Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2018, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #1876
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My father installed a Mack bulldog hood ornament on our '69 VW Beetle.

Chris

06-07-2018, 06:53 PM - 3 Likes   #1877
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
My father installed a Mack bulldog hood ornament on our '69 VW Beetle.

Chris
It so happens I have a Mack Bulldog hood ornament on the shelf over my workbench. It is well-pitted and I believe the bolt threads in the feet are stripped, but it’s been there for thirty years and I like it as it is.

I once contemplated sending it to dcshooter . . . . .

.:
06-07-2018, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #1878
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
When I think of Motorhead, I think of Lemmy.

RIP Lemmy! Played hard till the very end.
06-07-2018, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #1879
Pentaxian

Racer X 69, great pix of the old B series. Wonderful patina and thanks for posting all those truck photos. In my burg near our place the local firehouse ran a B-61 Mack pumper truck for many years, finally retiring the old 'dog' sometime in the late '90's.

But it only went into semi retirement...the fire dept. put it back into service for parades, vintage vehicle displays, etc. It's a grand old truck,

In my garage I have a pair of beat up W series valve covers...mounted on the wall. They're by my tin, advertising plate of a Vincent Black Shadow.

The 4-0-9 valve covers are from a '60's Chevy C-80 transport truck that made freight runs from Winnipeg to Saskatoon for a number of years.

If I had the room, I wouldn't mind having a collection of American big block V8s on engine stands.

Tired completely out or blown up would be the idea, as I wouldn't want to take a good engine off the market that could still be usable in a potential street rod. The Chevy 409, Mopar B series, Buick 401 nailhead V8...would be part of that collection.

As it is, I don't have the room..or the bucks for that matter for actual vintage engines...but a smaller (and cheaper) collection would be...just... valve covers. I wouldn't mind having a variety of Big Block valve covers...401 Buick are a set that would look nice up there on the garage wall.

06-08-2018, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #1880
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It so happens I have a Mack Bulldog hood ornament on the shelf over my workbench. It is well-pitted and I believe the bolt threads in the feet are stripped, but it’s been there for thirty years and I like it as it is.

I once contemplated sending it to dcshooter . . . . .

.:
The Mack Bulldog hood ornament is one of those symbols throughout the decades that is instantly recognizable by many, as representing a tough, robust piece of American machinery ...the Mack truck. About 30 years ago I went to the local Mack truck dealership and picked up a Mack hat.. with the bulldog logo patch.
Still have it on a clothes hook in the garage.

The Mack Truck company says this...regarding the origins of the bulldog company symbol:

http://https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=...yz6fDlQwGQEkST
06-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #1881
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Too bad Mack sold out to Volvo.
06-08-2018, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #1882
Pentaxian

Too bad Mack sold out to Volvo.
...before that, Renault bought out Mack, then eventually Volvo bought out Renault trucks which Mack was part of the deal. But before all this Mack bought out Autocar..I recall the Autocar...some huge, powerful HD trucks. Than Volvo bought out out White and for awhile there I remember seeing White/GM trucks...at least I think I did.

Back in 1970 I had a '62 Volvo PV544 with the B18s engine. I loved it and it was made by Volvo, which then made cars (PV544s, 122s, 123 GT, P1800, etc.) and trucks. My PV was made in Sweden and was a Swedish company. Before that...cars wise... I had a '69 VW 1500 Deluxe and before that a '67 Camaro RS 327.

Volvo was Volvo, VW was VW and Chevy was Chevy (GM), Mack was Mack, etc....in the '60's .

Currently with all the buying and selling... with multi national companies, globalization, vulture capitalists, etc...I can't keep track of who owns what, when they bought it, did they strip the assets and sell the bare shell and name.......or what...

It sort of reminds me of the old Abbot and Costello comedy routine of their ...'.who's on first routine'....

I prefer things the way they were ...it was easier to keep track.

06-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #1883
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
..I recall the Autocar...
Me too.

06-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #1884
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

And a White.

06-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #1885
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Cornbinder.

06-08-2018, 06:56 PM - 2 Likes   #1886
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one for you guys, from the Forney Transportation Museum in Denver. They kind of surprised me by not allowing any kind of bag inside, so I had to use the DA 18-135 for all my shots. If I remember right, this is a 1934 Dodge:

06-08-2018, 07:28 PM   #1887
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Large Car

06-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #1888
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I have one for you guys, from the Forney Transportation Museum in Denver. They kind of surprised me by not allowing any kind of bag inside, so I had to use the DA 18-135 for all my shots. If I remember right, this is a 1934 Dodge:

Not sure of the year of either, but I saw a Dodge Brothers emblem last summer.

06-08-2018, 09:27 PM   #1889
Veteran Member

Not sure of the year of either, but I saw a Dodge Brothers emblem last summer.

I hated the Fiat commercials with the Dodge brothers driving the new Hellcat and Demon, I mean Fiat Chrysler commercial, For a little while longer at least. Fiat is talking about ending the Chrysler Marque.
06-08-2018, 09:38 PM - 2 Likes   #1890
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
But it only went into semi retirement...the fire dept. put it back into service for parades, vintage vehicle displays, etc. It's a grand old truck
I heard of one city council that was particularly thrifty that kept the old fire engine around to use for false alarms. ;-)