Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are we about to take one step closer to 1984

QuoteQuote:
In the far distance a helicopter skimmed down between the roofs, hovered for an instant like a bluebottle, and darted away again with a curving flight. It was the police patrol, snooping into people's windows.
George Orwell - 1984

Given the success of flying drones in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan/Pakistan the kind people who brought you the Patriot Act now want to begin using them to conduct surveillance in the U.S. I realize this isn't a new subject, but it is getting much closer to being a reality.

Don't let drones invade our privacy - CNN.com

I'll be the first to admit that I have no problem with being photographed in public either by a fellow citizen or by the government. It does give me pause that the government has an almost unlimited ability to "fuse" the data they have about us to reveal any aspect of our lives that they desire, but this fusion is what should be illegal unless I am a legally designated target of a criminal investigation (ie: a warrant), not necessarily the taking of an individual or group of photographs.

Of course, these drones are not only going to be taking photos of us in public. They are going to be watching everywhere... in our private rural retreats, in our suburban back yards, on our city rooftops and yes, possibly even into our windows...

My proposal should this ever become a reality... every time you see one of these damned things... flip em off with both hands. I'd say moon em too, but then they could arrest you for indecent exposure.

Mike

06-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Hey Mike Welcome to Obamanation.

Let's hope they don't arm the drones and start assassinating citizen's who don't agree with their agenda here at home too.
06-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mike,
We are not "about to", we have been moving in that direction for quite some time, slowly but surely. Sorry.

As for "obamanation" - he's not the first, not the last. The genius before him was a worse offender and, I bet if Mitt goes to Washington, he's going to continue the trend with vigor.
06-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Hey Mike Welcome to Obamanation.

Let's hope they don't arm the drones and start assassinating citizen's who don't agree with their agenda here at home too.
GWB is the one who really started us seriously down this road

QuoteOriginally posted by sinus007 Quote
Mike,
We are not "about to", we have been moving in that direction for quite some time, slowly but surely. Sorry.

As for "obamanation" - he's not the first, not the last. The genius before him was a worse offender and, I bet if Mitt goes to Washington, he's going to continue the trend with vigor.
I did say "one step closer."

Mike

06-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm not sure I'd blame any one president for this - once the technology is there the pressure to use it is there as well. Until there's legal and/or legistlative challenge, "National Security" will prevail, sooner or later. About the best we can expect is that one prez or another drags his heels on the matter.

But then there's the private sector drones...
06-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hmmm.... Private sector drones. If you spot one circling over your back yard and occasionally buzzing in for a closer view, would the Stand Your Ground laws so popular in some areas justify your potting it with a 12 gauge double?
06-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Our ANG unit switched from F-16s to Reaper drones a few years ago. All of the drones are deployed overseas, they can't deploy them here because the base is attached to a civilian airport. Chuck Schumer has been trying to get that law passed for a few years now. A local defense contractor, Sensis (now owned by Saab), was supposed to be developing a way to make them safer to operate around airports.

It was announced that the drones were going to be operated over the Adirondacks and the US/Canadian border for "training" purposes. I don't know where they would be deployed from, probably the old Plattsburgh Air Base or Fort Drum.
06-15-2012, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

get yourself a bunch of hard to see clear mylar helium balloons and propeller snagging fishing line and go drone fishing. :P

06-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't like the idea of drones flying around, but at what point has it become an issue?

The difference between drones with cameras and all of the public cameras that exist in subways, intersections, bridges, and on on freeways is simple a matter of mobility. Is it the mobility that is an issue?

Helicopters and planes have been flying for years taking pictures, and Google has practically photographed the entire planet. What is the difference between a helicopter flying around with a camera and a drone? One is manned and one is unmanned?

The government has been doing this for years. We are the ones that give them the power to do so. Nobody to blame but ourselves.

Last edited by Winder; 06-15-2012 at 11:52 AM.
06-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. As I'm reading this I've got Tomcats or some such buzzing my house. The whole city, actually--in celebration of the bicentennial of the War of 1812 (and we all know what an important role air-power played in that skirmish, right? ;~)

Last edited by dadipentak; 06-15-2012 at 12:08 PM.
06-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
get yourself a bunch of hard to see clear mylar helium balloons and propeller snagging fishing line and go drone fishing. :P
And if you catch one?
06-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
And if you catch one?
Prepare to have your doors kicked in :P
06-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I don't like the idea of drones flying around, but at what point has it become an issue?

The difference between drones with cameras and all of the public cameras that exist in subways, intersections, bridges, and on on freeways is simple a matter of mobility. Is it the mobility that is an issue?

Helicopters and planes have been flying for years taking pictures, and Google has practically photographed the entire planet. What is the difference between a helicopter flying around with a camera and a drone? One is manned and one is unmanned?

The government has been doing this for years. We are the ones that give them the power to do so. Nobody to blame but ourselves.
I agree, and the government is only the beginning. It never ceases to amaze me how many street corners of the earth I can view on my own computer.
06-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
It never ceases to amaze me how many street corners of the earth I can view on my own computer

My personal favorite are the EarthCams in N.Y.C.; especially the two in times square directly outside of the McDonalds. All of the ones in Times Square used to have sound; and used to have it quite well. At about 0500 hours one could hear a cafe conversation and also conversations of passerby's. It's since been readjusted.

Also in general reference to Google cams viewable from most any computer... What you are seeing is the tones down version. The *real* version shows well over four times the resolution from the aerial level; the unedited street view (coming around soon to be in 3d - city by city) is also so high res is can read which denomination of dollar bill you have - from fifty feet.

Also... Some LEO's and other emergency service organizations have a version of Google that even shoes the entire blueprint of ones house; just by zoomng over it. Quite useful in fighting structure fires. As a matter of fact in the general Pittsburgh region the local Allegheny County website (at one time) even had a public version of this; which showed even more... Zoom over a house and a god portion of them (well over 100k++ houses) had their county assesment pics on them - that's the pics from inside of the houses. It even had quite the amount of details about the homeowners. Most of the data since removed from public view, but it is also technically still out there if you know where to look
06-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Are we about to take one step closer to 1984
What bothers me is not how much they know about me but how little I am allowed to know about them.

For instance:
How much could a major corporation know about the intimate details of my life, if it wanted to know, compared to how much am I allowed to know about the decisions of that same corporations CEO's and the inner deliberations of it's board of directors?

Last edited by wildman; 06-15-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Closed Thread