Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2012, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
You guys better watch it of Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick this thread!
If he can get his 72 year old leg that high.

06-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
If he can get his 72 year old leg that high.
And his 32 year old hair.
Attached Images

06-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
What? Too ashamed to show your God given hairless skull? Ha!
06-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Now I know what a Chuck/Donald hybrid looks like.

06-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
And a 3 year old hip.
07-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Chuck's not going to get nominated for an Oscar and many disagree with his politics but don't make fun of his martial arts ability. I have worked out with several of his students and rivals from the kick boxing days. The man is a master in every sense of the word.
BTW he's got a great reverse roundhouse and the system he studied is actually far more about getting the job done than about flashy high spinning kicks seen in the movies.
07-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #22
Pentaxian

If you want a laugh, go to Google, type in Where is Chuck Norris? and follow the very first link that comes up....

07-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Chuck's not going to get nominated for an Oscar and many disagree with his politics but don't make fun of his martial arts ability. I have worked out with several of his students and rivals from the kick boxing days. The man is a master in every sense of the word.
BTW he's got a great reverse roundhouse and the system he studied is actually far more about getting the job done than about flashy high spinning kicks seen in the movies.

He does look like he was able to beat up former Senator Edwards for that hair.

(It's really too bad he had to turn himself into such a model of violent insecurity, especially since he did spend some of his career at least trying to be a positive role model. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 07-01-2012 at 10:31 PM.
07-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Is that true, today, at 72 with a hip replacement?
07-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Interestingly, even if you have arthritis, that kind of thing just isn't the first to go: you can still post all kinds of kicks even after your footwork's otherwise gone all to pot. (And he doesnt' seem to have either arthritis or muscle-weakness issues, never mind worries about bone density.) To my experience, it's really the basics that you start worrying about. I can still kick above my head long after I'm like, 'Don't notice the knees locking, opponent. Have contempt for the flourishes, there's a good boy,....'

(I posted about being exuberant to have footwork back a couple months ago, that's part of it. )

So, perfectly plausible.

Course, if people being fightey actually gave them some righteous authority to be homophobes, I wouldn't have necessarily needed to know this stuff in the first place.

*thinking back.* Well, maybe not out of *personal* necessity. It's me.

"Your bigotry is strong, face now my Tae Kwan Leep. "
07-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Actually as Miss Rat said, yes. The high kick stuff so popular in the movies comes mainly from Tae Kwon Do which relies mainly on feet and is very impressive to some but Chuck 's style is a mixed system.His early training was in Tang Soo Do which is a Moo Duk Kwan style . It emphasizes use of hands . feet and total body dynamic as a weapon. He also stuidied Gracey Jui Jitsu and Okinawan Karate neither of which rely on flying wheel kicks.
Another thing to consider is the fact that there are many things in martial arts not taught to the young sportsmen. In our school there is a vast amount of knowledge we are not permitted to share with anyone under 40 and there is alot of stuff the old Grand Masters do that I'm not even privy to. Things like healing touch and the opposite really do exist.
So in conclusion , I don't think I'd want to f--- with Chuck.

Last edited by seacapt; 07-02-2012 at 08:37 PM.
07-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Actually as Miss Rat said, yes. The high kick stuff so popular in the movies comes mainly from Tae Kwon Do which relies mainly on feet and is very impressive to some but Chuck 's style is a mixed system.His early training was in Tang Soo Do which is a Moo Duk Kwan style . It emphasizes use of hands . feet and total body dynamic as a weapon. He also stuidied Gracey Jui Jitsu and Okinawan Karate neither of which rely on flying wheel kicks.
Another thing to consider is the fact that there are many things in martial arts not taught to the young sportsmen. In our school there is a vast amount of knowledge we are not permitted to share with anyone under 40 and there is alot of stuff the old Grand Masters do that I'm not even privy to. Things like healing touch and the opposite really do exist.
So in conclusion , I don't think I'd want to f--- with Chuck.
Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if he's slow, but I don't get the impression that with his stuff, he really needs to be fast. At least if you're less than half his mass, and I forget how tall he is, he'd sure present a real problem for me these days, (Fortunately, professional martial artists aren't generally the profile of people I *worry* about, even if they're politically haters. ) If I had my old ratlike speeds, I might hope to surprise him with a little funkin' style hong kong phooey, (And you can't think this way, but I wouldn't like my chances of doing more than embarrass him, but that can help. If you're just running on a different speed than everyone else, you've got time to get creative, even cartooney. (And a lot of those fancy kicks are just bait against someone like me. By the time they realize they committed to it, I'm five paces away, doing something something really odd, removing their shoe, Gods help you if I've got a stick, etc.

