Name:  IMGP2615.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  144.6 KB

04-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #1247
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote

. . . . . . . . Well shot, as usual, Jer and what a nice colour It's an XK120.

Richard.
Hey Richard, thanks much for looking at and commenting on these photos twice, particularly since you're the guru of candid automotive photography.

It was quite a surprise, my wife coming upon this beauty! I've had the pleasure of riding in an E-Type but never one of these voluptuous beasts.

Jer
04-06-2014, 12:26 AM   #1248
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey Richard, thanks much for looking at and commenting on these photos twice, particularly since you're the guru of candid automotive photography.

It was quite a surprise, my wife coming upon this beauty! I've had the pleasure of riding in an E-Type but never one of these voluptuous beasts.

Jer
Me? A Guru? That's very kind of you, Jer, but I'm a long way from that. I'm working at it, though

I can only remember one ride in an XK120. A friend at uni had one. It was not in as good condition as the one you shot. As far as I can remember, the XK120 and 6-cyl E-Type feel similar. V-12 E-Type not so much. I was takes for a ride in a 1937/38 SS100 a few years ago. Very different feel.

Richard.
04-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #1249
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For you Jag fans and all other fans of sports cars, keep in mind the Pittsburgh Vintage Gran Prix! It is held every summer at Schenley Park; the roads are blocked off and those who dare race their older iron in a number of classes. Admission is free, as is parking. Each year is dedicated to a specific marque, but there are displays of many brands of many ages. Refreshments are of course dispensed. See this website: Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

My brother Dean lives in "Da Burg" and I've been to the races several times. It is a hoot!

04-07-2014, 02:39 AM   #1250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
New Car Show

Hello All, thanks for keeping this thread alive!
Here's my first classic car show for the season, a small neighborhood roundup with a definite '50's feel. They even had a Rockabilly/Oldies band playing, food and some sweet old rides. Here's a few;
(1) Life Is Good! Especially if you're young and have a cool old convertible like this, I think it's a 1953 Buick, but could easily be wrong.
(2) Beautiful near-stock 3-window, check that clean bodywork.
(3) Here's something you don't see everyday, a mechanic's roll-away converted to a gas grill! Want a greasy burger?
(4) Rare Mercury Monarch (Canadian Merc) with outstanding bodywork and paint. Think this is '48 or '49?
(5) My one pan/blur shot, 1/50s shutter speed. This rod took the corner slowly, then applied somewhat more go-juice than absolutely necessary. Uh, huh. Announced his arrival and annoyed the neighbors, both quite successfully.
I've posted five more on PYP, including a color shot of the Merc. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/256909-streets-spring...-all-ages.html
Ron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-07-2014, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #1251
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Buick is a late '40s, I think.
04-07-2014, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #1252
Veteran Member

I would say that's a good guess on the Buick, late 40's
2nd picture - I say late 40 too - Plymouth or Dodge?
3rd is a 49 and something just doesn't look right with it. mild chop ?
4th is a 30 -31 Ford model A
nice to see your car pictures, rbefly

04-07-2014, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #1253
Forum Member

Definitely appears to be a bit of a chop there. I believe at that time Monarch was its own division, so this example would simply be referred to as a Monarch (though there was a Mercury Monarch in the 70's). There was also a Meteor division in later years, with names like Niagara and Rideau. We also got Mercury trucks until '68. Here's my '62:

The photo is from 2005, and was taken with my garage-sale find Ricoh XR500 (my first true SLR). I believe the lens was a Sigma wide-angle zoom I purchased off eBay for $20 or so.

