Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2012, 06:22 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Gearheads, Unite!

Since I go to lots of Classic Car Cruises, Auto Shows and car-related events, it seemed like a good idea to combine two of my favorite activities;
Photos of classic cars!
Narrowing it down to five for a thread starter was the hard part, but here goes.
Any other gearheads out there? Let's see the pics!
Ron

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
06-20-2012, 05:24 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's a guy driving around here lately in an antique two-tone silver Rolls. I have been trying to get a pic of that but I haven't seen him except on the main roads. I am dying to get a shot of that car. It is beyond amazing. I think it's probably a 30's car from the look of it and it's in just superb condition. It just gleams in the sun. I think it's a Phantom II but I'm not sure. It looks a lot like one. The whole car is a two-toned basic and sparkling and silver. It's so clean you could probably eat off the hood too. Around here keeping a car like that would take serious work.

Last edited by magkelly; 06-20-2012 at 05:30 AM.
06-20-2012, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #3
Banned

I few years ago I rode my Kawasaki ZX-11 down main street in my local town and there were many older cars there.
06-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Jogiba that looks like Somerville on a friday night. is it?

06-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by wayne james Quote
Jogiba that looks like Somerville on a friday night. is it?
Yes, I think it was September 2009.
06-20-2012, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The best friend I ever had owned a 1961 Austin Healy, wire wheels, electric select overdrive, and the triple SU carb engine. What a sweet ride! He gave me first refusal when he sold it, but I couldn't quite come up with the money. I've regretted that for many years; with proper care that car would have appreciated over the years, and I could have had the pleasure of driving it.

Magkelly, my father knew a guy during the Depression who had an old Rolls-Royce. He had the name "Ozymandias" painted on its side in ornate gold lettering. The name is from the Shelley poem, which has the line "Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair." Of course the poem ends in a rather "down" fashion.
06-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Somewhere I have several shots, taken with my LX, of a Morgan Tricycle. Yes, it had three wheels, two up front, and was powered by a Vee twin motorcycle engine! The example I shot was in for repair at a shop in Hartwell, Georgia, of all places, and I had the chance to walk around it and take quite a few shots. Now that's a car that would really turn heads on Main Street, USA! I'll have to rummage around for the negatives and scan them in.

Morgan later built "ordinary" four wheel vehicles; a friend let me drive his a few years ago. The car is so low that the driver, seated, can reach out and touch the ground. They are still in production, using modern mechanicals with reinterpretation of classic British styling. I like the '60s editions better. BTW back in the day the body panels were formed to fit over ash, i e, wood, formers! So a termite contract might be in order.

I once gave consideration to buying a bright red example, but as it would have been my only car I decided against it. Ah, well.

06-20-2012, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I once gave consideration to buying a bright red example, but as it would have been my only car I decided against it. Ah, well.
About 25 years ago I had a shot at a 1962 ash-framed black over red Plus 4. Alas, that evening my wife told me she was "with child." Volvos, Hondas and Subarus ever since.
06-20-2012, 05:40 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
We're United!

Thanks to Magkelly, Jogiba (esp. for the video!) Wayne James, Grhazelton + Monochrome for posting, hope to see some photos.
Here's a few more to keep everyone interested...
Ron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
06-20-2012, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I love old cars. My Focus is a nice little thing but it's one of millions. One day I'd love to own a Willy Wagon actually or maybe a vintage Beetle coupe. I can't afford a truly old car but I could do one of those.
06-20-2012, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #11
Inactive Account

This reminded me of a time before I was into photography.
I was hitching a ride in Taupo New Zealand when two 58' Corvettes (my favourite car) drove past in the space of 2 minutes.
I was thinking "Something is up here" and sure enough a huge procession of dozens of Corvettes came rumbling past!
It was awesome! If only HD smartphones were invented then! (it was about 1997/98 so I didn't even have a basic cell-phone yet).
06-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ooh, OP: Ooh, there's a few of my favorites there. (The rest more conventionally, but I've always thought a project idea: "The Puce Deuce" needs to be built.

Hey, we're 21st century Pentaxians, even a lot of the gals are gearheads.

The original Ratmobile. (after backyard rebuild. I was particularly proud of the interior, just needed new front seat covers, (in original off-white. ) Basically, I made this. (Pardon the funky effects, I didn't think a lousy machine print would be the last photo I got. )

Had a good enough time, but I was missing that ol' gal for a Midsummer night's cruise with surf music.
06-20-2012, 08:40 PM - 3 Likes   #13

Goodguys Rod and Custom Car Show at the Kansas Speedway

Kansas Speedway Winners circle
06-21-2012, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've posted so many car pics in the Post Your Photos section over the last couple of months, I'll be banned if I post any more here. However, I dig the thread and - since I'm a Porschephile - I especially like the last shot the OP posted. I'd love to walk among those 356s.

Jer
06-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
More Cool Cars!

Thanks to Magkelly (a restored Beetle sounds great!) Tonto, Ratmagiclady (what car is that? I don't recognize the interior), Kaufeetime- great photos, especially the last Mopar shot- and Jer, you would have loved the show two weeks ago, Concours de' Elegance (spelling???) rare and exotic cars, hundreds of' em. They had judges crawling all over the cars, handing out ribbons and plaques for the best ones. I took my K10D and K-7, nearly 800 photos, ran out the battery in the K-7. One of the best shows I've seen.
Thanks again for all the support, this has turned into a fun thread!
Ron