Loaded.

Check out the pricetag.

Nearly a hundred grand for a pickup?

I don't think so.

06-17-2018, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #1922
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The "REG. ADJ." alone is close to what my pickup cost new. I think I can resist.
06-17-2018, 08:36 AM   #1923
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The "REG. ADJ." alone is close to what my pickup cost new. I think I can resist.
I don't get this regional adjustment business.
06-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #1924
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Is a 'regional adjustment' fee similar to 'shipping and handling costs' ....we had in the past...when say we were 10 years old in the early '60's and ordered an Ant Farm or another product...a 'Sea Monkey'...or something else...from the back page advertisement of the comic book we were reading. The product would be $ 2.95...plus may be an additional $ 2.95 for shipping and handling. Shipping costs are straightforward...a known cost...but 'handling' is where the money is made. Ahhh...maybe I'm too cynical.

'Regional Adjustment' in my opinion, sounds like a new term for ' handling'...who really knows what 'handling' entails...if we don't know what it entails...how are we to know what ;handling; costs.

Regional adjustment...does that mean that it's going to cost more to ship..and handle...for a new car to get to Nome, Alaska...as opposed to St. Paul, Minnesota when it's made in Detroit ? Probably...but is there an additional regional adjustment worked into this regional adjustment ? I don't know and I think more transparency in explaining in some detail...not lawyer detail...but common sense detail of what additional fees are.

A work colleague back in the '90's bought a new Honda CRX . The dealer said that there would be additional documentation fees and car preparation fees. The car preparation fees would be..if my memory is correct/....another $ 350. My colleague has a PhD. in Mathematics...but even so...is still pretty good with addition, division, subtraction and multiplication. She said my understanding is that the cars come from the factory...ready to go. There may be some plastic covering the seats and the car maybe dusty so a car wash is needed...and maybe the oil and other fluid levels maybe checked.

She asked the sales manager what else is there and she indicated that she would be surprised if whoever did these tasks would be paid much more than minimum wage. She added that when she divides the preparation costs by minimum wage, she comes out to about 17 hours needed to prepare the car. She said she wanted to watch her car being prepared so would book off 2 days from her job, so she could watch the dealer employee slave away for 17 hours 'preparing her new car.

The dealer waived the prep costs, as I suppose they were in a generous mood. Point being...one has to be careful when it comes to additional costs.

I've been told I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box..so what do I know.

06-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #1925
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

St. Louis is notorious for fad-buying of vehicles. As the Joneses buy, so goes everyone else. ‘Regional Adjustment” is a mechanism allowing the Regional Marketing Office’ to add a bit of sugar to the price of regionally hot vehicles, just because they can.
06-17-2018, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #1926
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
The dealer waived the prep costs, as I suppose they were in a generous mood. Point being...one has to be careful when it comes to additional costs.
I've been told I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box..so what do I know.
It is the new name for Added Dealer Mark-up, or ADM. If they are honest, the salesman make 5K of that. It is negotiable but the only cars that ever kept ADM for any length of time were ultra rare cars like the Ford GT. It means they want well over MSRP and if the vehicle is hard to get, they may get some or even all of that ridiculous second sticker. I would tell them (If I could afford the truck) using many expletives that would let them know that any possible future business has also been lost. I would bad mouth them to anyone and everyone I met also. They don't understand the Streisand effect. Streisand effect - Wikipedia So would probably threaten a lawsuit for my comments.
06-17-2018, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #1927
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I know.

Everyone wants one of these things.

A Ford Raptor.

Loaded.

Check out the pricetag.

I don't think so.
My son bought a 2016 V-8 (6.2L?) Raptor, but doesn’t have some of the extreme rock climbing options and cameras. Doesn't have the 802a option package shown, nor the $10,000 worth of wheels, tires and Raptor technology, and vinyl appliqués. Has a roll up bed cover instead of the spray on bed liner, etc.

He did NOT have to pay a $20,000 Regional Adjustment. The above Dealer is in Washington State, where pickups rule and Jeeps drool. In St. Louis pickups are called ‘Hoosier Cruisers” and everyone wants a Rubicon-equipped 4-door Wrangler that they option up to $59,000 sticker with Destination charges, Dealer prep and Regional Adjustment. For a Jeep that’s crazy.

He has the flat-out off-road speed set-up and the truck is a beast. Most comfortable highway ride vehicle I’ve ever been in and off-road you hardly feel potholes, swales, rocks or bumps at ridiculous speeds. Essentially a big, fast truck instead of a big, fast BMW. He uses it as a company vehicle for grabbing attention and it works - everyone knows the Ultimate Lacrosse Raptor.

$72,000+/- out of pocket, licensed and taxed. Insane but not outrageous.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-17-2018 at 11:52 AM.
06-17-2018, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #1928
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I know.

Everyone wants one of these things.

A Ford Raptor.

Loaded.

Check out the pricetag.

I don't think so.
Not everyone wants one. I bought one of these instead:

06-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #1929
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote

So was it also nearly a hundred grand?
06-17-2018, 11:13 AM   #1930
Pentaxian

Chevy Colorado ZR2...very good ratings in on/off road prowess in many reviews. Impressive vehicle. Do you have the diesel or gas V6 ?
06-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #1931
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So was it also nearly a hundred grand?
Not even half.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Chevy Colorado ZR2...very good ratings in on/off road prowess in many reviews. Impressive vehicle. Do you have the diesel or gas V6 ?
Initially, I wanted the diesel, but unlike the Duramax, the baby max is just a tad under-powered, so I went gas. So far (5,000 miles), I've no regrets. It was a bit of a shock going from a one ton Duramax dually to this but in a good way. Kind of like going from a station wagon to a sports car.
06-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #1932
Veteran Member

Not even half.

Initially, I wanted the diesel, but unlike the Duramax, the baby max is just a tad under-powered, so I went gas. So far (5,000 miles), I've no regrets. It was a bit of a shock going from a one ton Duramax dually to this but in a good way. Kind of like going from a station wagon to a sports car.
Still too much money for what was originally a small utility truck. I saw one and was surprised by how big it is. I want a truck the size of the old S-10 or old Ranger, not a nearly full sized behemoth.
06-17-2018, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #1933
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Still too much money for what was originally a small utility truck. I saw one and was surprised by how big it is. I want a truck the size of the old S-10 or old Ranger, not a nearly full sized behemoth.
They should bring back the El Camino and the Ranchero.

06-17-2018, 08:10 PM - 2 Likes   #1934
Pentaxian

Saw an example of the first Ford Ranchero today, at a car show...'57,
06-17-2018, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #1935
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
The styling is all meant to look big, somewhat deceptive. I have parked my 2002 Nissan Frontier next to one and it is a similar size. But for example, the windows on the doors are shorter. The extra sheet metal height makes the truck look taller. Also the crew cab.

Ford is relaunching the Ranger but they'll have the same trouble as Chevy - if all your customers move up to full size, why bother?

I was thinking about the Raptor's Reg. Adj. charge and decided the dealer's only hope was that an internet billionaire needs a Raptor right away. If demand is that high, Ford is crazy for not switching all its production to Raptors. Ford's profit is probably double a base F150, and making one is about the same. And if it's just regional demand, anyone could have a Raptor shipped for a thousand or so from another area.