But, you know. Big guys who really know what theyr'e doing are a problem, ....definitely when I was sparring, I always found it useful to be able to imitate several styles of mini-mall green belt and then watch them be surprised at sneakin' in a little burst of competence. I kind of used to have that luxury: I do consider it a pont of pride in my 'playin' Batgirl' days that I never actually had to significantly hit anyone. Of course, when it's a basher on *you,* it's for keeps, that's it. (Kind of glad I pre-scared a domestic abuser dude with a little sword demo, speaking of most problem-dudes' attitudes. He was already starting to hint he thought it was 'unfeminine' of me to have like a bokken around, (At the time I was writing it off as just kind of trivializing what it was good for. We'd had a few drinks, and I kind of was like, 'Think it's cute? Yeah, it's been said. Here's some real cute.' went out into the yard and did some forms with the brakes off, speedwise. Later realized, 'Him being scared by that was probably the first big warning sign,' and all. I did notice. )

Aaanyway I do tend to think that Chuck lind of compartmentalizes his martial arts from his homophobic craziness. Wouldn't want to be married to him or anything, cause the homophobia is usually a part of an abuser's profile, but bashers/Fundies who act on it are usually either raging or dissociated from what they're doing: they kind of have to be: from what I see of Chuck there when he's speaking oppression and stuff, he's withdrawn. Not fully in the room, whether they're in their own head, off somewhere else, or just trippin. That's where you beat em, really, usually before it comes to blows.

Sparred with one, once, when he saw us doing light padded sword drill, dude just took the heaviest one (meant to represent a claymore,) and started whipping it around like a bat, just trying to do damage. Quicker than most big guys, but clearly had lost the point of the exercise by the time he started swinging. Gave me some bruised ribs on both sides when I was raising a hand to say, 'Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold, OK, hold, every time you swing for the fences like that I could be thrusting this into your brainpan, that's a claymore, not a club....' Turned out he was after my girlfriend of the time.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 07-03-2012 at 04:30 PM.
07-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I bet Mr. Miyagi could take him.
07-04-2012, 02:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I studied a little Kung Fu back in the day. I was very inspired by a certain monk on an iconic but campy TV show as a kid, lol, but other than that I'm a down and dirty, weapons of opportunity kind of person. I prefer throwing sharp bladed objects and using sticks to using my fists or kicking anybody but ultimately I'll do what it takes. The object with me is always to avoid the fight if at all possible. If I can't? I'm not going to leave the person harassing me able to walk or see and I'm going to accomplish that in the nastiest, quickest, meanest way possible. If I can do that with a fist, fine. But if a garbage can lid or a set of keys will keep me away from their fists and do the job than a garbage can or a set of keys it is.

I'm a little woman but I've been in situations several times where I took down a guy 3X my size fairly quickly because I had to. I was in the NYC subway one time in the wee hours coming home from a job and the car emptied out. This guy grabbed me, shoved me up against a wall and felt me up. Tried to rip my tights off to no doubt do worse. There was a cop in a subway car not too far away. I let out a scream and a "MF!" and he came running but by the time he hit the car I was in the guy attacking was on the floor, bleeding, and all he had to do was cuff him and write out a report. The guy actually had the nerve to try to get the officer to book me for assault. It was hilarious. The cop couldn't believe I'd taken him down that fast.

Fact was though he just wasn't expecting it. Little thing like me he thought he was going to have it easy, but in this instance he was wrong. The best weapons you can ever possibly have are a cool head and the element of surprise. You don't have to be big or a martial artist to protect yourself. You just have to be able to keep calm and be willing to use whatever is around to do it. I am primarily a pacifist. I don't like fighting anybody and goodness forbid I should ever have to use deadly force against anyone but I'm not going to stand there and let someone rape me or kill me. They can have my wallet. I don't care about that kind of thing, but threaten me or my loved ones and I will forget my nature tends towards the peaceful and I will hurt you badly in whatever way I can manage and if I can help it you won't see it coming either.

Generally speaking I'm pretty laid back but I can be a stone cold bitch if I have to be. I don't get mad. I don't get afraid. I get even. That's just how I am made. I am actually the shortest, smallest person in my whole entire family, but I don't ever have to yell to make my point. There isn't one guy in my family, and FYI they're all over 6 foot, ex-military most of them, who doesn't back off at a dark look from me. They all know better than to tick me off. Even as a little kid they never knew what I'd do if I got really really ticked. I'd smile to their faces and later they'd end up with fire ants in their shoes or laxatives in their brownies or something like that.

Most of the time I was the sweetest little sister ever, but I was also very stubborn and incredibly creative when it came to dreaming up payback. I may be little but I can be MEAN and none of my siblings is willing to take me on when it really comes down to it. I was the same way with the bullies at school. I'd just smile and wait for the perfect moment and situation for payback. 99% of the time they never even knew I had a hand in it when the boom finally came down. Being a good fighter isn't always about who has the highest kicks or the fiercest fists. It's about using your brain not just your brawn, finding your opponent's weakness and using it to screw them.

I will give Norris credit on that score. From what I've seen of him he's no dummy. I take strong objection to his prejudice. But I won't touch criticizing his martial arts skills. I've actually watched a video of him teaching kids. He seems to get that there's far more to martial arts than fighting styles. That's why I was so surprised actually to see him spouting nonsense like he is. For a guy who comes off so centered in the dojo it just seems truly odd the way his mind works outside it.
07-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Crikey M, no good, somebody attacking you, I'm glad to hear you bested that Ar$$h0le!!!!!. But I hope I never annoy you, I'd still be checking under the bed, even tho I'm on the otherside of the planet....

cmohr
Closed Thread