Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2012, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love car shows. This one was a couple of weeks ago just a few blocks away.

06-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey Richard, these are great photos of cars - as we chemists would say - in situ. I love that red on your new car.

Jer
Thanks, Jer. I love it too. It's a bit of a dirty red at the moment. We got home a couple of hours ago from a road trip to visit my M-i-L. Around 1900km round trip. We had to take the freeway route this time because the more interesting coastal route has had flooding problems. Not much opportunity to play, but plenty of opportunity to see how it goes for comfort and amenities. The freeway route is 1.5 hours quicker, but ... I have to think about it.

Let's just say that there were major advances between 1989 and 2007 The auto setting on the windscreen wiper is great. The cup holders are great I've complained for years that the major problem with the white car, when anyone asks if such an old car can still be driven, is that it doesn't have any cup holders - so important on a long trip. Six washer jets for the windscreen (one more than the white car) and two washer jets per headlight, but no headlight wipers that the white car has.

The driving experience is very different. The white car can be dramatic when you get the revs and the boost right, but the red car delivers a much more satisfying driving experience all round. To me it's like the difference between an over-square four cylinder (e.g. 1960s Lotus Elan) and a long-stroke 6 (e.g. 1960s MkII Jag). Actually, thinking about it, the white car's a 4 and the red car's a 6. Never mind.

Can chemists talk to engineers? I have two brothers and a cousin who did an engineering degree at Cambridge. One of us has stuck with engineering. We also have a merchant banker, an accountant and a computer software guy. My Father is a physicist who became an army officer and my mother was a mathematician and rocket-scientest (for real) who handled domestic stuff really well, considering. I think I can understand a chemist if he keeps it simple

Richard.

Last edited by RichardS; 06-25-2012 at 01:23 AM.
06-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote

Let's just say that there were major advances between 1989 and 2007 The auto setting on the windscreen wiper is great. The cup holders are great I've complained for years that the major problem with the white car, when anyone asks if such an old car can still be driven, is that it doesn't have any cup holders - so important on a long trip. Six washer jets for the windscreen (one more than the white car) and two washer jets per headlight, but no headlight wipers that the white car has.
Apparently, the cup holder thing is because the drunk-driving laws are so severe in Sweden, DUI is like half their crime rate or something. (the combination of oft-snowy roads, darkness, and some cultural stuff, and all. Driver's ed is a serious matter there, too: I guess everyone there has to learn stuff you could potentially get in trouble for in the US. ) How the lack of cup holders is supposed to help, I dunno, I guess the 'Don't be doing anything else with your hands' notion was big. My Brick has the innovation, possibly just for the US market, of strange cupholders that slide out of the console armrest, right over the e-brake. (I guess no drinking and drifting for me, but it works. ) Any Swedish car parts supplier seems to offer a range of aftermarket cupholders, though. This I heard a lot about cause, in some places, it really doesn't matter if you could pretty much build the thing, if you're a gal shopping for a used car, they tend to default to assuming certain things are all you're interested in, ...I'm still rather peeved that after all the mechanic-inspection and all that, they pressured my sweetie to write a check for the asking price before I even came out with the report to get some of that knocked off the price. *sigh* There went a lot of needed parts and service budget. But, there's some rather expensive cup-holder trivia for you.
06-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Thanks, Jer. I love it too. It's a bit of a dirty red at the moment. We got home a couple of hours ago from a road trip to visit my M-i-L. Around 1900km round trip. We had to take the freeway route this time because the more interesting coastal route has had flooding problems. Not much opportunity to play, but plenty of opportunity to see how it goes for comfort and amenities. The freeway route is 1.5 hours quicker, but ... I have to think about it.

The driving experience is very different. The white car can be dramatic when you get the revs and the boost right, but the red car delivers a much more satisfying driving experience all round. To me it's like the difference between an over-square four cylinder (e.g. 1960s Lotus Elan) and a long-stroke 6 (e.g. 1960s MkII Jag). Actually, thinking about it, the white car's a 4 and the red car's a 6. Never mind.

Can chemists talk to engineers? I have two brothers and a cousin who did an engineering degree at Cambridge. One of us has stuck with engineering. We also have a merchant banker, an accountant and a computer software guy. My Father is a physicist who became an army officer and my mother was a mathematician and rocket-scientest (for real) who handled domestic stuff really well, considering. I think I can understand a chemist if he keeps it simple

Richard.
Sounds like you folks are techno wizards! Besides me (and I'm retired), my family is devoid of scientists except for my younger daughter who's a neuroscientist currently doing a postdoc at Stanford. Anyway, chemists can, indeed, talk to engineers - I spent an entire career working with, working for or supervising engineers at various stages of my scientific life. And, as my wife will tell you, if you want simple, I'm your guy.

