Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 609 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2012, 04:14 PM - 2 Likes   #151
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some Brits

Man, Ron, you started one helluva thread! I love going through it and I've been enjoying the visceral Detroit Arn of my youth. Here - as a counterpoint - are several (well, maybe one or two more than several) pics of some gorgeous (to me, at least) Brits. These shots were taken at the Palo Alto Concours a little over a year ago.

Jer

The big Healy of the '60s:

Jag XK-120 - one of the most voluptuous cars ever created (to my old man's eye):

Jag XK-140:

MGTF:

MGA - I begged my Dad to buy one of these when I was a kid in the late '50s - no soap, but he did buy a brand new Morris Minor convertible in 1958 (we also had a '58, bright-red Plymouth Fury),; I learned to drive in the Morris: 36 HP with no syncro in 1st, a great training ground.

08-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Jer, thanks for sharing the Brits. Great shots! I'm really liking the Healy and the XK-120 (cars and photos).

Fred
08-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow!

Jer, thanks for posting those beautiful photos, I guess gearheadism (is that even a word?) knows no national boundries. I really like the British sports cars, they have a way with the little 2-seaters, so cool.
Seems like the Japanese have dug pretty deep into that market, starting with the Miata, now just about all the mfgr's from Japan and Germany have a 2-seat hot rod.
Thanks again to you and everyone that's posted, this is a thread that keeps going!
Ron
08-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely to see those Brits, Jer. Crisp and clean shots as usual from you. My cousin, Nick, had a Healey 3000 for a while. Like most of his cars, it was very highly modified and got about 8 mpg (imperial). Nick died last month of a very aggressive cancer. It's good to be reminded of some happy times. I did supervisions at uni with a guy who had a Healey 100/6 and later an XK120. His were definitely not in the showroom condition of the cars we see here.

Richard.

08-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hollywoodfred Quote
Jer, thanks for sharing the Brits. Great shots! I'm really liking the Healy and the XK-120 (cars and photos).

Fred
Thanks much, Fred.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Jer, thanks for posting those beautiful photos, I guess gearheadism (is that even a word?) knows no national boundries. I really like the British sports cars, they have a way with the little 2-seaters, so cool.
Seems like the Japanese have dug pretty deep into that market, starting with the Miata, now just about all the mfgr's from Japan and Germany have a 2-seat hot rod.
Thanks again to you and everyone that's posted, this is a thread that keeps going!
Ron
Hey Ron, thanks for looking. I certainly was bitten by the Miata bug and owned three of 'em from 1995 until 2009 when I traded the last one, a turbocharged Mazdaspeed version, for my Boxster.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Lovely to see those Brits, Jer. Crisp and clean shots as usual from you. My cousin, Nick, had a Healey 3000 for a while. Like most of his cars, it was very highly modified and got about 8 mpg (imperial). Nick died last month of a very aggressive cancer. It's good to be reminded of some happy times. I did supervisions at uni with a guy who had a Healey 100/6 and later an XK120. His were definitely not in the showroom condition of the cars we see here.

Richard.
Hey thanks, Richard. As it happens my aunt and uncle owned a 3000 in the early '60s and I had the pleasure of driving it a number of times.

Jer
08-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #156
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ooh. Hi there, British roadsters.

Sometimes I look at Austin Healeys, etc, and think it's kind of sad that ragtops would be wasted on me. Except some nights.
08-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Jer,

Outstanding series.

Several personal favourites here especially the Austin Healey.

More sir - more.

Tom G

08-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #158
Veteran Member

Nothing as spectacular but from The Toronto Auto Show 2012 earlier

08-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #159
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ooh, a TR6 coupe, if that's what they're called. Cute.
I wonder how many of *those* have survived.
08-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The BIG Show!

First off, Thanks to Clicker for posting the photos from the Toronto Auto Show, nice work!
Whew! Just finished downloading the photos from the Arvada KOOL 105 (FM Oldies station) Car Show today. This is one of the biggest shows of the year, around 1,000 cars. It's a benefit for Children's Hospital, and included a raffle for a Rousch Mustang- no, I didn't win!
The great thing about this show is that there's so many cars here. The bad thing is that there's so many, it's hard to get individual shots. I did catch a few as they were pulling in, and tried to crop others as well as possible, but overall it's a little cramped for space, photo-wise.
To give you an idea of the scale of the show, the first shots are groups. Imagine 5 double aisles like the one in the fist photo; Add in smaller sections like the Mustang Club, the Corvette Club, etc, and you'll get some idea.
My equipment was the usual K-7 and K10D, DA16-45 and DA 35 f/2.4, plus two lenses that are new to me; An F 35-135 and a Sigma 28-70 AF. Both are recent eBay finds.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Ron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
08-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
More Arvada KOOL Show

Here's the next group, I tried to get some unusual cars or different looks;
Ron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
08-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Last Ones, Black + White

Last, but far from least, are five B + W shots.
Ron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
08-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #163
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Ooh. Hi there, British roadsters.

Sometimes I look at Austin Healeys, etc, and think it's kind of sad that ragtops would be wasted on me. Except some nights.
Yeah, in Georgia summer with the top down is miserable, except at night. When I lived in Vidalia I had a FIAT (Fix It Again, Tonio) 124 convertible. Lovely little car, when it ran. Spring, fall, and after dark were the best times for top-down cruisin'.
08-28-2012, 06:15 AM   #164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Clicker - great shots from Toronto.

Ron - thanks for another great pics from the KOOL show - lots of memories for me. Your first pic contains an early, second gen Camaro. In '71, I jumped ship from Ford and traded my '69 Mach I for a new Camaro - the first (and by far the best) of the three Camaros I owned over the years.

Jer
08-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Yeah, in Georgia summer with the top down is miserable, except at night. When I lived in Vidalia I had a FIAT (Fix It Again, Tonio) 124 convertible. Lovely little car, when it ran. Spring, fall, and after dark were the best times for top-down cruisin'.
I remember test driving a 124 in 1970 and loving the car. If I remember correctly (which I may not ), the car had a 5-speed transmission and 4-wheel disc brakes - rare items for a relatively inexpensive car in those days. It handled so sweetly - a refreshing change from my clunky Mach I Mustang.

Here in SE Texas - like Georgia -high summer is unendurable, especially in the day time. Evenings generally or OK - my wife and I had a nice short cruise about 7:30 last night.

Jer