Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 609 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2018, 03:33 AM   #1996
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Ratmagiclady 97.2” wheelbase; core engineering by BMW with BMW turbo inline 6, Toyota designed the coupe body. Manufactured by Magna Steyr in Austria under contract.

Not the Celica of our youth.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-22-2018 at 03:56 AM.
09-22-2018, 09:25 AM - 3 Likes   #1997
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

'68 Camaro RS seen at a carshow recently (both shots K10D with DA16-45/4):

Small-block Chevy (327?) under the hood:
09-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #1998
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote

Nice Paul.

Is that an orange metallic, or an orange candy color?
09-23-2018, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #1999
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Nice Paul.

Is that an orange metallic, or an orange candy color?
Thanks Racer - it was a very tasteful orange (if that's possible!) metallic. It reminded me of a Hot Wheels car I owned as a kid - that one was a candy color!

Here's a nice clean '64 Chevy pickup parked next to the Camaro I posted earlier. DA16-45 on K10D:

09-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #2000
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

There was a Barracuda in Bellingham last summer I though had nicely done orange.

It looked good enough to eat in person, but was difficult to get the effect and depth of the finish. It stared out with an orange base, with no pearl. Then, each successive coat was less color, more clear, and an increasing amount of a pearl that was mostly gold but had just about all the other colors too. A black accent stripe from just behind the headlight ending in a flaming "CUDA". Finished off with more clear with a tiny bit more glittery pearl sprinkled in.

And it looked so deep you'd think you could reach in past your elbow.

Again, I struggled with capturing the true beauty of the finish on this car. It was awesome.
09-24-2018, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #2001
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Gods, I hope the new Supra isn't based on anything as tiny as a z4. I don't *want* a 'sports car.' I want a freaking *hatchback I can embarrass people who can't drive their sports cars with.* That's what a Supra is supposed to be.

...Anyway, sometimes you just love a certain kind of thing and who cares if something else is 'better.' I guess a lot of Pentaxians can relate, there.
The Supra looks like it'll be tiny in modern terms, but slightly longer than the 77 Celica - 1.5 inches longer wheelbase using Paul's number. Although the Celica is shorter and probably narrower, it had a back seat, while the Supra won't. Wikipedia says 94.75" wheelbase for the Celica and 101.2" for the BRZ/FRS. Everyone was smaller in 1977.

The Supra will have torque, which would be nice.

The BRZ/FRS is a decent starting point in a modern car. I see used ones with higher mileage for $10-11K. Assuming those are not previously wrecked, they would be candidates for replacing all the suspension stuff, refreshing the engine, modifying to personal taste, still less than a tenth of a Bentley Continental GT.
09-25-2018, 07:25 PM   #2002
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
@Ratmagiclady 97.2” wheelbase; core engineering by BMW with BMW turbo inline 6, Toyota designed the coupe body. Manufactured by Magna Steyr in Austria under contract.

Not the Celica of our youth.
Yeah. Does look like the Z4's grown a bit since the one I sometimes see around town was made, (just saw a Z3 out there today, actually looking pretty teeny in front of what it seems Honda Accords have bloated into. ) Actually tried picturing a '78 Celica for scale, felt a bit stymied. I think my sense of said scale may be a bit distorted, too. I parked the Ratmobile next to a late-model Mustang last year, was like, 'Same length? As my wagon? Really?" (Actually a couple inches shorter, by looking things up, maybe.)

---------- Post added 09-25-18 at 11:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The Supra looks like it'll be tiny in modern terms, but slightly longer than the 77 Celica - 1.5 inches longer wheelbase using Paul's number. Although the Celica is shorter and probably narrower, it had a back seat, while the Supra won't. Wikipedia says 94.75" wheelbase for the Celica and 101.2" for the BRZ/FRS. Everyone was smaller in 1977.

The Supra will have torque, which would be nice.

