Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #391
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Midget Racer

I always had a thing for these little monsters This one is powered by a quite rare ford flathead 60 which only 136 cubic inch (2.2 liter) taken with my K5 and sigma 8-16 lens

02-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #392
Veteran Member

Yay for more motoring!

That's intriguing warpage. Is that lens more or less rectilinear, perchance? (I don't know if zooms can actually be made that way, properly,: I haven't really paid much heed to ultra-wides for digital, except that that looks a lot more straight-lined than my Nikonian friend's Tokina of similar FL. )

Still prowling around for interesting vehicles. There's usually plenty around here, that I usually pass up photographing unless there's an interesting people shot or scene in it, but now that I'm looking, I'm not catching too many.
02-09-2013, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #393
Forum Member

how about an aircraft carrier

We ultrawides (or should it be doublewide's) have a lens club for the amazing sigma 8-16
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/107938-sigma-8-16mm-club.html

It is rectilinear not fish-eye. but it does have a ton of distortion on the 8mm end.
the picture is the Midway aircraft carrier museum in San diego

Last edited by wolffy; 02-09-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
02-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #394
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lovely picture... And I would love to go have a look at that museum some time. Just another thing to add to the list should I ever make it to the States.

02-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #395
Banned

Twin-Turbo Z06 Corvette runs 162+mph in 8.87sec

QuoteQuote:
Redline Motorsports’ Z06 Corvette may be far from stock, but it still makes the cut as what can still be considered a “street car”. The catch is that it could be one of the quickest late-model street cars you’ve ever seen. Redline recently sent us over this video from their YouTube page to show off just how quick this (all things considered) mild mannered C6 really is. Watch for yourself, and what you’ll observe is this full weight Z06 hurtling to 8.87 at 162 MPH, even with a soft off-idle launch.

We talked with Howard Tanner, President of Redline Motorsports, who gave us more of the specifics on the Corvette. “The engine is a 432 cubic inch LS we built with all forged rotating assembly,” says Tanner. “It’s got 9.4:1 compression, and uses LS7 cylinder heads. We built the custom twin turbo system using GT35R ball bearing turbos, and the engine produces around 1,200 HP running on VP Q16 fuel.”

One big deviation from the Z06’s stock configuration is the automatic transmission. “We just recently installed a 4L80E from RPM Transmissions,” Tanner tells us. “It was just impossible to run at the track to its full potential as a manual trans car.”

For traction the Redline Z06 relies on a set of Mickey Thompson 345/35/18 drag radials mounted over a set of custom CCW wheels designed to clear the big 6-piston Brembos. Tanner adds, “The car still leaves very soft with a 1.60 60-foot time. Our next goal is 8.50′s. We are pulling the transmission and installing a trans brake and two step controller to try and lower the 60-foot into the 1.3 to 1.4 range.”

This is all from a car has complete interior and a functioning air conditioner. Quick street car? Yes indeed.
Video: Redline Motorsports’ Twin-Turbo Z06 Goes High 8s | Dragzine

02-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #396
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Lovely picture... And I would love to go have a look at that museum some time. Just another thing to add to the list should I ever make it to the States.
There are maritime museums dotted up both coast and every one I have seen is cool. So wherever you end up there is likely one not too far away.

Last edited by bullitt_60; 02-11-2013 at 08:33 PM.
02-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #397
Banned

Jeff Gordon shows off his moves in Harlem Shake video

QuoteQuote:
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — The Harlem Shake videos have gone viral, and Jeff Gordon's Hendrick Motorsports team danced their way into the latest trend.

In a video posted on funnyordie.com, Gordon and the No. 24 team shake their booties to the Harlem Shake in a 30-second video.

Gordon, in particular, has some awesome moves. That would normally come as a surprise, except Gordon already revealed his hidden talent at a 2011 postseason fan event in Las Vegas when he demonstrated his breakdancing skills.

The video, which follows many other Harlem Shake clips popping up around the web, currently has a 94 percent approval rating on FunnyOrDie. Gordon and his Hendrick team filmed it in just two takes.

"It was one of the best times I've ever had, certainly the best time I've ever had in my race shop with my guys in there," he said during Thursday's NASCAR Media Day. "Luckily it was quick, so it didn't take them away from their jobs for too long — because there's a lot going on at the shop. It turned out fun. I'm a little embarrassed at my dancing, but it was still worth it."
Jeff Gordon shows off his moves in Harlem Shake video

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/3ca1c1a01b/harlem-shake-jeff-gordon-edition

Also here is Michael Waltrip's Harlem Shake video :

Last edited by jogiba; 02-16-2013 at 04:09 PM.
02-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #398
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
*sigh*

Don't those boys have enough work to do?

Oh, and white boys just can't dance.
02-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #399
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
*sigh*

Don't those boys have enough work to do?

Oh, and white boys just can't dance.
Honestly? Speaking as a true 'switch hitter,' white boys are fully capable of dancing. Among other things. They just have some kind of interrupt between their masculinity and learning *how.* That's how I could always out-drive em well past my cubic inches by putting in a couple suspension bushings all along. You can dance, but whether it's about cameras or engines, I'm the archetypal gal who can burn you with much less kit cause you're thinking about something besides what you're doing. Cars, cameras, or carbines. Same thing.

That was me in the 80's with budget gear, some Nikonian dude would be like 'You can't work with that!' I'd be like 'That's not what *he* says* and be reloaded and gone before Mr. Nikonian looked back from the completely-imaginary 'he' I was pointing at.

