Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2015, 09:46 AM   #1516
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoy the wee Honda! Be safe and have loads of fun-the world looks different on two wheels.

01-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #1517
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
So yesterday I purchased a motorbike on an impulse......

It's nothing special, it's a Honda CT110, known more commonly in Australia as a "Postie bike" as they have been used by our postal service for deliveries for many, many years.

It needs some work, it's running, but rough, as it has spent a substantial portion of it's life on a farm.
I'm still waiting on confirmation if this one can be legally used on the road, as Honda made two versions, an AG version (for agricultural/farm usage only) and the Post version, specially made for the postal service (road use)

I suspect my one to be an agriculture version, due to the knobbly tyres, and the fact it has a high/low range gearbox fitted.

Regardless, it is so much fun, and gives me somehting to take around some dirt track etc and learn to ride (plus, I dont actually have a bike licence, so I need to get around to that)

Oh, that's cute. I don't think we have the equivalent over here in the States. There's scooters, (even a few offroadey ones, I suppose) and ATV's and formerly mopeds, but I don't know if those are sold anymore. Closest thing to that I've seen were some mopeds that were for all practical purposes just fairly low-powered motorcycles with token pedals and some sort of clutchless transmission. I think that was a loophole in the laws that got closed: there was really no plausible way you'd actually get anywhere on pedal power with those.

(Still been working on Ratmobile, finally even put fresh plugs in, and, well, I hope to use some warm days going on here to get a few more things done. Mostly worn-out bushings that don't really have to be part of my planned goings-over of the suspension and front of the engine, really, (Both of which involve a lot of things I may as well have apart all at once,) so I ordered those first as jobs that stood a chance of getting done before Spring. Replacing old rubber with pretty pretty blue polyurethane. )

Also, hi, haven't been feeling very talkative lately.
01-19-2015, 11:30 PM   #1518
Veteran Member

Glad to hear the Ratmobile is coming together well.

My partner half owns a Volvo 240GL ex-rally car, when it occationally decides to run it's good fun. (it's pretty much ruined though from the previosu owner's laziness, and rallying)

As for the bike, I believe they were sold in the US as the "Trail 110" but I'm not sure if they were ever used on the road, I do recall seeing though that they were apparently designed from the outset for the US market, especially farms.
01-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #1519
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Glad to hear the Ratmobile is coming together well.

My partner half owns a Volvo 240GL ex-rally car, when it occationally decides to run it's good fun. (it's pretty much ruined though from the previosu owner's laziness, and rallying)

As for the bike, I believe they were sold in the US as the "Trail 110" but I'm not sure if they were ever used on the road, I do recall seeing though that they were apparently designed from the outset for the US market, especially farms.
Hrm, possible. Possibly for where farms are bigger and/or flatter than I've ever worked on, anyway, or some other factor. (If they were all over like Indiana or something , I'd never have known it. The US tends to have laws that let you drive just about anything on your own property, so you see a lot of kids on dirt bikes or farm trucks with no kind of current plates sometimes. (I do wonder if that means there's a bunch of those in barns around the US if parts are an issue there. Or I can think of a friend who'd probably be into having one. When we were in the city she *loved* her old moped, lousy compression and all. (Common issue, that.) Their farm's where my old truck ended up a while, though still on the road of course.

Current Ratmobile at least hasn't been rallying, anyway. (If she had, someone might have changed some of these suspension bushings I hope to get at before the weather turns again. Pretty, pretty blue polyurethane. )

Also, from the mouths of babes:

6-Year-Old Petitions GM CEO Mary Barra to Build the El Camino | Best Ride Midnight Oil Auto Blog

01-23-2015, 07:28 PM   #1520
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Noticed a few antipodean fords in my travels over the new year hols so thought I'd share. Just quick snaps as I passed.

All K3 with 16-45 fitted, Capri is in Orewa NZ and falcons in Fremantle Oz.
01-23-2015, 07:38 PM   #1521
Veteran Member

Australia/NZ got some of the coolest cars that most of America doesn't even know about.
01-24-2015, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #1522
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Australia/NZ got some of the coolest cars that most of America doesn't even know about.
We think the same about the USA.

But the local stuff is pretty cool

01-24-2015, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #1523
Veteran Member

Yep. Though I wanted one of those Capris when I was like 5 years old. (They rusted out pretty quickly in New England, unfortunately)

Love those Ford coupes, though.
01-24-2015, 08:35 AM   #1524
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Brings back fond memories! I had a '59 Sears Moped identical to the one on the far right here...

Three of my best neighborhood friends had the same bike and we rode together all over the Metroplex and beyond. I could write a book of all our adventures and places they took us that would have otherwise been beyond our reach.
We knew every bolt, nut, and screw on them, and could overhaul one on the side of the road if necessary...which was not often. They were extremely reliable and other than cleaning the muffler and those two little straw sized exhaust pipes every few days, they were not prone to any serious problems. We rode many, many thousands of miles without much service. You could install new rings in less than an hour, and if kept lubricated the transmission was bulletproof. I'd have to say they were one of the highlights of my young life, and opened a world of travel that will never be forgotten. I went on to a '62 Triumph tr6, also a wonderful memory...but that little Moped opened the door to a lifetime of biking pleasure and adventure.

Regards!

Ratlady? You don't like us over in the Lounge anymore? We have removed Jim as head of entertainment, so there won't be any future 75 year old dancing nudes with a walker on Friday nights. That did run a lot of people off....I was sick myself for three days after her show, and still have some vision problems from it.
01-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #1525
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I looked at a Capri when I was buying my first car, too ruined by time, weather and previous owners.

I admit this shot is mostly an accident, and makes the car look quite long, but I like it:

IMGA2043
by just1moredave, on Flickr
01-26-2015, 10:04 PM   #1526
Veteran Member

I like it too. Shows motion.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
and makes the car look quite long,
Kind of looks like a Chrysler 300 with a Mercedes front end.
01-27-2015, 02:26 AM   #1527
Veteran Member

X-posted from the M-club.

01-27-2015, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #1528
osv
Veteran Member

it's gotta be cars shot with a pentax camera to be in this thread? my old k10d, sigma superwide ii 24/2.8 at f/5.6(?), and three flashes wired together:

01-27-2015, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #1529
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

X-posted from the M-club.
Those are all awesome!

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
it's gotta be cars shot with a pentax camera to be in this thread?
I think it's all about cars. Technically a photography thread would be moved from this section.

I took this yesterday to compare postal delivery vehicles, because of the postie bike last week. This is a Grumman LLV. The USPS has about 100,000 of these, a weird mix of parts, right hand drive. They are about five years past their design life. They have had a couple of replacement plans and just started asking for proposals for another round. Right now there are so many recent (in the US) city delivery vans. You'd think a Ford Transit Connect would be close enough.

01-27-2015, 05:50 PM   #1530
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I took this yesterday to compare postal delivery vehicles
Looks like they just floored it from a stop with the front end up like that.

Also, the wheels look like they're from a Ford Ranger.