Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 609 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2018, 08:03 PM - 3 Likes   #1966
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Saw this parked on the street today. Calling all Rebels!

Looks to be the real deal! It was beautiful! All I could think was, "this is only a three month per year car up here in Maine!"

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
08-29-2018, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #1967
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Other than a singer who acts in movies I won't watch, what's a Rebel?
Off-road version of Ram 1500 pickup truck.
2019 Ram 1500 Rebel Arrives Looking Strong and Capable - PickupTrucks.com News
09-02-2018, 10:09 AM - 3 Likes   #1968
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote

Hear are some real gears for your head. 2 Ft railroad, like the slate mine cars in Wales.
And some folks trying out the hand car on a nearby line while the engine backs up for the next load of tourists.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
09-05-2018, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #1969
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Hear are some real gears for your head. 2 Ft railroad, like the slate mine cars in Wales.
And some folks trying out the hand car on a nearby line while the engine backs up for the next load of tourists.
For some reason I've always wanted to try a speed run in a hand car.

And as 356es go, like with most things, I've always been partial to the coupes. Apart from having difficulty with the Sun, I love the lines. Since they restyled the 'New Beetle' to be sleeker I've been thinking, 'Why not just go all the way to retro-356C?'

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-05-2018 at 12:47 PM.
09-06-2018, 08:26 PM   #1970
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A front-wheel drive scooter seems like a technical challenge for no reason.

Aren't the Audi TTs based on the Beetle? Anyway, a small inexpensive sports car is surprisingly difficult to make money on. People like them - they'll spontaneously yell at you at stoplights, and you can hear them talking about your car even if they don't talk directly to you. Everyone likes the idea, just not the practicality.
09-07-2018, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #1971
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
A front-wheel drive scooter seems like a technical challenge for no reason.

Aren't the Audi TTs based on the Beetle? Anyway, a small inexpensive sports car is surprisingly difficult to make money on. People like them - they'll spontaneously yell at you at stoplights, and you can hear them talking about your car even if they don't talk directly to you. Everyone likes the idea, just not the practicality.
Admittedly, front wheel drive just plain tends to disinterest me in cars, anyway, it just seems there's styling potential there. I suppose if they put the TT's all wheel drive in a more-retro 356 car, it'd be cool.

Anyway, 'sports car' can be a heavy term, especially if you're going for 'affordable and practical.' ' For any given genre of car, I usually just want it to be 'More GT' in various respects, so I love the shooting brakes and hatchbacks and fastbacks (especially swoopy ones) and all that. Small's small, but that's why I don't actually *have* a little car, given my practical needs. It's not as if a Miata, for instance, is uncomfortable for me at my size, (unless it comes to electrical work under the dash, etc: I had a neighbor with one who just plain needed me just to be able to get in a few places, but that was contortions even for me. ) ....I just wish they made an MGBGT like version, and I'd even prefer the very pretty Japan-only coupe.

As Beetles go, it's kind of like, if they got away from the frumpy-cutesy-looking version I was thinking 'why not go a bit further.'

My thought for a sporty project will be somewhere around a 76 Celica GT liftback build, even. (I had one once but ended up buying a donor car for my Duster instead of what that needed for the road, but wished I could have stuffed that in a time bubble for later even at the time.) And that would *be* there to be little, even if I do most of my actual driving cause I need to go get something or bring some tools.

That is, really, depending what else might come along. It could be the Ratmobile that ends up getting that attention, too, like if she doesn't have to be a daily she could get an engine swap and a few other things, maybe a bit more performance-minded now that there's a truck here that I actually should be ordering parts for.
09-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #1972
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

'66 Olds 442 and its owner, taken a couple years ago:

09-16-2018, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #1973
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook.

I took the driving portion of the driver licensing test for my first driver's license in a car like this one. Flathead six, three on the tree manual transmission.
09-16-2018, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #1974
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook.

I took the driving portion of the driver licensing test for my first driver's license in a car like this one. Flathead six, three on the tree manual transmission.
I remember these Plymouth Cranbrooks. An old neighbour had one, when I was a young child in the 1950's. He stored it in his old corrugated metal garage and just before it would rain would back it out onto his dirt driveway. If it was a good rain his Plymouth would get a good soaking and after the rain he would come out and wipe it down and then drive it back into his garage.

It was an interesting neighbourhood for a young car buff to grow up. An older English couple had a '50's Mercedes diesel (one of the first) and they had friends, also English who would visit them about once a month and drive up and park their Jaguar 120 coupe...white in colour, with the badging that said LeMans winner...listing the wins by the year.

Across the lane was another English family, they had a dark green Morris. I hesitate to call the colour British Racing Green, given it was mid '50's Minor.
Another neighbour had a '58 Mercury with the 430 cubic inch MEL V8. We had a series of Austins (3), a '56 Ford Fairlane with a 312 4 barrel V8 (225 hp), a '58 Ford wagon, 3 on the tree, 292 Y8 and finally '59 Chevy Parkwood (Bel Air) wagon.

Finally there was an old retired American mechanic who had a 1950 Meteor (Canadian market Ford) 2 door post, with 3 on the tree plus overdrive and a hopped up flathead V8, which made a lovely waffling V8 burble as he slowly drove down the lane to park it in a garage he rented. I was a kid, he was in his 80's, but we used to have great conversations, which doesn't seem to happen much anymore..young kids talking to older people who aren't related to them. But I digress, I recall him telling me that his Ford had a bored out Mercury flathead V8 with a 3/4 race camshaft as he said, twin Stromberg carbs and dual exhaust. I peppered him with questions and he was a grand old man, very patient with my young enthusiastic approach to learning all I could about performance cars.