The BRZ/FRS is a decent starting point in a modern car. I see used ones with higher mileage for $10-11K. Assuming those are not previously wrecked, they would be candidates for replacing all the suspension stuff, refreshing the engine, modifying to personal taste, still less than a tenth of a Bentley Continental GT.
Yeah, I'm kind of open to them. They're unfortunately hard to give that bit of extra power to everyone's crying out for, (I'm sure radical engine swaps can happen, anyway, space is a bit limited, but if I needed and could afford a ready-made little runabout, (Like perhaps if I wanted to take the Ratmobile off the road a while for mods *there,* ) I'd maybe see if I actually like them to drive. It still seems possible to find a nice old Celica for that kind of money, too, though, (Even if people are starting to notice those again, unfortunately for me, probably,)
so I wouldn't be crying if I had that choice to make.

09-26-2018, 07:56 AM - 3 Likes   #2003
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

'71 El Camino seen at a recent carshow. The flames on the side are barely visible:
09-27-2018, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #2004
Veteran Member

'71 El Camino seen at a recent carshow. The flames on the side are barely visible:
I've always kinda wanted to have an excuse to have an El Camino. I like that one. Seems to sit just right, probably has about as low of profile tires as I'd really want to go, and the yellow goes well with what I always thought was the friendliest-looking of Chevelle front end treatments. so I think that suits.
09-28-2018, 09:09 AM   #2005
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I've always kinda wanted to have an excuse to have an El Camino.
Yeah, me too. The closest I came to owning one was a '71 Ford Ranchero (even though I'm not really a Ford person . I'm kinda partial to the mid-late 60's El Caminos myself.
09-28-2018, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #2006
Pentaxian

Nice pix, triggered some memories.

. Back in the late '60's I had a '67 Camaro Coupe RS, Marina blue, 327 V8, 4 speed Muncie transmission, Firestone wide oval, red line tires (big thing back in the '60's) ...it was much like the '68 Camaro, except being a '67, it didn't have the federally mandated side marker lights like all '68's cars had. The '67 as a result had cleaner lines than the '68 IMHO.

I was 19, 20 years old and enjoyed running my 327 V8 through the gears. Didn't particularly like the Muncie shifter...inaccurate...buddy had installed a Hurst Shifter on his Nova's Muncie and what a diff..less effort, more accurate..but after getting a new Smiths Tachometer and 4 new redline tires I was broke for awhile.

I traded my Camaro RS in on a...demo '69 VW Deluxe Beetle with the 1500 cc boxer engine. Hard to believe.... maybe, but the gas MPG was significant and I got into less trouble...running my VW through the gears...then when I did the same thing in my Camaro.
10-06-2018, 11:14 AM - 4 Likes   #2007
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My brother posing with his '79 El Camino. He's a mechanic and did all the drivetrain and body/paint work himself. I'm guessing this photo was taken in the mid-90's. Scan from a print:
10-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #2008
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice looking El Camino!
10-26-2018, 05:21 PM - 2 Likes   #2009
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Turbo Porsche

Portland International Raceway, 1986.

Shot on Kodachrome, with a Ricoh XR2S, with a Vivitar 90-230mm zoom lens.

Copied with a Pentax K5IIs, and A50mm f1.7 lens with a Pentax Auto Bellows M and Slide Copier For Auto Bellows M.

12-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #2010
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Looks to be the real deal! It was beautiful! All I could think was, "this is only a three month per year car up here in Maine!"
Terrific photos! If that's the real deal, it's worth some serious money.

Jer

---------- Post added 12-16-2018 at 09:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Turbo Porsche

Portland International Raceway, 1986.

Shot on Kodachrome, with a Ricoh XR2S, with a Vivitar 90-230mm zoom lens.

Copied with a Pentax K5IIs, and A50mm f1.7 lens with a Pentax Auto Bellows M and Slide Copier For Auto Bellows M.
A wonderful blast from the past. I smiled as soon as I saw it.

Jer

---------- Post added 12-16-2018 at 09:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Fall 2019 / 2020 model year Toyota Supra Coupe / BMW Z4 Roadster co-designed small sports car coming

:.

I'm keeping my eye on this pair.

Jer