Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2013, 02:16 AM   #481
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Check this out!

Okay, this isn't a car or motorcycle or truck or... But Gearheads should find it fun!

How about a steampunk turntable? Asciimation relates the saga.

And yes, it does work, although Linn needn't feel much worry about the competition!

I ran across an aricle about this marvel while reading a British audio mag at my local Sheds and Venial, also known as Barnes and Noble.

03-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #482
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
I don't recognise most of those cars, . . . .
1964 Chevelle 2 door post These were very rare. Came with an inline 6 cylinder engine. (Mine was metallic brown, and I dropped a 283 into it.)

1966 Impala SS 396 This one does not have the correct hood, the big block cars had the hood with the bumps and chrome trim in them. (Mine was blue with a white vinyl top, but had the Rally wheels with trim rings and center caps like this one)

1965 Comet Caliente (Mine looked just like this one, Cragar wheels and all.)

(Apologies to the staff for not using my own pictures - it has been a very long time since I had these cars, and I only had the 126 Instamatic then, and didn't have a clue as to how to take a proper picture! )
03-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #483
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Okay, this isn't a car or motorcycle or truck or... But Gearheads should find it fun!

And yes, it does work, although Linn needn't feel much worry about the competition!

I ran across an aricle about this marvel while reading a British audio mag at my local Sheds and Venial, also known as Barnes and Noble.
That is interesting, but I don't think I would want a steam cylinder spewing the guck that comes out of it all over my precious vinyl.

The "steam punk" fad is certainly a gearhead thing though. Who else would have the wherewithal to fiddle about and create unusual machines to do the work of modern machines with the technology of yesterday?

Next up, a steam powered camera!

03-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #484
Veteran Member

racerX69 thanks for those pictures.
that 64 looks so good. black and not a wave in it. bet ya somebody fingers were sore after hours of block sanding to get it look so good.

03-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #485
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wayne james Quote
racerX69 thanks for those pictures.
that 64 looks so good. black and not a wave in it. bet ya somebody fingers were sore after hours of block sanding to get it look so good.
I just wish that even one of those were mine. *sigh*

Like I said, they were the ones that got away. *even bigger sigh*
03-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #486
Veteran Member

I'd love to buy this and convert it to electric:

03-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #487
Veteran Member

" I love to buy this and convert it to electric "

Did you check with the United Nations on your idea? plus they my want their plates back
Name:  IMGP0437.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  121.8 KB

03-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #488
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'd love to buy this and convert it to electric:

Very unique perspective on this shot John.

Did you check with the United Nations on your idea? plus they my want their plates back
Attachment 161768
That's funny!
03-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #489
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Another one that got away. I sold my 1989 Saab 900 Aero a few weeks ago. I'd had the car for 13 years. It had taken us for many long (1,800 km) drives through harsh conditions (110F) at high (legal ) speeds with no complaint We did 5,000 km in a week with a wedding and a hospital visit included in 2010. Everything worked except the rear window wiper. The headlight washers and wipers still worked after 310,000 km. This was a great car to own and drive. Fast and fun.

But ... Saab introduced the 2.8L V6 turbocharged Aero in 2005/6 and I decided that I needed one. I waited for a while, wondering whether or not I could afford one. Eventually I decided that life was too short to prevaricate and I would get one. That happened in June 2012 after a one year search. I wanted to keep both cars, but we don't have enough room under cover for three cars. Registration and insurance costs came into it, but, basically, I felt that the car wouldn't get enough TLC. So I sold it to a guy who really, really wanted a 900 Aero since his uncle took for a drive in one about 20 years ago. He flew down from Brisbane, drove the car round the country area back blocks north of Tullamarine Airport and decided to buy it. I felt pain as he drove away.

I think that the old girl will be getting lots of TLC and has gone to a good home..

Richard.
Got to like Saab`s. My uncle had a mid 60`s 2 stroke. That thing, when shod with Nokia Hakkapeliitta studded tires, was unstoppable in snow. Here is one of the real rally cars of the era.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 03-02-2013 at 06:27 PM.
03-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #490
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote

Hehee. Where's my Vernian Process CD. If Steampunk had really become a thing before I was so old and crusty, ( ) not that being older's a problem there so much as my energy levels, I'd really have been quite into that. I suppose stylewise I always used to be pretty much there.

Pretty cars, too.

Got a little something today, anyway, not too bad for a driveby through the window. One of them definitive Duster 340s.

03-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #491
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Saab got away before I got it. I found a used 99, brown, at dealership, took a test drive. By the way, are there any car salesmen who know anything about cars? I had to tell him where everything was and why, and I had only read magazine articles. Anyway, the turn signal didn't work so the salesman said the dealership's crack team of mechanics would fix that right up for me in a day or two. I got an apologetic call the next day, apparently the turn signal problem was a larger electrical issue. Then the next day, they had found a clutch master cylinder leak. On the third day, the electrical problem was diagnosed as major frame corrosion making all the ground connections iffy. The sales manager suggested that they were not comfortable selling me that car.

After that, practical but kind of boring cars, keeping them until they wear out.
03-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #492
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
My Saab got away before I got it. I found a used 99, brown, at dealership, took a test drive. By the way, are there any car salesmen who know anything about cars? I had to tell him where everything was and why, and I had only read magazine articles. Anyway, the turn signal didn't work so the salesman said the dealership's crack team of mechanics would fix that right up for me in a day or two. I got an apologetic call the next day, apparently the turn signal problem was a larger electrical issue. Then the next day, they had found a clutch master cylinder leak. On the third day, the electrical problem was diagnosed as major frame corrosion making all the ground connections iffy. The sales manager suggested that they were not comfortable selling me that car.

After that, practical but kind of boring cars, keeping them until they wear out.
We used to have this saying in Finland, about Saab owners, hard to translate, something like this...SAAB owners suffer from a serious disease, i.e. they are stubborn, brand loyal and willing to put up with deficiencies of their gear, no matter what. Wait, that sounds familiar
03-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #493
Veteran Member

Attachment 161768
I'm going to have to claim ignorance on this one...
03-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #494
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote

Well, at least you encountered an ethical sales manager!

I remember looking at a Datsun 260Z 2+2 for sale by a private owner in South Carolina. I'd always admired the first series of the Z cars; they were on the lots when I bought my new '69 510, but unaffordable. The 2+2 was ideal, little daughter Rebecca could ride in the back. It looked good, sounded good, drove nicely. The owner told he he'd had some fairly major work done only recently, including brake work, and offered to show me receipts.

Back at his house I unlimbered my trusty floor jack and raised up the front end for a look around. Lo and behold, there was a rust hole the size of my palm on the left frame rail! You know, the thingy to which the engine, front suspension and other gubbins attach. I showed it to the owner, who swore he knew nothing about it, and I walked away, rather drove away!

I've since wondered: Did the brake man fail to tell him of this horror? If he were told did the owner decide to sell and let someone else have that 260 fall apart at speed? Or if the owner didn't know until I showed him the problem, did he then keep it on the market for an unsuspecting "victim?"
03-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #495
Veteran Member

ok johnmflores, I'm not trying to hurt your feeling, but your idea is a good one just your choice of car, well doesn't impress me. sorry
try looking here for a gearhead electric car racing

National Electric Drag Racing Association