Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 609 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #1366
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I went to a car show on vacation and saw some new to me stuff.

Lotus Elan S2 - one of the cars that Mazda had in mind when they designed the Miata. This is obvious even if you didn't know. I didn't expect a Lotus to be huge, but this car looks 5/8ths scale.

IMGT7821
by just1moredave, on Flickr

Hudson Commodore 8 - my dad had one of these when he was in the Air Force, in the early 50s, black. The outside was (to me) kind of ordinary. My dad says he was driving from Ft. Worth to New York, middle of Kansas somewhere, dead tired, 60 on a two lane road, and the hood started to float up. His immediate assumption was "I've gone blind!"

IMGT7877

And this:

IMGT7858
Nice captures, good story and thanks ... but that truck is just plain fuggly IMHO ... J

07-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #1367
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I went to a car show on vacation and saw some new to me stuff.

Lotus Elan S2 - one of the cars that Mazda had in mind when they designed the Miata. This is obvious even if you didn't know. I didn't expect a Lotus to be huge, but this car looks 5/8ths scale.

IMGT7821

Hudson Commodore 8 - my dad had one of these when he was in the Air Force, in the early 50s, black. The outside was (to me) kind of ordinary. My dad says he was driving from Ft. Worth to New York, middle of Kansas somewhere, dead tired, 60 on a two lane road, and the hood started to float up. His immediate assumption was "I've gone blind!"

IMGT7877

And this:

IMGT7858
A friend of mine some years ago had a Lotus Elite, the tiny coupe complement to the Elan. When buying parts for it you had to specify not only the model and year, but also furnish the VIN. Since Lotus was such a small manufacturer they bought parts where they could, particularly electrics and instruments. So during the same model year they might switch from Smiths to Lucas, the Prince of Darkness. Question: why is British beer and ale often served warmish? They use Lucas refrigerators!
07-13-2014, 12:53 AM   #1368
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A couple from today, from the opposite ends of the spectrum in the automotive world

07-13-2014, 06:48 AM   #1369
Veteran Member

Sure was great seeing Big John Mazmanian on one of your pictures, Brought back some great memories of seeing him race back in the 60' and 70' in Detroit. Thanks
Here is what I'm working on. The engine is being built for at as I type. SBC Stroker around 450 hp.

Last edited by Fl_Gulfer; 04-26-2017 at 08:33 PM.
07-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #1370
Veteran Member

Never seen a Dually like this one...lol

Last edited by Fl_Gulfer; 04-26-2017 at 08:33 PM.
07-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #1371
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Never seen a Dually like this one...lol
Nice!

The engine bay looks pretty sano.

How about shots of the outside?
07-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #1372
Veteran Member

07-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #1373
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Nice shot Sir.
07-26-2014, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #1374
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Nice shot Sir.
Thx. Here are some more from the day…

07-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #1375
Veteran Member

Heehee, that old maroon Volvo wagon (?) looks like one of the Ratmobile's older relatives.
07-26-2014, 11:49 PM   #1376
Pentaxian

Thx. Here are some more from the day…
Very nice series ... bravo & TFS, J
08-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #1377
Inactive Account

My favorite picture of my old truck
08-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #1378
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Heehee, that old maroon Volvo wagon (?) looks like one of the Ratmobile's older relatives.
Yup, it was a wagon, and a cool one at that with a surfboard on the roof and everything!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Very nice series ... bravo & TFS, J
Thx!
08-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #1379
Veteran Member

Yup, it was a wagon, and a cool one at that with a surfboard on the roof and everything!

Thx!
Haha. I like it.

Been wondering if anyone's been working on anything, ...not much to show off here in photos, hoping to restore running condition to mine asap, (have new fuel pump, now just must replace. ) While waiting and being semi-sick but with decent weather, I've been taking care of some details that were kind of annoying me but didn't seem to deserve priority.

Fer instance, I did make with a cute-ish hack for a busted door pocket that's been bugging me. (They commonly break cause anything between the door and a plastic tray attached to the seats, like, someone's foot, tends to get pinched right there. I understand why they sell stick-on panels to just cover such damage, though: rather a pain to try fixing them otherwise.

P1030376_zps22bf45b1.jpg Photo by ratmagiclady | Photobucket

Hrm, it seems I'm having trouble embedding from photobucket directly, but this should be clickable. And in the photo is the last remaining bit of visible duct tape on visible panels. Which I'm about to cover over, actually.
08-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #1380
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cruisin'!

Hello all and thanks for keeping this thread going...
I've only made a few car shows this year, been busy with photo-club activities. But I did host a club meetup at the August Golden Super-Cruise last weekend and had quite a good turnout, too. Photograph Classic Cars! - Metro Denver Digital Photography Learning Group (Denver, CO) - Meetup .
It was very busy and crowded, well over 600 cars this month. This is a late-day event, 4pm to 8:30pm, so it's nearly dark when they finish. That made for some dramatic low-angle lighting at dusk, you can see the 'sunset' side/backlighting on the Corvette and GM Truck shot.
All done with K-5, AV mode, DA 16-45 or DA 35mmAL, f/7.1 - f/8, shutter at 'panning speed' around 1/100s and ISO 100.
First up, my favorite capture, TWO 1934 Ford 3-window Coupes. I was panning single cars at the traffic-circle turnaround, when this pair of matching beauties entered my viewfinder. 3 clicks and they're gone, this one is the best. You know the old expression 'Blink and you miss it!"?
2) Here's the back-lit Corvette, 1959 if I'm not mistaken. That low, bright angle just popped the body sculpting and contours, you can't make this stuff up.
3) The license plate tells most of the story, along with the suspension. Really looks like a bug, doesn't it?
4) South Golden Road, the main (only) drag for the cruisers. Every available parking lot literally stuffed with classics, projects, rat rods, lowriders. 'for sale' cars and many oddities. Taken while perched on an uncomfortable rock on the median divider, looking north, towards Golden. I believe the rocks are intended to keep idiots off the divider. Ahem.
5) Again, the low, hard-angled sunset backlight combined with body/paint work to drool over, a gearhead photog's dream. DA 35mm.
Hope you enjoy these!
Ron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF