Why I ride…

08-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #1383
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Great shots Ron!
Thanks, monochrome! Yep, we've come all the way back since the 60's Bug. Dune buggies, replica or kit cars and millions of other VW mods. I've even seen a f/g body that looks like a mini Rolls Royce! But this...well, a V8 Bug sounds like an oxymoron to begin with, plus that suspension.
Hey! Maybe a VW LowRider? You know, with the hydraulic lifters? Hop, jump, tilt....
Ron
08-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #1384
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

08-07-2014, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #1385
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello all and thanks for keeping this thread going...
I've only made a few car shows this year, been busy with photo-club activities. But I did host a club meetup at the August Golden Super-Cruise last weekend and had quite a good turnout, too. Photograph Classic Cars! - Metro Denver Digital Photography Learning Group (Denver, CO) - Meetup .
It was very busy and crowded, well over 600 cars this month. This is a late-day event, 4pm to 8:30pm, so it's nearly dark when they finish. That made for some dramatic low-angle lighting at dusk, you can see the 'sunset' side/backlighting on the Corvette and GM Truck shot.
All done with K-5, AV mode, DA 16-45 or DA 35mmAL, f/7.1 - f/8, shutter at 'panning speed' around 1/100s and ISO 100.
First up, my favorite capture, TWO 1934 Ford 3-window Coupes. I was panning single cars at the traffic-circle turnaround, when this pair of matching beauties entered my viewfinder. 3 clicks and they're gone, this one is the best. You know the old expression 'Blink and you miss it!"?
2) Here's the back-lit Corvette, 1959 if I'm not mistaken. That low, bright angle just popped the body sculpting and contours, you can't make this stuff up.
3) The license plate tells most of the story, along with the suspension. Really looks like a bug, doesn't it?
4) South Golden Road, the main (only) drag for the cruisers. Every available parking lot literally stuffed with classics, projects, rat rods, lowriders. 'for sale' cars and many oddities. Taken while perched on an uncomfortable rock on the median divider, looking north, towards Golden. I believe the rocks are intended to keep idiots off the divider. Ahem.
5) Again, the low, hard-angled sunset backlight combined with body/paint work to drool over, a gearhead photog's dream. DA 35mm.
Hope you enjoy these!
Ron
Enjoy them very much Ron! Always a pleasure to see your pictures. The cars always give me a , um, well you know, they get me wound up!

That beetle is, well, interesting. I suppose if the guy ever takes it out into the dunes it will resist a rollover. Otherwise I suspect the cops will give him grief over the distance the tires and wheels stick out!
08-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #1386
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Why I ride…

I really like this shot John. The motion makes the whole scene.

So, how did you mount the camera?
08-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #1387
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Enjoy them very much Ron! Always a pleasure to see your pictures. The cars always give me a , um, well you know, they get me wound up!
That beetle is, well, interesting. I suppose if the guy ever takes it out into the dunes it will resist a rollover. Otherwise I suspect the cops will give him grief over the distance the tires and wheels stick out!
Thanks, Racer! Yes, it doesn't take much for my inner gearhead to get revved up either.
That VW has had a lot of work, but the body finish still says 'Rat', a look I'm gradually getting used to, if not appreciate. I much prefer an 'original' resto finish, or a modern paint job, but hey, to each his own.
FWIW, going with my club, to an event that I normally shoot alone, is very interesting. I was helping others (mostly newbies) with panning technique and exposure tips, but my shot count (340 on one body) didn't seem to suffer. I just had more fun, plenty of friendly photography chatter and a chance (later) to see everyone's work.
Ron

08-08-2014, 04:49 AM   #1388
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

That VW has had a lot of work, but the body finish still says 'Rat', a look I'm gradually getting used to, if not appreciate. I much prefer an 'original' resto finish, or a modern paint job, but hey, to each his own.
I've been living on a private gravel road for the last 10 years, and my vehicles get real dirty, dusty in the summertime, and muddy in the winter.

I saw a car based show on the tube the other day and this guy had a early 1950's wagon of some kind. On the outside it looked like a beater, in fact if I had a ride that looked like that I wouldn't hesitate to park right up front at the grocery store.

But underneath the skin it was all modern running gear. Independent front and rear suspension, electronic fuel injection and ignition, telescoping and tilt steering column, heated leather seats that are electrically adjustable, air conditioning, power windows and door locks, etc.

An old ride with today's reliable and powerful underpinnings.

A car I wouldn't mind driving up and down the dirt road I live on either.

I think I'm gonna build something like that.
08-08-2014, 05:28 AM   #1389
Veteran Member

I really like this shot John. The motion makes the whole scene.

So, how did you mount the camera?
Monopod mounted to a hard-shell backpack
08-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #1390
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Monopod mounted to a hard-shell backpack
Thanks John!
08-11-2014, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #1391
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Soneff's Master Garage Car Show + Sale

Here's five from a Classic Car Show + Sale last Saturday. The late John Soneff collected Hudsons, Mopars and other rare autos within his auto-storage warehouse, and the new owners had their first annual show and sale. I was also invited to see the workshops, storage and basement areas, and allowed to photograph wherever I went. There's a dozen or so on my Flickr, including these five, and four more from the basement, iirc.
1) Directly across the street from Soneff's, some nice muscle and street rod metal; One of the few price-tags I spotted was on the '70 (I think) yellow Torino across the street, distant. $46,000.
2) I turned around and pointed my camera south, towards downtown. Mopar muscle city!
3) Kept turning, east now, south of Soneff's. They're still bringing cars out here, a '56 T-Bird (black, full res) waited for me to frame this shot, thanks! Spot the GT 40?
4) Did I mention Hudsons? Oh, a Hornet! Convertible, no less.
5) Cue the spooky music, creaking doors, kick some dust around. Oh, yes, change ISO, too.
A great gearhead photo op, hope you like' em.
Ron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by rbefly; 08-11-2014 at 07:25 PM.
08-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #1392
Veteran Member

I've been living on a private gravel road for the last 10 years, and my vehicles get real dirty, dusty in the summertime, and muddy in the winter.

I saw a car based show on the tube the other day and this guy had a early 1950's wagon of some kind. On the outside it looked like a beater, in fact if I had a ride that looked like that I wouldn't hesitate to park right up front at the grocery store.

But underneath the skin it was all modern running gear. Independent front and rear suspension, electronic fuel injection and ignition, telescoping and tilt steering column, heated leather seats that are electrically adjustable, air conditioning, power windows and door locks, etc.

An old ride with today's reliable and powerful underpinnings.

A car I wouldn't mind driving up and down the dirt road I live on either.

I think I'm gonna build something like that.
I've always wanted to do something like that, really. (Maybe not so heavy on the mod-cons, but seats aren't so hard to get, either: most of the people who want luxury cars want *new* luxury cars, so the older ones tend to get cheap pretty fast, (cause something with more practicality or not a gas-hog is much more valuable if you have to get a car low-rent, generally.) Usually means you can get all kinds of posh bits pretty easy if you want to fit up some fancy interior. (Back when there were more junkyards you could pick around they'd pretty much let you walk off with all the seats you wanted. )

I always thought that'd be fun, with the right tools, and assuming there was no vintage interior to preserve: (People used to do up a lot of like early 80's General Motors cars, and I always thought the interior was designed to look and feel so much like plastic crap that people would assume that made them economical. I'd have that out in a second if cirrcumstances were right.

Even the Ratmobile's got power leather seats (Somewhat the worse for twenty years of Southern life, but hey. ) And what's more, once again running through the wonders of restored fuel pressure.

Now the ol' gal needs a good bath and polish, ...I expect to be moving to more-affordable (and less-musty) digs, actually don't want to make her seem too much of a beater around the new neighbors. (She's not a beater, just needs attention. And my unpaved driveway is just a dirt-dispenser. ) New place has a carport, so I can both attend more to the superficial and also not have to wait for just the right weather to turn wrenches under the hood. Hopefully parts money as well. once I make *myself(* look a little more respectable.

Also, rbefly, Mopars! I think I see Duster 340-nose.
08-11-2014, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #1393
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I finally got to attend another Cars and Coffee event the other weekend. Although I had a bit of a hard time photographing some blue blob.

And then among the giants, emerged this fellow-

08-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #1394
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Saw that last one in blue the other day, heading into Stanley Park in Vancouver. I was explaining to my brother that that sighting made my day, even if I saw some generic supercar, only to look down the road and see a black F430. Point made
08-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #1395
Veteran Member

Thanks, Racer! Yes, it doesn't take much for my inner gearhead to get revved up either.

Ron
You know, kind of missed this one. As shadetree-auto finish goes, I've been giving some thought to the Ratmobile's paint, which is generally good but has progressive sun-spoiled clearcoat damage on the hood and roof I'd been hoping to have arrested by now, (conditions in my driveway and lack of a few extra bucks have prevented this: I underestimated the impact of no-carport when it came to how much sun and dirt there'd be in the way of that. I'm planning to move where there'll be more shade and a carport, and I'd also prefer to make self and car look a touch more respectable with the resulting i-hope-relaxing-of-money-constraints.

Anyway, it's like this: Since I usually find hand-polishing paint to be something that makes about the right therapeutic exercise for the arthritis and chronic stuff, I've figured I'll just have the damaged clearcoat off and try my old procedure of using a combination of hand-doing things with polishing compound/Nu Finish, with some Meguiar's Mirror Glaze and then some layers of Turtle Wax, (Then see if that's equal to the intensity of the Southern Sun)

For the roof I've considered containing the clearcoat damage by spraying some of the middle of it with some silver paint(About the width of the sunroof) to reduce the hot-box factor of a dark wagon in this place, and preserving the rest which at the time wasn't so clearcoat-damaged. (Now that damage has crept to more-visible areas, so I might treat those like the hood, whether or not I paint the middle of the roof. That's still just a lot of surface area to maintain if I don't cover it with something more permanent than waxes and glazes, I think, )

If anyone's following that, I'm just wondering if anyone's aware of any useful options or products. (Most consumer stuff isn't marketed toward low-budget sweat equity, really. ) I've had the thought that I could take my time doing my polishing and coating, then when all the original paint on these surfaces is all nice, I might strip off all the waxes and apply some sort of good quality clearcoat out of cans or a rental compressor. Something I could lay down, let cure, and just wet sand to niceness might serve, for instance. It's the sort of thing you might just go to a Maaco etc for, I think, possibly much more efficiently, but there's a lot of more-important things car could use if it comes to paying someone else a chunk. (Kind of a lot of the point is it may be superficial, but it's something I can do and accomplish when I can't do much else. )