British version of Sherlock Holmes with a young guy in the title role, but I have throughly enjoyed all the episodes.

Always nice when they can successfully update a classic and you enjoy it just as much.
06-15-2012, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
I was sceptical about a new British version of Sherlock Holmes with a young guy in the title role, but I have throughly enjoyed all the episodes. Always nice when they can successfully update a classic and you enjoy it just as much.
Yep particularly when their doing it means you get to watch someone like Benedict Cumberbatch do his thing. Great actor, definitely, and OMG is he ever F-able, blush, um, I mean amazing looking. I would just KILL to get that man in front of my camera. Okay and somewhere else too, lol, but I digress. Scuze me, I'm opening drooling here I know, but he's a MAJOR crush that guy. My libido (which isn't all that easy to please) just loves him for some reason.

Apparently I'm not the only one. The man has legions of women sighing over him. When it comes to men I really like them interesting looking, kind of tall, UK oriented, and with a tendency towards being a bit of a smart arse. Geek chic kind of turns me on. Needles to say I also drool a lot over David Tennant. I rather like Colin Firth's younger brother Jon a lot too. Looking at the 3 of them that pretty much personifies my favorite "type" grin.

Talk about major bones though. I don't think I've ever seen green eyes quite that color. I like Cumberbatch better semi-ginger though. The dark hair for Sherlock is striking, and I suppose they couldn't just have a ginger Sherlock, but his own natural color is very nice I think. A man wearing reddish hair that well is unusual. I like redheaded guys a lot actually, particularly when they have an accent from the UK, or thereabouts. Unlike some people I tend to find ginger hair very attractive on a guy. He's a very interesting looking man, Cumberbatch. That he's genuinely talented is way cool. Lovely voice too. The man could read a grocery list and I'd probably be happy to listen.

I was bound to watch Sherlock at least to see it. I'm a total Holmes geek, always have been since I first read Doyle as a kid, but I honestly love the way they've updated him for this show. I like the new movies with RDJ too, but Cumberbatch he just IS Homes for me now and I really like Martin Freeman as Watson besides. I can't wait for the Hobbit now and ST2. That they're both in the Hobbit is something I am really jazzed about. I can't wait to see Freeman's Bilbo actually. He's just perfect for it.

Oh, and chocolate, particularly good chocolate, definitely a guilty pleasure.....

Last edited by magkelly; 06-15-2012 at 05:57 PM.
06-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hmmm, I wouldn't say that Benedict is 'F-able', (well, not to me) but he is a great actor, I admire him and the way he portrays Holmes, it's the way I wish I could be. Love his analysis scenes when he looks at something and figures it all out in one minute. Also, once in a while when he does admit to Watson that he is not perfect. I watched a show about the behind the scenes of the series and the two main leads get along really well in real life which certainly shows in the TV show.

One thing I really like is the real undercurrent of friendship and affection between Holmes & Watson. Some of the early films had Watson as a bit of a buffoon, although the books always had them both as friends. The British TV series in the 80s also had them as 'equals' which I liked. MInd you, in real life I think you'd want to strangle Holmes after meeting him for about 10 seconds.

I think the real thing is that the writers and creators haven't changed the basic Holmes & Watson, just a clever update.

Typical British show, they only do a few episodes each year which leaves you panting for more.(I will admit that!!)

Interesting you liked David Tennant, I really enjoyed his portrayal of Doctor Who. One of the best. Many years ago he was also in a Scottish show called 'Taking Over The Asylum'. Great in that as well.

06-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Until Tennant came along my favorite Doctor was hands down #5, Peter Davison. Unlike a lot of Who fans I was never much into Tom Baker's portrayal and he didn't personify The Doctor to me. I've liked a lot of the other Doctors too, most of them except Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy. Colin Baker I really didn't like at all. McCoy I can take or leave but most of the others I'd watch more than once and have. But Tennant? He just rocked as The Doctor, IMHO. He was born to play that part. Loved the show, was a fan, and man did it ever show in his Doctor. Favorite moment in the whole series for me was seeing his Doctor and Davison's Doctor interacting. I just loved that.

Tennant's the best Doctor EVER, IMHO. He was terrific even when the scripts occasionally sucked. Matt Smith is getting a lot of love but he's just not doing all that much for me. He's fine but I wouldn't mind a regeneration pretty soon let's put it that way. Watching him is a lot like watching Doctors 1-3 and while I did watch and enjoy them to some extent I never got into them as much as I did some of the later Doctors. Once Matt Smith is done? I'll probably never watch him again. Can't say that of Davison or Tennant. I still watch those two all the time.

I really like Davison, Eccleson, McGann. I was really glad when the latter started doing audio actually as I thought his 8th Doctor was excellent. Movie was crappy, but he was awesome and I would have loved to have seen more of his Doctor on screen actually. I think it's hugely funny actually that my favorite childhood Doctor is now the father in law of my later favorite one, and that his daughter who played that Doctor's cloned daughter is now married to a man who played the same character. Talk about keeping it all in the family, lol.

I never miss an episode of Who no matter who is playing The Doctor though. I was raised on Trek but I found Who on my own and I love it dearly. It's one of the handful of series that I just will not give up. They say Cumberbatch was on the short list to play The Doctor when Tennant left but that he turned it down. I'm glad he took Sherlock, but I still really wish he'd play that character someday only if in an audio adventure. There's been talk about him playing the Master too, and I guess he could do either one, but if ever a man was born to play The Doctor he definitely was. I wouldn't mind seeing him do both, and why not? If Peter Cushing can do it so can Cumberbatch, but I don't think he's going to. He doesn't seem all that inclined. Unfortunately, because he would make one HECK of a Doctor, I think. A good Master too, but definitely a terrific Doctor....

Oh and Tennant has a new show coming up, some detective thing and if you haven't seen Davison play Albert Campion you should. The Campion Mysteries are out on video now and they are a worthy buy. People know Davison more for All Creatures Great and Small but he was just wonderful as Campion. Major favorite series of mine, and not just because he's in it. The whole cast was great.

Last edited by magkelly; 06-15-2012 at 06:22 PM.
06-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You're right, Cumberbatch WOULD make a great Doctor. He would also make a great Master.

I always thought that Doctor Who was the perfect type of show. You can replace your lead man whenever you want and the audience look forward to it, the companions can come & go and the high-tech Tardis always sounds like a low-tech piece of junk. The Daleks & Cybermen remain completely evil and the Doctor always tries his best to never take a life. The show doesn't take itself seriously, actually, many British shows don't take themselves seriously. Long live Doctor Who

I guess my all-time favourite Doctor would be Jon Pertwee, he was also the first Doctor I ever watched. I guess I was around 13-15 years old and his companion at that time was a lovely blonde called Jo Grant. I guess that's why I always remember them. I always thought Jo would make the perfect girlfriend. Ahhh, childhood and adolescent memories. Luckily the heartache and anguish go and we do truly remember the good times.
06-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't know about that one. I have some really excruciating memories of my adolescence, laugh. Freaking over 40 years old and some things still bug me though I do my best to just keep let it all go. It's easier when I'm not here. 6000 miles cross country from this fetid swam of a place I'm a lot happier. Being back here, watching over my parents, that's actually rather difficult. The things we do for love, sigh....

There are people in this town with a lot shorter memories than mine who seem to think it's perfectly okay to act I was their best friend back in high school when in reality they spent most of their time making me feel like crap. They come up to me and it's like "Oh HI! How are you?" and I still have to restrain myself from spitting into their vapid oblivious airhead faces. One guy even asked me if I was "available" recently. I just couldn't help it I nearly burst out laughing. It was so absurd. This guy spent most of my adolescence he and his pack of rabid hound dogs harassing me and I'm supposed to now want to date him? There aren't too many unattached women our age, at least not those who don't already know he's an arse probably. He thinks I have a short memory, I guess, snort. I was politer than he deserved but only because I am an adult now and besides my aunt was watching and she'd have been upset with me if I had been outright rude to him.

She's one of those people that will still hand you a glass of sweet tea with a lovely smile even if she can't freaking stand you. Course the smile will make you wonder for just a moment if you're risking being poisoned, but you'll still drink up rather than face her consternation, laugh. I told her later, the whole story and she was shocked though. "That nice boy?" she said like she was just amazed at the very thought that he could have once been a nasty mouthed skirt chasing thug.

Living here sometimes it's like living in an extra long episode of American Gothic. I even have my own personal antichrist in my one brother who looks so much like actor Gary Cole that it's downright spooky. I'd write a book but I don't think people would believe half the stuff that goes on here even if I wrote it as fiction....:P

06-18-2012, 03:16 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Last series of Torchwood was pretty good too. Good UK shows, if you've not seen them, include Spooks (about MI5), Hustle (about con artists) and, for comedy, give Spaced a go and see how many cultural references you can spot. And MK, I'm a smart-arsed Brit with red hair, should I be worried? Lol
06-18-2012, 04:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Depends. Are you young enough to be my son? Or old enough to be my Dad? If so you're probably safe, wink. I may look when they're under 35 over over 50 but I don't go there. I'm not a cougar and I don't really date guys way older than I am. I love Torchwood and have seen good things about Spooks. Hustle and Spaced are new to me though. I'll have to see what they are about. FYI, I grew up on Great Performances, Masterpiece Theater, The Shakespeare Plays, Claudius, Poldark and Mystery. My Mom and Dad had this mistaken idea that if something was on PBS it couldn't be too adult for me to watch. Boy were they wrong! There was more sex and scandal in every episode of Claudius than in anything on prime time TV.

I picked up the lingo very well though actually. I can sit in a UK type pub and be surrounded by UK guys and totally have them on that I'm from over there. My UK accents are all pretty good actually. My Irish is my best, but that one comes naturally. My Great-Gran was straight off the boat, and my Gran and I hung out a lot when I was little. My Scots isn't bad, but my various London accents are better. I can do just about all of them fairly well except for Welsh. There's a certain sound to Welsh speech, even when they're speaking what passes for English, that I just can't quite get.

But that's where my whole UK guy thing started....
06-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Agree about Torchwood & Spooks. Quite good shows.

Yes, PBS is about education, ALL types!!

For anyone who can't find Spooks on PBS look under MI-5, it gets renamed in North America, (Spooks in UK, MI-5 over here).
06-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-06-18 at 1.40.42 PM.png
Views: 205
Size:  200.9 KB
06-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I can do just about all of them fairly well except for Welsh. There's a certain sound to Welsh speech, even when they're speaking what passes for English, that I just can't quite get.

But that's where my whole UK guy thing started....
Have you watched Gavin & Stacey? Actually quite fun.