Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 609 Likes Search this Thread
06-17-2018, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #1936
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Still too much money for what was originally a small utility truck. I saw one and was surprised by how big it is. I want a truck the size of the old S-10 or old Ranger, not a nearly full sized behemoth.

I'm with you on that (a current Tacoma barely fits the length of my garage).

The marketing suits tell the engineers, however, that Americans want "bigger" although nobody ever asked me.

06-17-2018, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #1937
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
I'm with you on that (a current Tacoma barely fits the length of my garage).

The marketing suits tell the engineers, however, that Americans want "bigger" although nobody ever asked me.
The Tacoma (we called it a Tillicum after the dumpy town outside Fort Lewis) was a tidy sized truck when it came out. That or even the older small Toyota standard cab would be cool. I would buy an old VW rabbit truck (or whatever they are called,) if folks didn't want over 5K for a diesel motored copy in very good shape. They want 3-4K for beaters. because people here use them! Old Chevys and Fords just rust away and get turned into plow trucks for the "Dooryard".

Last edited by SSGGeezer; 06-18-2018 at 07:18 AM.
06-19-2018, 03:32 PM - 2 Likes   #1938
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I don't get this regional adjustment business.
I think I do, and I think it's also BS. Dealers occasionally pull this stunt on vehicles selling well and in short supply. Don't fall for this stuff, which is gouging pure and simple; Ford'll build as many of these trucks as people will buy, so buyers should be patient.

I remember when the C-7 Corvette went into production, and dealers around here were asking for full retail as well as adding ridiculous "packs" to increase margins. A year later, the cars were plentiful, and these guys were offering serious discounts. A year or so after that, the company started putting money on the hood with rebates. A gentleman down the street from us bought a left-over 2015 C-7 in early 2016 at 25% under MSRP.

The watchword is always: caveat emptor.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 06-20-2018 at 06:18 PM.
06-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #1939
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I think I do, and I think it's also BS. Dealers occasionally pull this stunt on vehicles selling well and in short supply. Don't fall for this stuff, which is gouging pure and simple; Ford'll build as many of these trucks as people will buy, so buyers should be patient.

I remember when the C-7 Corvette went into production, and dealers around here were asking for full retail as well as adding ridiculous "packs" to increase margins. A year later, the cars were plentiful, and these guys were offering serious discounts. A year or so after that, the company started putting money on the hood with rebates. A gentleman down the street down the street from us bought a left-over 2015 C-7 in early 2016 at 25% under MSRP.

The watchword is always: caveat emptor.

Jer
I think you are spot on with this analogy Jer.

I'm not in the market for a new vehicle though.

I bought the Ram new in 01, and the Legacy new in 05. Both should last me the rest of my days.

06-20-2018, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #1940
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Still too much money for what was originally a small utility truck. I saw one and was surprised by how big it is. I want a truck the size of the old S-10 or old Ranger, not a nearly full sized behemoth.
I went from a one ton dually crew cab with an eight foot bed to this truck. Trust me, this is no where near behemoth status!

Last edited by Tom S.; 06-21-2018 at 11:03 AM.
07-28-2018, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #1941
Veteran Member

So, to revive the thread somewhat, my dear Ratmobile recently had the unusual circumstance of someone-else working on her. A storm brought down a pretty big old part of a tree limb I'd mischanced to park under; fortunately the 300K-mile-old windshield I'd been wanting to replace anyway took the brunt of the force, leaving me with a roof-dent to massage out (I ended up using my 'It's gentler to cut hole in rigid headliner to match rubber plug that may be handy' technique... less destructive than bending the thing out the tailgate,) and bye bye what little savings I had, but I had it, so called in a local outfit who had what I needed nearer, sooner, and cheaper installed than my usual parts supplier before shipping, so it's hard to regret.

Makes me want to actually get to long-delayed cosmetic work on this paint now that there's shiny new glass, but I'm still enjoying the whole 'This car doesn't feel 25 Southern years old' experience. Which may be the salient point when it comes to older cars, polished, or if necessary, renewed glass, makes a pretty big difference. (I don't think the inside safety coating on the old glass would have been polishable at all, but that was so pebbled it was hard to even clean. So. I'd put up with it and put it off until gravity pressed the issue. )
07-29-2018, 09:15 AM   #1942
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Happy to hear the old Ratmobile is still ticking after 25 years.

07-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #1943
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Happy to hear the old Ratmobile is still ticking after 25 years.
Yep, just had her 25th birthday recently.
07-29-2018, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #1944
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Yep, just had her 25th birthday recently.
What kind of cake did she get?
07-29-2018, 12:50 PM - 2 Likes   #1945
Veteran Member

What kind of cake did she get?
Castrol.
08-18-2018, 04:54 PM - 2 Likes   #1946
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

A 1936 International truck, chopped, channeled, dropped and otherwise rendered as a street rod. It has a Cadillac 500 cubic inch engine in it.

08-20-2018, 05:24 PM - 3 Likes   #1947
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

1928 Model A Sedan Delivery.

08-20-2018, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #1948
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right off the showroom floor!
08-20-2018, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #1949
Pentaxian

A 1936 International truck, chopped, channeled, dropped and otherwise rendered as a street rod. It has a Cadillac 500 cubic inch engine in it.

I like that old International. Low stance, high wheels, con rod shifter. Nice angle for the photo, low and wide.

---------- Post added 08-20-18 at 10:52 PM ----------

1928 Model A Sedan Delivery.

Nice job on that Model A. Don't see too many sedan deliveries from any era much anymore. Owner has nice set of wire wheels/tires that fill the wells. Nice , conservative rod.
08-21-2018, 02:26 AM   #1950
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I like that old International. Low stance, high wheels, con rod shifter. Nice angle for the photo, low and wide.

---------- Post added 08-20-18 at 10:52 PM ----------

Nice job on that Model A. Don't see too many sedan deliveries from any era much anymore. Owner has nice set of wire wheels/tires that fill the wells. Nice , conservative rod.
Thanks for the comments Les!