The camera itself was $2 with a 50mm prime.
04-07-2014, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #1254
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Here's my first classic car show for the season, a small neighborhood roundup with a definite '50's feel. They even had a Rockabilly/Oldies band playing, food and some sweet old rides. Here's a few;
(1) Life Is Good! Especially if you're young and have a cool old convertible like this, I think it's a 1953 Buick, but could easily be wrong.
(3) Here's something you don't see everyday, a mechanic's roll-away converted to a gas grill! Want a greasy burger?
(4) Rare Mercury Monarch (Canadian Merc) with outstanding bodywork and paint. Think this is '48 or '49?
(5) My one pan/blur shot, 1/50s shutter speed. This rod took the corner slowly, then applied somewhat more go-juice than absolutely necessary. Uh, huh. Announced his arrival and annoyed the neighbors, both quite successfully.
I've posted five more on PYP, including a color shot of the Merc. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/256909-streets-spring...-all-ages.html
Ron
Hey, I see there is still fluffy white stuff on the ground there. Some brave ones coming out this early!
04-07-2014, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #1255
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Ron
Lookin' good, buddy. I especially like the B&W one - it makes me want to put on a white t-shirt and roll up a pack of Camels in the left sleeve. Hey, where's my Brylcreem????

Jer
04-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #1256
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by polachekphotography Quote
Here's my '62:
Looks "lowered".

Hey, where's my Brylcreem????
What? No axle grease?
04-08-2014, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #1257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thanks and appreciatation to grhhazelton, wayne james, polachekphotography, Racer and Jer! As usual, I need some help with the exact years, models and occasionally, even the brand name!
Guess I was way off on the Buick age, sorry about that. Isn't this car similar to the one in Karate Kid?
That Merc has quite a story to it, I talked to the owner at length. He said in Canada the Monarch name was used earlier than the '70's version (Granada/Monarch) of smaller cars. There were a few post-war and mid-fifties versions with slight variations from the USA Fords and Mercs, and the Canada Merc didn't have Mercury badges. Just 'Monarch' and he had the original gold-plated badges mounted in place. According to him, it was a rare car then and virtually unknown now. The paint is charcoal-gray metallic, tiny gold metal-flakes that are hard to catch with a photo. Chopped, dropped, complete custom interior, huge sound-system in the trunk and some fine bodywork. I did a long search and found a few entries for Canadian Monarch cars between 1949 (this one) and the mid-fifties, apparently there even was a Crown-Vic type roofline on one '56 model.
@ Racer, yes, there is still a bit of snow lingering on the shady side of the street, but it'll melt soon. Or, it might snow again! This is Colorado, after all.
Here's five more, including the band. For you Oldies fans, they did Link Wray, Duane Eddy, along with older Country and Rockabilly tunes.
Ron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #1258
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Looks "lowered".

Yup, I'd like to get it that low in a driveable state but the stance as pictured is courtesy of a flat tire on the driver's side, and a missing wheel and brake drum on the passenger side.
04-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #1259
Veteran Member

Truer words were never spoken, Richard. I can testify to the fun of a Morris Minor convertible. I've also owned three, inexpensive Mazda MX-5/Miatas over the years, and if something (available in the US, at least) offers more fun for the buck, I don't know what it is. However, they're not very practical (like any sports car) and might not meet RML's needs.

Jer
It's true, there. Actually as true sportscars go an all points I really loved my old mid-seventies Z-car. (That I've shown pictures of. ) Proof it's not about money. Certainly I think if I could afford one, I would think twice in my current condition about being old school in a car that might otherwise come with 'launch control.' But I stilll wouldn't be afraid to drive that old Z. (A nimble inline six with a hatch, that's right in my happy zone. )
04-10-2014, 05:50 AM   #1260
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It's true, there. Actually as true sportscars go an all points I really loved my old mid-seventies Z-car. (That I've shown pictures of. ) Proof it's not about money. Certainly I think if I could afford one, I would think twice in my current condition about being old school in a car that might otherwise come with 'launch control.' But I stilll wouldn't be afraid to drive that old Z. (A nimble inline six with a hatch, that's right in my happy zone. )
I remember those pics, RML. I coveted the 240Z when it came out, but I was a poor grad student and it was out of my reach. A few years later, after my wife and I moved to Boston, we bought an old second car (to thrust against the bedlam of Boston traffic) and I considered a 260Z. However, we knew we'd soon be starting a family and needed something a bit more practical - we settled for a new Camaro. To this day, I regret not buying the 260Z.

Jer