Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seen Any Fat Marines Lately?

Don't know about you folks but I live pretty close to 3 military installations and I just don't see fat Marines , Sailors or Coasties.
Want to know what I do see alot of?
I see lots of fat slovenly tattoed women using Govnt. EBT cards (food stamps) to buy soda , pork rinds , hotdogs , twinkies , ice cream ,cookies , sugar frosted cocoa pulp breakfast flakes etc. while toting their fat slovenly ill behaved candy sucking ,donut eating multi lineage kids though the grocery store (and I'm not even talking Walmart)!
So to my point.
The first thing Michelle Obama supported was putting better quality food in public school cafeterias to try aiding in the fight against chilhood obiesity. This was a great idea and I supported her efforts 100%
Next she started the Lets Move program which again I wholeheartedly support.
The problem with both programs is that they are not supported by those fat tattoed women with food stamps who I memtioned earlier.
The next move by Michelle was to pave the road so to speak and allow Wallmart to open mini centers in areas deemed "food deserts" thereby putting many small family owned grocery's , fruit and vegetable stands and butcher shops out of business. Not much support from me on that one but hey aren't there some financial ties between the Obamas and WallyWorld?
Now Michelle is changing the menus at millitary mess halls. I'm all for giving our service personel more choices in their diet but not for shoving unwanted soggy " turnip surprise " down their throats.efense spending is being cut , what will the study of the new chow cost?
So Michelle I really don't think that messing with millitary menus or telling an adult who just got his ass shot off in combat to eat his veggies are the best ways to achive your goal.
So how about a common sense approach to our national surplus of fat asses?
More specifically tattoed slovenly food stamp receiving fat asses?
Why not make food stamps only good for nutritious foods? Impossible to implement - no not at all , the WIC program has opperated that way for many years.
I think the answer is "We can't go there because it would be political suicide" . If we took away those free Ding Dongs and Mountain Dews those fat slovenly tattoed women would vote for somebody else!

Last edited by seacapt; 06-19-2012 at 08:25 PM.
06-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I've always wondered why they don't just eliminate any processed foods from food stamp eligibility. WIC has its own problems, for example it encourages the use of formula over healthier breast feeding.
06-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

They don't eliminate them because even poor folks deserve a treat now and again. I'm not saying people on or off food stamps should be loading their carts with more junk food than regular. Common sense says otherwise, but you can't just play food cop and say that anyone on food stamps can't ever have anything sweet or salty and crunchy or whatever. Kids do like the odd dessert cake in their lunch box. People do like a few chips on the plate with a sandwich. FYI, a lot of elderly people are on food stamps and they do need the calories. Not everyone has the ability to cook full meals. Many poor people live in one room and aren't even allowed a hot plate. There's only so many peanut butter sandwiches a person can eat and many food stamps programs don't allow the purchase of hot foods. Not every community has a meals on wheels program.

If it was up to my Dad all he would live on lately is candy bars, cookies, Boost shakes, and Coke. It's not that he's dumb about nutrition it's just that he's old and he just doesn't have the energy or the appetite he used to. Even when I cook for him it's a struggle to get him to eat a lot. Most foods just don't make him feel hungry. A candy bar isn't the greatest thing for him to be eating, but some days if he gets in another 200 cals eating on I'm not all that unhappy. Even his doctor tells him eat whatever appeals. It's either that or he's a walking skeleton.

My point is you just don't know what people's circumstances are. You don't know why they're on food stamps. You don't know if they have health issues that make them heavy or not. Or if they have the ability to make better food or whatever. You can't just assume that people on food stamps have all the advantages because many of them don't. To be brutally honest I've had more than one person snark at my weight actually and I'm not that overweight compared to a lot of people I see here. The difference between me and a lot of the people around me though is that I genuinely do watch every calorie that goes into my mouth.

I have to. I have a very wonky thyroid. Right now I'm on hormones but I'm still a fair bit heavier than I should be. I eat 1586 cals a day, 6 days a week, and that's what the doctor says I should be eating. I get an extra 300 cals on Saturday for a treat, and no I don't cheat, at least hardly not ever. I'm human I mess up once in a while, but mostly I hit my calorie ration dead on all the time. On that level of cals I can barely hold my weight where it is let alone lose, and yeah, I do exercise. I run all over the place every day almost looking after 3 old people. By rights I should be a beanpole I'm on the move so much. I mostly was skinny all my life until my thyroid went haywire.

I used to get comments though when I was on food stamps. I couldn't put so much as a pint of ice cream or a candy bar in my cart without someone giving me evil looks and the irony was I was eating far less junk food than 90% of the people out there. Most people think nothing of sitting down to the odd bowl of ice cream. Me, I have to plan my treats. I have to make sure I get extra exercise on Saturday to warrant that extra 300 cals. You don't know okay? What you assume is sloth and gluttony might be something else. Likely it's not, it's just people not exercising and making bad food choices, but you don't know that. Everybody has their flaws. No one is perfect. We all do things that aren't particularly good for us. We all make mistakes. I just don't think that we should be going there, judging other people simply by the way they look that's all.