Fast forward to present and I couldn't tell you with any degree of accuracy...what year and sometimes what make the cars are...on the lane where we live.
09-16-2018, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #1975
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Have a look at my Flickr Les. Lots of oldies to stir your memories.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
. . . . . . with a 3/4 race camshaft as he said, . . . . . . . .
I remember as a teen hearing other guys talk about how cars were modified, and using this term. When I learned how engines are designed and built, I never once saw any camshafts called out as such.

Cams are described by the lift, duration, opening and closing timing by degrees of rotation, and overlap of the intake and exhaust lobes.

Such as:

INTAKE: Duration: 311º Lift: .467" Clearance Hot: .006"
EXHAUST: Duration: 308º Lift: .467" Clearance Hot: .008"

The specifications listed above are based on a rocker arm ratio of 1.55 IN, 1.55 EX

Timing Events

The information below is for degreeing cam only. Correct only at .050" tappet lift.

INTAKE
Opens: 29.5º BTDC
Closes: 45.5º ABDC

EXHAUST
Opens: 50.0º BBDC
Closes: 18.0º ATDC

LOBE SEPARATION 102º

Duration at .050"

Intake: 255º

Exhaust: 248º

LOBE LIFT

Intake: .301"

Exhaust: .301"
09-16-2018, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #1976
Veteran Member

I remember as a teen hearing other guys talk about how cars were modified, and using this term. When I learned how engines are designed and built, I never once saw any camshafts called out as such.

Cams are described by the lift, duration, opening and closing timing by degrees of rotation, and overlap of the intake and exhaust lobes.
I always had the idea that terms like 'Quarter-race, half-race, racing' were just about how camshafts and lifters, etc were sold, rather than anything explicitly technical being a quarter of anything else, rather like people bandy around 'stage I, stage III,' whatnot about sort of classes of mods. Which is basically how speed-parts companies sold things.

Mostly convenient for 'How hard's it gonna be to get this to idle.'
09-16-2018, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #1977
Pentaxian

Such as:

INTAKE: Duration: 311º Lift: .467" Clearance Hot: .006"
EXHAUST: Duration: 308º Lift: .467" Clearance Hot: .008"

The specifications listed above are based on a rocker arm ratio of 1.55 IN, 1.55 EX

Timing Events

The information below is for degreeing cam only. Correct only at .050" tappet lift.

INTAKE
Opens: 29.5º BTDC
Closes: 45.5º ABDC

EXHAUST
Opens: 50.0º BBDC
Closes: 18.0º ATDC

LOBE SEPARATION 102º

Duration at .050"

Intake: 255º

Exhaust: 248º

LOBE LIFT

Intake: .301"

Exhaust: .301"
Performance cams back in the 1940's and 1950's were described by some old hot rodders back then...as full race, semi race, 3/4 race, track cams, etc. It was the vintage hot rodder slang that my old American retired mechanic buddy used and it came from his era.

He had been involved in rodding or as he would say...'souping up' engines all the way back to the early teens of the last century. If I recall he was from the state of Indiana and was also on some early racing pit crews . I recall him showing me some scrapbooks with newspaper articles of his involvement in early auto racing in the states.

I'm an old guy, but in the 1960's our terminology had changed somewhat and I also don't recall the old 3/4 race, etc. used to describe performance cams in that era.
09-16-2018, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #1978
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I remember these Plymouth Cranbrooks. An old neighbour had one, when I was a young child in the 1950's. He stored it in his old corrugated metal garage and just before it would rain would back it out onto his dirt driveway. If it was a good rain his Plymouth would get a good soaking and after the rain he would come out and wipe it down and then drive it back into his garage.
More memories Les.

Another from the cloudy, cold and rainy day at the 40th Annual Cobra Motors Barbecue in Oso, Washington.

Pentax K5IIs, Sigma 28mm f2.8 Mini Wide.

A 1951 Chevy Kustom. Built in 2 weeks for the 1993 KKOA Street Custom Spectacular by a number of famous greats in the custom car scene, including Bill Hines.

Bill Hines built kustom kars for over 70 years. His work was legendary.

I also saw this car at the Arlington car show last July.

The headlights were grafted on from a 1955 Chevy Bel Air.

09-16-2018, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #1979
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Performance cams back in the 1940's and 1950's were described by some old hot rodders back then...as full race, semi race, 3/4 race, track cams, etc. It was the vintage hot rodder slang that my old American retired mechanic buddy used and it came from his era.

He had been involved in rodding or as he would say...'souping up' engines all the way back to the early teens of the last century. If I recall he was from the state of Indiana and was also on some early racing pit crews . I recall him showing me some scrapbooks with newspaper articles of his involvement in early auto racing in the states.

I'm an old guy, but in the 1960's our terminology had changed somewhat and I also don't recall the old 3/4 race, etc. used to describe performance cams in that era.
Some guys refer to very radical camshafts as "tree climbers".

Probably because they help make so much power the car wants to climb trees every time you mash the loud pedal.
09-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #1980
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I always had the idea that terms like 'Quarter-race, half-race, racing' were just about how camshafts and lifters, etc were sold, rather than anything explicitly technical being a quarter of anything else, rather like people bandy around 'stage I, stage III,' whatnot about sort of classes of mods. Which is basically how speed-parts companies sold things.

Mostly convenient for 'How hard's it gonna be to get this to idle.'
If I'm buying a camshaft for my race car engine, I want it to last a bit longer than the "full race", so I can take a victory lap.