Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 609 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2015, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #1606
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I think Q must have designed those front lugs!
They are actually made from plastic, for fairly obvious reasons, unless someone with a lathe made their own. They snap over the lug nuts. I admit they look like something out of Goldfinger or Ben Hur for that matter.

12-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #1607
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those things are a menace to cyclists.
12-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #1608

Tom S. -

I do believe they (the truck lug nuts are some sort of steel. I see them all the time on the SoCal freeways. The ones I've seen, are NOT plastic. Plastic doesn't get rust marks..!
While they "could" be plastic, they also might not be.

Mike
12-12-2015, 06:08 AM   #1609
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You're both right.

Metal
Metal Lugz Spiked Lug Nuts | Detroit Wheels

Plastic
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZQ09L2W/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_pa_1/190-08490...d_i=B00NS4V5IG

12-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #1610
Veteran Member

Pretty much got my LS swap figured out for my truck (1997 C1500 rcsb)

Main points being a 6.0L or 5.3L LS1 from a 2003 or newer chev truck mated to a T-56.

Once I'm home from work in a week or so (yay for another christmas at work on the other side of the country), first purchase will be the engine itself. Not too many 6.0's kicking around my area, but there seems to be enough 5.3's that I've found in my internet searches. The T-56 will be a little harder to source, might have to resort to a new/rebuild but that will be $$$$. A Tremec TKO-500 would also be sweet (6spd vs 5spd) but those are aftermarket units and so $$$$ again (but a little less than a comparable T-56 magnum)

Also been toying with the idea of a cam (and the requisite valvetrain upgrades) + heads to bump up the power. Nothing too crazy for the cam, would rather keep or improve low end torque than reach for those peak numbers.

Aside from the swap, other plans are new lights front and back, and perhaps some new shoes.
12-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #1611
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
Pretty much got my LS swap figured out for my truck (1997 C1500 rcsb)

Main points being a 6.0L or 5.3L LS1 from a 2003 or newer chev truck mated to a T-56.

Once I'm home from work in a week or so (yay for another christmas at work on the other side of the country), first purchase will be the engine itself. Not too many 6.0's kicking around my area, but there seems to be enough 5.3's that I've found in my internet searches. The T-56 will be a little harder to source, might have to resort to a new/rebuild but that will be $$$$. A Tremec TKO-500 would also be sweet (6spd vs 5spd) but those are aftermarket units and so $$$$ again (but a little less than a comparable T-56 magnum)

Also been toying with the idea of a cam (and the requisite valvetrain upgrades) + heads to bump up the power. Nothing too crazy for the cam, would rather keep or improve low end torque than reach for those peak numbers.

Aside from the swap, other plans are new lights front and back, and perhaps some new shoes.
I understand a lot of rodders are putting turbos on stock LS engines and getting significant power, But even stock, the LS is very healthy power wise and with a turbo, I always have a concern about jeopardizing any engine's durability, if too much boost is dialed in .

With a cam emphasizing low end torque, are you planning to use the vehicle for some towing ?

I like the idea of the manual transmission. Too few vehicles seem to have them these days.

Please keep posting about your progress on this interesting project.
12-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #1612
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Classy!

Those rank right up there with the chrome naked lady with lighted wings hood ornament
or chrome testicles hanging from the trailer hitch of your pickup...

Chris

12-18-2015, 09:45 PM   #1613
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I understand a lot of rodders are putting turbos on stock LS engines and getting significant power, But even stock, the LS is very healthy power wise and with a turbo, I always have a concern about jeopardizing any engine's durability, if too much boost is dialed in .

With a cam emphasizing low end torque, are you planning to use the vehicle for some towing ?

I like the idea of the manual transmission. Too few vehicles seem to have them these days.

Please keep posting about your progress on this interesting project.
Not particularly, but it will allow me to tow my dad's boat should the need arise. The 4.3 Vortec with the NV3500 this has currently isn't quite up the task. This will be a daily driver, and I'd like to keep it streetable and a big lumpy cam, while sounding wicked, would only hurt manners on the street.

No plans for boost, but if I did, I'd probably lean towards supercharging rather than turbo. That may change down the road though, hey!

Everything I've read about the LS shows the blocks have amazing potential, and can give damn respectable numbers without much sweat or money.

Love me a manual trans. Pretty much the reason I bought the truck in the first place was that it had a 5-spd!
12-19-2015, 12:27 AM   #1614
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
Love me a manual trans. Pretty much the reason I bought the truck in the first place was that it had a 5-spd!
Manual trans. is all I drive, and have ever driven with the exception of 1 car. I dislike driving automatics for lots of reasons. I won't buy a vehicle unless it has a manual transmission. I don't care how good the price is. When looking for another truck, the first thing I look at is the shifter. It's hard to find a truck with a manual transmission nowadays.
12-19-2015, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #1615
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Manual trans. is all I drive, and have ever driven with the exception of 1 car. I dislike driving automatics for lots of reasons. I won't buy a vehicle unless it has a manual transmission. I don't care how good the price is. When looking for another truck, the first thing I look at is the shifter. It's hard to find a truck with a manual transmission nowadays.
Same here. These days, manual transmissions are a form of anti-theft mechanism.
12-20-2015, 06:05 AM   #1616
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The plastic ones are bad enough. The metal ones are an injury law suit waiting to happen.
12-20-2015, 07:25 AM   #1617
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Same here. These days, manual transmissions are a form of anti-theft mechanism.
Ha! Yep, cause nobody knows how to drive them.

My girlfriend has also driven manual transmission all her life. She is used to the typical 5spd. She refuses to drive my MX-5 Miata because it's a 6spd with different rear gearing than she is used to. It's meant to run at higher rpm's than the truck she drives, (which operates best at lower rpm's.) She calls it "the car with weird gears".
12-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #1618
Veteran Member

And now a conversation changer. Not just any Boattail.

12-20-2015, 04:55 PM - 3 Likes   #1619
Pentaxian

Great Car pics.... Im fond of late 60's early 70s wagons

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 12-20-2015 at 05:08 PM.
12-20-2015, 04:58 PM   #1620
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Great Car picks.... Im fond of late 60's early 70s wagons
The true wagons. Awesome.