Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2007, 10:33 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photo Tramp, I agree with you. No ones age should be held against them. This used to happen all the time to me. No one thought the 10 year old kid knew anything about photography. Untill they saw the pics. Learned on dads Pentax Spotmatic with 50 1.4 lens. It was only a few years old. Told me that if I broke it I was dead. That was a lot of money to trust a 10 year old with. Studied the manual and learned photography. Before trhis I had a Kodak 126. Hated the cheap piece of junk. Hardly ever used it. Wanted a real camera. I was an under achiever at 10 compared to one kid.
My friends son was 4 years old when he started photography! He had a 110. Took better pics than many grown ups (had an exhibition at the camera shop at 4yrs old). When people would look at the pics they were amazed that a kid that age took them. With my encouragement, his dad let him use his Pentax Super Program at 5 years old. The kid would help us in the darkroom doing Cibachromes! He was a smart cookie.
It kills me when people are buying cameras for kids and they want to buy a $30 camera for a 16 year old. They don't think they will take care of it. Should they be driving a car then? Don't underestimate a young persons desire or abilities.
end of rant. Thanks for the memories.
thanks
barondla

01-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
Well, since we're outing ourselves....

I am, as of last October, the number that Douglas Adams called The Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything.
When you where born I had alredy 32 years expierence on this earth. :-)

Heinrich
01-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #18
Rak
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Photo Tramp, I agree with you. No ones age should be held against them. This used to happen all the time to me. No one thought the 10 year old kid knew anything about photography. Untill they saw the pics. Learned on dads Pentax Spotmatic with 50 1.4 lens. It was only a few years old. Told me that if I broke it I was dead. That was a lot of money to trust a 10 year old with. Studied the manual and learned photography. Before trhis I had a Kodak 126. Hated the cheap piece of junk. Hardly ever used it. Wanted a real camera. I was an under achiever at 10 compared to one kid.
My friends son was 4 years old when he started photography! He had a 110. Took better pics than many grown ups (had an exhibition at the camera shop at 4yrs old). When people would look at the pics they were amazed that a kid that age took them. With my encouragement, his dad let him use his Pentax Super Program at 5 years old. The kid would help us in the darkroom doing Cibachromes! He was a smart cookie.
It kills me when people are buying cameras for kids and they want to buy a $30 camera for a 16 year old. They don't think they will take care of it. Should they be driving a car then? Don't underestimate a young persons desire or abilities.
end of rant. Thanks for the memories.
thanks
barondla
I agree; people tend not to like the idea that young people have these types of interests because it deviates from the "norm". Even though the irwork may be good, people still won't like it if the photographer is "too young". My dad and I had a similar discussion about this -- if a student doesn't like a teacher's behavior or other personality trait, (s)he will refuse to listen to the teacher at all, regardless of how useful the teacher's information may be.

Even my dad started relatively young -- he had his own camera by age 16. I started using his Powershot S30 in 2004. He didn't trust me at all with it. A year later, and the camera was completely under my jurisdiction. Two years later, and I have my very own dSLR. Then again, I would never have imagined, even just 6 months ago, that I would be using a dSLR camera.
03-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Sorry if I am bringing back this thread from the dead (some
other forums don't like that), I used the search button though

Anyway I am 17 and I started when I was 16.

03-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #20

Well, I'm older than Rak and younger than everyone else around here. Used to it, though--when I was 10, flight simulation was my hobby and I would hang around Hovercontrol forums. Then it was computers in general, and I moved over to Gear Live (long gone dead community). Next came various Linuxes, and now I'm moving on into Photography, at least for now. Several (unpaid) events shot, and working towards setting up a small studio.

Obsession is a wonderful thing.
03-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benplaut Quote
Well, I'm older than Rak and younger than everyone else around here. Used to it, though--when I was 10, flight simulation was my hobby and I would hang around Hovercontrol forums. Then it was computers in general, and I moved over to Gear Live (long gone dead community). Next came various Linuxes, and now I'm moving on into Photography, at least for now. Several (unpaid) events shot, and working towards setting up a small studio.

Obsession is a wonderful thing.
We need an age?
03-27-2008, 04:02 PM   #22

Aww, fine. 16.

03-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benplaut Quote
Aww, fine. 16.
Not fair I wanted to be the youngest.::ugh:
03-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

even though he's not on the forum (yet), my son has you all beat. he's 3, and a damn good shot with my k110d.
03-27-2008, 04:18 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
even though he's not on the forum (yet), my son has you all beat. he's 3, and a damn good shot with my k110d.
It doesn't count. LOL
I act the youngest haha
03-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

hahaha, you're just jealous
03-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
hahaha, you're just jealous
If he's so good let see some pictures he took, tough guy.
03-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I often feel like I'm 99 and counting, but usually act like I'm 12 and getting younger

Another way to look at my age is I'm older than dirt.
Seriously

Dirt regenerates it's self every 35 years or so
03-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #29

I hate being young.. (Okay 18 isn't young but still) Older photogs always give me dirty looks like I know nothing and Im just some young idiot who doesn't know anything and walks around with a flashy camera (although my camera is far from flashy) that I dont actually own\wasn't bought with my own money... Annoying in ways but whatchagunadoaboutit?!

Thanks
03-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikhail Quote
I hate being young.. (Okay 18 isn't young but still) Older photogs always give me dirty looks like I know nothing and Im just some young idiot who doesn't know anything and walks around with a flashy camera (although my camera is far from flashy) that I dont actually own\wasn't bought with my own money... Annoying in ways but whatchagunadoaboutit?!

Thanks
I know exactly what you mean. Being 17 is even worse. By the way 18 is very young.
This reminds me of an incident. It was St. Patrick's Day Parade in NYC and
I'm with my camera past the bar with at least 5 other photographers.
After about 10 minutes this annoying cop ( I like cops) tells me it's dangerous
for me to be where I was. It was crazy because he didn't say anything
to all the other people there, like my camera wasn't big enough or I wasn't old enough.
Well I just left walk a couple blocks and was able to join the parade. Even the
cops later on didn't say a word.