Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
To answer the first question; seen any fat Marines lately? Yes
Don't know about Marines in particular, but this has been a problem for some time. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/29/fashion/thursdaystyles/29Fitness.html?pagewanted=all I was just talking to the mother of a service member about how her daughter and others struggle to stay slim enough to pass the relaxed standards. The military eventually allowed her to remain even though she did not pass those standards. The military is even spending money of gastric bypass surgeries. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2057726/Military-spent-363million-WE...ves-years.html

06-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
Do you have a link handy with details?
Michelle Obama: Poor nutrition 'a national security issue' - POLITICO.com
06-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

When the military is spending millions on gastric bypasses, I'd say she might possibly have a point.
06-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
When the military is spending millions on gastric bypasses, I'd say she might possibly have a point.
When Social Services is spending millions on Moon Pies and billions on diet related health care problems..........

BTW that article you posted about military surgical proceedures http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2057726/Military-spent-363million-WE...ves-years.html is somewhat misleading if not read in it's entirety. Towards the end it does state that the vast majority of the proceedures were covered by insurance and performed on clinically obese spouses

Last edited by seacapt; 06-20-2012 at 09:11 AM.
06-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
When Social Services is spending millions on Moon Pies and billions on diet related health care problems ....
Then I would agree they need to spend more on food and food education. Moon pies are pretty cheap, fill the stomach and have about the protein and fat of a chicken wing. The carbs are a killer, though.

Last edited by GeneV; 06-20-2012 at 09:05 AM.
06-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #21
Veteran Member

All she's trying to do from what I can tell is make sure soldiers have some healthy options available.

"Obama was in Little Rock, Ark. to announce a new healthy food initiative within the Department of Defense that will bring more whole grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat options to 1,000 military dining facilities, affecting nearly 1.5 million troops."

This is a bad thing? I went to a nearby base recently with my parents. Hadn't been in a while. I was pretty stunned to see several major fast food vendors right next to the main dining hall and not too far from the hospital. Not outside the gates but ON the base. It made me wonder actually if the food in the canteen was edible. I mean if they have to augment it with that many FF places to keep the personnel happy it can't be all that great, right?
06-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #22

I'm pro-breast feeding

06-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
So the general consensus is we can't disqualify a few items like soda, koolaid . candy and desert cakes from purchase with food stamps but we can change our service personel's diet at the First Lady's whim?
I was wondering how long it would take for you to slam the First Lady. You people have problem with her, too bad.
06-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Reminds me of Apocolypse Now where the chef explains that he joined the navy because he heard they had the best food but quit cooks school b/c he would rather get shot at than prepare food the Navy way after he saw them boiling prime ribs.
The Navy gets the gravy but the arm gets the beans.

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
All she's trying to do from what I can tell is make sure soldiers have some healthy options available.

"Obama was in Little Rock, Ark. to announce a new healthy food initiative within the Department of Defense that will bring more whole grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat options to 1,000 military dining facilities, affecting nearly 1.5 million troops."

This is a bad thing? I went to a nearby base recently with my parents. Hadn't been in a while. I was pretty stunned to see several major fast food vendors right next to the main dining hall and not too far from the hospital. Not outside the gates but ON the base. It made me wonder actually if the food in the canteen was edible. I mean if they have to augment it with that many FF places to keep the personnel happy it can't be all that great, right?
Organic MRE's? (that was rhetorical)

As far as BHO kicking of a health food kick, they need to start practicing what the preach. He stiffed a barbeque joint last week after it fed his crew. The S.S. had to double back later in the day and pay the bill. I wonder how many burger, barbeque and dogs (real or the kind that goes on a bun) Biden and Obama eat every week.

Last edited by Blue; 06-21-2012 at 04:11 PM.
06-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Then the DI said " I want to see yogart and sprouts on those plates you maggots " !