Looking at me you'd think I was a lot more of a glutton than I am to be blunt. That I am a good 40 lbs heavier than I'd like to be these days actually drives me totally nuts. I'm an ex-dancer and I came very close to being anorexic as a kid actually like most serious dance students. I was 110lbs soaking wet for years. 5 extra lbs I hate, let alone 40, but short of going into the hospital and living on nothing but air and whatever they can put into an IV drip I'm not likely to get back to what I weighed before this all started. I do what I can but I also realize that no everyone is as anal as I am about counting calories and getting my 30-60 of walking in every day. I'm in no place to judge anyone else. To assume anything. I'm walking proof that what seems to be isn't always necessarily what is. I used to snark at heavy people a lot more actually. Never thought I could ever be overweight. Now I'm rather shamefaced about the fact that I did. Mama Nature sure gave me my comeuppance on that score, sigh....
06-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The fattest military women are in the Navy.

06-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I've always wondered why they don't just eliminate any processed foods from food stamp eligibility. WIC has its own problems, for example it encourages the use of formula over healthier breast feeding.
I'm not sure why you say that Mike. Women on WIC who breast feed are given milk , eggs , cheese (yeah the real stuff) and bread vouchers. Those who choose not to or are unable to breast feed are given vouchers for formula.
06-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Mag I do understand what you're saying but I don't think we're on the same page or maybe even book.
I'm not talking about people having an occasional treat even at taxpayer expense. I'm talking about morbidly obese 25 year olds in stretch pants with fresh ink and 3 obese kids getting in the car at the grocery and downing a 2 litre Mountain Dew and a box of Crispy Kremes before they leave the parking lot. Heaven forbid that these Rubenesque godesses should have to lift a finger to prepare a healthy meal when their entitled to fill the cart with heat & eat entree's and candy bars.
Please don't get me wrong on the sexist angle either . I know there are plenty of obese men , however it's harder for a guy to get food stamps.

Last edited by seacapt; 06-19-2012 at 09:05 PM.
06-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah well I really don't think the expanding waistlines thing has that much to do with the food stamps program. It's not about how people get food. It's about the choices they make. You can't penalize everyone in a program over some of the people doing stupid stuff. All you can do is try to educate them and hope they listen. But we're also living in a culture that practically idolizes food and that openly encourages food addiction. It's not as easy as it used to be to eat right. Fast food on every corner. Everything is super sized. No time to cook. Most families don't even eat at the same table on a regular basis anymore. You have to really make the effort and let's face it most people they just don't care most of the time anymore. They just want to get the kids fed whatever it takes.
06-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The thing is, those 'treats' are incredibly cheap, so I'm not sure excluding them from food stamp eligibility will work. And it's not just food stamps recipients who are inhaling that crap on a daily basis, and causing a health care crisis down the road. Tax unhealthy treats, so that they genuinely are 'treats' and treated as such (rather than as staple foods) and directly use the money to provide health care access for the poor, perhaps even subsidising veg box schemes, healthy eating programmes etc.

And leave the military catering alone.

06-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #9
Banned

Photos: Albums
To answer the first question; seen any fat Marines lately? Yes

The standards for entering the military or staying in it have gone down considerably. I've seen people on the edge of the standard being given a GNC almost all supplement diet just to make it work out for them. And even in the Marines; not all that much hand to hand combat occurs anymore - especially compared to Vietnam or Korea.

As for the social programs system... I think of a majority of america is almost a type of Walmart society. Walmart actually gets government money for each of their hires, and then typically pays their employees about eleven (or so) an hour and keeps a majority of their employees on limited schedules. So in addition to Walmart getting social program money for one of the worlds largest companies; then a majority of those employees are also eligible for social programs.

Perhaps america is almost set to fail - hopefully soon
06-20-2012, 04:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm. Granted this was over 15 years ago, but when I was in the Army, the chow halls served some fairly high calorie food. But this was because we needed it. We burned through a lot of calories. Every day.
06-20-2012, 04:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
The thing is, those 'treats' are incredibly cheap, so I'm not sure excluding them from food stamp eligibility will work.

This is a good point. It costs a good deal more for a family to eat healthy, even if you prepare your own dishes and supplement with a back yard garden as we do.
06-20-2012, 05:25 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
And leave the military catering alone.
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
The fattest military women are in the Navy.
Reminds me of Apocolypse Now where the chef explains that he joined the navy because he heard they had the best food but quit cooks school b/c he would rather get shot at than prepare food the Navy way after he saw them boiling prime ribs.
06-20-2012, 06:00 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
This is a good point. It costs a good deal more for a family to eat healthy, even if you prepare your own dishes and supplement with a back yard garden as we do.
This really is the essence of the issue, and it has been addressed over and over in reports. It can cost much more to eat healthy foods. If you cut processed foods out of the food stamp program, you will probably increase the cost of the system. The government has tried hard to make the case for healthy food not being more expensive, but some of the arguments (i.e. not looking at food energy but size and weight of portions) are a bit strained. http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/eib96/eib96.pdf Yes, eating sawdust would make a larger portion for less money. Other reports seem a bit more realistic. Eating healthy food costs more money in U.S. | Reuters EverythingHealth: Eating Healthy is High Cost - USATODAY.com

Then there is also the problem with cooking dried beans (much cheaper than canned), raw foods, etc. while holding multiple jobs. And the fresh food lost to spoilage has to be added to the cost. I know that our food bill went up when we tossed out processed food.
06-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So the general consensus is we can't disqualify a few items like soda, koolaid . candy and desert cakes from purchase with food stamps but we can change our service personel's diet at the First Lady's whim?
06-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
... but we can change our service personel's diet at the First Lady's whim?
Do you have a link handy with details?