Jer

06-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I'm going to visit my brother Dean in Pittsburgh in late July, the visit to center on the Vintage Grand Prix the weekend of July 21 and 22. Check the url for more details: Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix | Presented by Shop 'n Save For gearheads and photographers this is an amazing event. The roads in Schenley park are closed off for the races, where amateurs, talented and otherwise, slug it out in what looks like a pretty challenging road course. Classes for the races run from 120 Jags and their contemporaries, to open wheel formula cars, to classic Datsun 510s and many, many other vehicles.

I've been twice before and burned a lot of film with my LX. My Flickr shows a fine Hudson convertible shot with a 19mm Vivitar on C-41. This time I'll take the K10d with a lot of cards, and my ME-Super to allow use of the 19mm. The LX needs repair, sadly.

So, if you're at the event that weekend, watch for an Old F*** with Pentax film and digital gear. Hope to see you.
Have fun - and post some pics when you get back.

Jer (another old geezer)
06-25-2012, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #36
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

Well to eveyone who posts photos and comments - thank you! It sure is more fun to look than to bitch about stuff! The (I think) Crosley is really cool!

Last edited by monochrome; 06-25-2012 at 05:01 PM.
06-25-2012, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well to eveyone who posts photos and comments - thank you! It sure is more fun to look than to bitch about stuff! The (I think) Crosley is really cool!
Amen.

Jer
06-27-2012, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Sounds like you folks are techno wizards! Besides me (and I'm retired), my family is devoid of scientists except for my younger daughter who's a neuroscientist currently doing a postdoc at Stanford. Anyway, chemists can, indeed, talk to engineers - I spent an entire career working with, working for or supervising engineers at various stages of my scientific life. And, as my wife will tell you, if you want simple, I'm your guy.

Jer
Well, Jer, we do have a bit of geekiness in the family. But anyone who's doing a postdoc at Stanford in a science discipline has to be way over to the right on the Bell curve. I'm pretty simple too. I was lucky enough to be in an English Lit class taught by the headmaster in my final year at high school. I was doing pure maths, applied maths and physics as my major subjects and English Lit was one of those things that was supposed to add some culture to the barbarians. The headmaster had a double-first in classics from Cambridge and was generally acknowledged to be a bit special. I remember one day when he called me a "cultural moron". We were probably supposed to be reading some uplifting literature and I think I was reading Mickey Spillane under the desktop. One of the bright young guys piped up with "Surely that's better than being a cultural snob, Sir." I've felt comfortable in my skin since then

Just to get this back on topic, I'm not a Saab snob. I can appreciate other makes for what they are. One of my best friends has a Carrera S and another friend has an Audi RS4. I'm multi-cultural. However, I do like Aston Martins. Some people actually let them get wet.

This is a DBS V12. It's the high-performance version of the DB9 and it's out in the rain. This is a shot through my windscreen.

This one's a bit older. It lives across the main road where our street ends. It's somewhere between 1935 and 1938. They didn't have model years in those days in England. It's not quite a daily driver, but the owner uses this car to go shopping.

Richard.

Last edited by RichardS; 06-27-2012 at 03:11 AM.
06-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #39
Veteran Member

That's a really pretty shot, that last one, Richard.
06-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
That's a really pretty shot, that last one, Richard.
Thanks RML. K200D and DA* 50-135.

Richard.
06-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #41
Pentaxian

1937 American Cord 812 Sedan

06-29-2012, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

Tuco! I had no idea! I was cursing the car pic's and thar ya be! Your 58 Chevy is stunning and so is the Cord. Well done!
06-29-2012, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Tuco! I had no idea! I was cursing the car pic's and thar ya be! Your 58 Chevy is stunning and so is the Cord. Well done!
Thanks so much. I have a few classic car shots to contribute.

1954 Aston Martin DB2/4 Drophead Coupe

06-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
More Classics!

Thanks to RichardS, Reeftool and Tuco for the fine shots, it just keeps getting better!
Keep' em coming!
Here's a few unusual cars, even for car shows...
Ron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by rbefly; 06-29-2012 at 02:34 PM.
06-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks so much. I have a few classic car shots to contribute.

1954 Aston Martin DB2/4 Drophead Coupe

Many years ago a friend of mine had one of those, in addition to his motorcycle, laundry truck, and Porsche Speedster. He hired me to drive him to his parttime job in the Speedster, which I kept on campus. His parttime job? Resetting speedometers! It was quasi-legal back then. The Speedster was a revelation after driving Plymouths and such. When I looked for my first car after graduating from college, I soon realized that any Porsche I could afford would be a rag, so I settled for a '65 Corvair Monza convertible 4 speed. Pretty reliable and more practical that a Porsche. With the proper tires the 'Vair was surprisingly good in the twisties, and a summer's night cruise with the top down...heaven.