Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 609 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2017, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #1831
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Speaking of red . . . . . . . . I just bought a 50-dollar ticket in the Porsche Club of America's spring raffle which is offering a new 911 GT3 as the prize. Wish me luck.

Jer

New Porsche 911 GT3 exclusive. Welcome back manual GT3 - YouTube
Good luck Jer. Am I too late?

04-19-2017, 07:36 AM   #1832
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Good luck Jer. Am I too late?
Thanks, buddy. You're not too late, but you'll have to join the Porsche Club of America to be eligible for the raffle - we'd welcome you with open arms.

Unfortunately, the odds of winning are pretty small - certainly less than 1% if you buy a single ticket. PCA is a big club with lots of members who buy lots of raffle tickets.

Jer
04-19-2017, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #1833
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
PCA is a big club with lots of members who buy lots of raffle tickets.
Yeah, and the guy who buys about $150,000 in raffle tickets will be the winner, right?

cheesy
04-20-2017, 06:25 AM - 2 Likes   #1834
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yeah, and the guy who buys about $150,000 in raffle tickets will be the winner, right?

:cheesy:

You know, a cheaper way would be simply to take your 150 grand to a Porsche dealer and order one - that way you'd save 100 bucks in club dues and a raffle ticket.

Jer

04-24-2017, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #1835
smf
Pentaxian

Below are some of my photos of an Amphicar displayed on Saturday at the first Otis Wilson Memorial Classic Car Show at Northwood University in Midland, Michigan.

Images were captured with a 10-17mm lens, so please expect distortion.

Amphicar history can be found at Amphicar History

An article about President Lyndon Johnson's "terrifying prank" with his Amphicar is here: Lyndon Johnson Played Terrifying Prank With His Amphicar - Business Insider
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
04-24-2017, 11:48 PM - 2 Likes   #1836
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Racer went to a 6 hour endurance race this past Sunday. Low turnout, 10 cars, 9 BMW's and on Datsun 240Z.

Oh, and it rained.

All day.

Buckets.

The Datsun has been owned by the same guy for about 20 years now. He has raced it all over the Pacific Northwest, and has been to Thunderhill in Northern California many times. In fact, the car has logged over 10,000 miles in the 25 hour race there.

High miles, only driven on Sunday.

04-24-2017, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #1837
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Some more from the 6 hour meet at the Ridge Motorsports Complex in Shelton, Washington.

04-25-2017, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #1838
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
Below are some of my photos of an Amphicar displayed on Saturday at the first Otis Wilson Memorial Classic Car Show at Northwood University in Midland, Michigan.

Cool shots of one weird car!

We lived in Midland in '73 and from '82 to '95. I went to a lot of fall new-car auto shows at Northwood, but I don't recall going to a classic car show.

Jer

---------- Post added 04-25-2017 at 02:44 PM ----------

Racer went to a 6 hour endurance race this past Sunday. Low turnout, 10 cars, 9 BMW's and on Datsun 240Z . . . . . . . . . .
Some more from the 6 hour meet at the Ridge Motorsports Complex in Shelton, Washington . . . . . . . . . . . .

Cool pics - you certainly made the best of some poor weather. Great captures.

Jer
04-25-2017, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #1839
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That Z looks mighty fine. I dreamed of having a Lotus Cortina way back when still in school.
05-06-2017, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #1840
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You know, a cheaper way would be simply to take your 150 grand to a Porsche dealer and order one - that way you'd save 100 bucks in club dues and a raffle ticket.

Jer
Only 150K? The 2017 GT3 will be over AUD325K here plus "on-road costs". That will add around $100K more. But ... it could be worth it just to get the manual version. I'm not sure what the current exchange rate is. It used to be around parity, It's probably around 70% or 80% these days, but parity is the best way of comparing comparative costs. Hmm. A used 2016 GT3 is on sale in Sydney for $569,900. Some recent Ferraris are cheaper. Get thee away!

Regards,
Richard.

---------- Post added 06-05-17 at 18:29 ----------

Some more from the 6 hour meet at the Ridge Motorsports Complex in Shelton, Washington.

Really good and interesting shots, Mr Racer. Racing in the rain must be fun. If it rains here, people head off into the scenery to investigate the gaps between the trees. Unrelenting campaigns by the police and the politicians for 30 years have created a generation that thinks that you're safe if you're under the speed limit and that you are a homicidal maniac if you drive over 110 kmh on a freeway. They are told that 110 is safe. They drive at 110 in heavy rain, aquaplane and visit the scenery.

Regards,
Richard.
05-06-2017, 02:39 AM - 2 Likes   #1841
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
That Z looks mighty fine. I dreamed of having a Lotus Cortina way back when still in school.
My cousin, Nick, had a Mk 1 Lotus Cortina in the late 1960s. He took it to Ian Walker Racing in North London for a few mods. BRM cams, fully balanced (it could easily pull 8,000rpm), totally standard outside. It was fast. Lovely car to drive

---------- Post added 06-05-17 at 19:49 ----------

A few more Jaguars from earlier this year. I've been a bit busy. No post processing. Just convert to jpg and output.

This was just one of the XK 120, 140 and 150 rows.

This old one was very well preserved. Mk IV, I think.

How's this for a tool kit?

My 1989 Saab 900 Aero had something similar, but it wasn't as comprehensive.

Regards,
Richard.
05-06-2017, 03:35 AM   #1842
Pentaxian

Is that a courtesy light in the centre of the drawer lid so you can see the tools at night? With the switch in the bottom hinge. Such an 'innovation' would be a major innovation in a current model.

And what is the wooden looking stick/dowel against the outer edge used for? Tapping the mud and leaves off your brogues after a light stroll in the woods?
05-06-2017, 07:11 AM   #1843
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Only 150K? The 2017 GT3 will be over AUD325K here plus "on-road costs". That will add around $100K more. But ... it could be worth it just to get the manual version. I'm not sure what the current exchange rate is. It used to be around parity, It's probably around 70% or 80% these days, but parity is the best way of comparing comparative costs. Hmm. A used 2016 GT3 is on sale in Sydney for $569,900. Some recent Ferraris are cheaper. Get thee away! . . . . . . . . .

Regards,
Richard.
Hey, Richard. Actually, that 150K number was just a guess, but I wasn't too far off. I just checked the PCNA website and learned a base model GT3 will go for a little under $144K - although that's probably deceptive, since Porsches are sold more-or-less a la carte - in other words, figure on at the very least another 15 or 20 grand for "options."

Also, a confession: I created an alternative fact () when I indicated the raffle prize would be a GT3. When I read the raffle flyer I saw "GT3", but it actually said "GTS". Even so, I'll be happy to get a GTS for 50 bucks and what I would pay Uncle Sam in income tax should I be fortunate enough to win (fat chance). The GTS would probably be better for an old geezer like me anyway.

Jer

A few more Jaguars from earlier this year. I've been a bit busy. No post processing. Just convert to jpg and output.

This was just one of the XK 120, 140 and 150 rows.

This old one was very well preserved. Mk IV, I think.

My 1989 Saab 900 Aero had something similar, but it wasn't as comprehensive.

Regards,
Richard.
Terrific series of pics, my friend. I enjoyed 'em all. BMWs used to have a tool kit in the trunk (boot?) lid, but no more.

Jer
05-06-2017, 07:29 AM   #1844
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ya gotta read the fine print with yer bifocals on!
05-06-2017, 07:35 AM   #1845
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Ya gotta read the fine print with yer bifocals on!

Yeah, Steve. I need to do that plus engage my brain!

Jer