If you're all wound up thinking about what the other boys are thinking, you're in my rearview. I'll beat you with an inline six. Repeatedly. And that *especially* relates to dancing. Just dance. Just drive, just shoot. Same thing all around. Same thing, really. Stop competing with other boys and be there. That's all.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-16-2013 at 07:11 PM.
02-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #400
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Swedish Flick?
Here's the wikipedia entry. The important part is "turns of an increasing radius" - in other words, if there's stuff to hit as you exit the corner, you'll probably hit it.

Scandinavian flick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the thread, I'll throw in the only vehicle shot I've taken this year:

02-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #401
Banned

Courtney Force is #1 in NHRA Winternationals Funny Car qualifying

QuoteQuote:
Last year’s top rookie, Funny Car racer Courtney Force, took over the No. 1 qualifying spot at the O’Reilly Auto Parts NHRA Winternationals
NHRA.com

QuoteQuote:
Funny-car drag racer Courtney Force posted the fastest qualifying time heading into Sunday's final eliminations at the NHRA Winternationals in Pomona.

"It's really exciting especially because it's my home track," Force, who is from Yorba Linda, said of Auto Club Raceway. "But I've still got to focus. There are guys right behind me."

In the first of two qualifying passes Saturday, Force's Ford ran down the 1,000-foot drag strip in 4.036 seconds at 318.24 mph on a warm day in which the track temperature at one point topped 100 degrees.

That was the fastest time among the 16 funny-car drivers advancing to Sunday's eliminations, which start at 11 a.m.

The 24-year-old Force, last season's rookie of the year, is the daughter of 15-time funny-car champion John Force, 63, who qualified 11th.

In top fuel, the other elite class of the National Hot Rod Assn., seven-time champion Tony Schumacher led qualifiers with a time of 3.753 seconds at 328.14 mph. Schumacher has six career wins at the Pomona track.
Courtney Force tops funny-car qualifiers at NHRA Winternationals - latimes.com
02-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #402
Banned

Danica Patrick on Daytona 500 pole

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series | NASCAR.com

02-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #403
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to see Courtney following in her daddy's footsteps. It would be fantastic if she could amass the record of her father.
02-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #404
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Honestly? Speaking as a true 'switch hitter,' white boys are fully capable of dancing. Among other things. They just have some kind of interrupt between their masculinity and learning *how.* That's how I could always out-drive em well past my cubic inches by putting in a couple suspension bushings all along. You can dance, but whether it's about cameras or engines, I'm the archetypal gal who can burn you with much less kit cause you're thinking about something besides what you're doing. Cars, cameras, or carbines. Same thing.

That was me in the 80's with budget gear, some Nikonian dude would be like 'You can't work with that!' I'd be like 'That's not what *he* says* and be reloaded and gone before Mr. Nikonian looked back from the completely-imaginary 'he' I was pointing at.

If you're all wound up thinking about what the other boys are thinking, you're in my rearview. I'll beat you with an inline six. Repeatedly. And that *especially* relates to dancing. Just dance. Just drive, just shoot. Same thing all around. Same thing, really. Stop competing with other boys and be there. That's all.
RML, sometimes you are so cryptic I have trouble understanding your posts.

But I think I get your drift. You are saying that white boys do have the rhythm and skill needed to boogie, they are just too preoccupied to know it, right?

I still think them NASCAR boys can't dance and should stick to what they are good at.

Oh, and I had a '75 Toyota pickup with a 2 liter 4 banger (20R) years ago that I had breathed on some. Not only would it outrun an inline 6, it smoked plenty of small block Chevy's and Fords. Cannon manifold, Weber carb, Clifford header with 3" exhaust, shaved ported and polished head, bored, stroked, balanced, and a special cam grind. Wasted no time at all getting well North of 140. And with the suspension work I did to it, I was able to turn sub 1:40 laps at Seattle International Raceways on track days.

Shoot, my Datsun 240Z road racer only bettered that with low 1:30's.

And it is built to do that stuff.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Here's the wikipedia entry. The important part is "turns of an increasing radius" - in other words, if there's stuff to hit as you exit the corner, you'll probably hit it.

Scandinavian flick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks Dave.

Reading the WIki proved interesting, but one thing seemed missing. It talks about the technique for inducing the drifting slide for the turn, the way the rally drivers do it, but does not mention that rally cars have a lever to apply the rear brakes only to assist in getting the car to "flick".

But the Wiki discusses the technique as it originated many years ago, and perhaps rally cars back then were not fitted with such a lever.

Oh, and I've done the same thing for years while fooling about in the snow. Just pull up on the handbrake lever while holding the release button with my thumb, then let it back down after inducing the drift.

It is tricky in my Subaru, as the all wheel drive sometimes will not co-operate when I'm trying to get the car to drift around a bend.

Good times!

Here is Ken Block showing us how the Swedish Flick works, while tearing up the streets of San Fransisco (Caution, large video. Please be patient while it loads. If you are a true gearhead it will be well worth the wait.):

02-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #405
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Reading the WIki proved interesting, but one thing seemed missing. It talks about the technique for inducing the drifting slide for the turn, the way the rally drivers do it, but does not mention that rally cars have a lever to apply the rear brakes only to assist in getting the car to "flick".

But the Wiki discusses the technique as it originated many years ago, and perhaps rally cars back then were not fitted with such a lever.
Also known as a hand brake. Most cars since the dawn of time have had them.

I always thought the Scandinavian flick was used to break rear traction so the hand brake did not need to be used?

re Ken Block: Amazing what 5 days, a million shots and practises can achieve. The man certainly can make a video, if only he could win a race.

Last edited by dcBear78; 02-17-2013 at 06:55 PM.