Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #106

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I see you edited the post since I read it last. I'm just curious, but do you ascribe to all of the absolute statements of the current GOP? Back when I was a Republican, it seemed like both sides agreed that our system was a compromise, but one side leaned more toward protecting a certain set of interests and the other side leaned more toward protecting another set of interests. We worked together and got some decent solutions. Somewhere along the way, it seems like the GOP has taken rhetoric from Ronald Reagan (which is not even the way he governed), and deemed it the absolute, immutable truth of a Biblical nature. That is where I parted ways.
That's my point. You said it better. I'm just saying my wife, friends and family (most of them anyway) still do this. The current republicans are not doing this. Their goal is as McCain and I believe the Senate Minority leader said, their job is to remove President Obama from office and give him no cooperation. I'd say they're doing just that. The real crime is we're letting them, and the Democrats aren't screaming this loud enough.

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president," Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell told National Journal's Major Garrett in October.

Fox News' Bret Baier asked McConnell Sunday if that was still his major objective.

"Well, that is true," McConnell replied. "That's my single most important political goal, along with every active Republican in the country."

That is where the current republican loyalties lie, not with the people of America.

06-29-2012, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #107

All of this doesn't matter anyway. When was the last time you heard someone say, "I was wrong". Growing up I would occasionally hear that but not lately. Very few people have the courage anymore to do that, certainly not our 'politicians'. People aren't going to vote for an incumbent they didn't vote for the first time because they would have to admit (at least to themselves) they were wrong. God forbid, they are all WAY too smart to have ever made a mistake
06-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #108
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Despite the court ruling, there is still a chance that Republicans in Congress can repeal much of the law next year even if they don't have a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate. Because Chief Justice John Roberts ruled that the mandate to purchase health insurance—one of the key provisions of the law—was a tax, Republicans can use a procedure called "budget reconciliation" to pass a repeal bill that requires only a simple majority to pass. But this scenario relies on the Republicans' ability to win the White House, keep the majority in the House and gain enough seats in the Senate.
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal refuses to implement Obamacare despite Supreme Court ruling | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

This is an interesting wrinkle to the ruling and continued efforts to repeal it.

Round 3, Fight!!!
06-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal refuses to implement Obamacare despite Supreme Court ruling | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

This is an interesting wrinkle to the ruling and continued efforts to repeal it.

Round 3, Fight!!!
First-Person Impacts: How Obamacare Ruling Affects Americans - Yahoo! News

MAYBE you should fight the realization that the Fed doesn't have to tax.............

Conservs.. always poking at windmills..

you too have an idiot for a governor........

Over 10 years of wars where NOT ONE PENNY has been paid taught you nothing????

You too have an idiot for a governor..................

More crock and bull..........

QuoteQuote:
“Governor Romney recognizes the value of having insurance plans that cover family members until they turn 26, and fortunately the market is now making those plans available regardless of Obamacare’s requirements,” Mr. Chen said.

Mr. Romney’s aides said that if he is elected, one thing he would not do is repeat Mr. Obama’s effort to change health policy in a single sweeping bill. Instead, Mr. Romney will proceed step by step with smaller measures. Conservative Republicans in Congress also see no need to rush ahead with legislation.

“Every provision of Obamacare must be repealed, not selective parts of it,” said Representative Steve King, Republican of Iowa. “Obamacare must be ripped out completely, lock, stock and barrel, root and branch — no vestige left behind, not a DNA particle of Obamacare retained.”
It hasn't been long enough huh.........

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/30/us/politics/parsing-a-romney-alternative-t...ewanted=2&_r=1

Last edited by jeffkrol; 06-29-2012 at 02:01 PM.
06-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Just the questions on this board (which probably includes people that pay more attention than the general population) tells me the government needs to do some serious public education on this law.
06-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Just the questions on this board (which probably includes people that pay more attention than the general population) tells me the government needs to do some serious public education on this law.
Couldn't agree more!

Currently the "spin" doctors are attempting to bribe supporters (and hatred) with their misinformation and propaganda - doing their level best to get the people to vote against their own best interest as usual.
Now, for example, its a "..tax increase on the middle class.. which Obama promised never to do...".
06-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote

Round 3, Fight!!!
Gotta tell you, winning the White House, the Senate, and keeping the House is a really tall order. Don't hold your breath.

06-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
Couldn't agree more!

Currently the "spin" doctors are attempting to bribe supporters (and hatred) with their misinformation and propaganda - doing their level best to get the people to vote against their own best interest as usual.
Now, for example, its a "..tax increase on the middle class.. which Obama promised never to do...".
True. Sadly, that distortion being spread will probably have legs, too.
06-29-2012, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #114
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Best analysis I've seen on the vote:

ElectoralVote
06-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #115
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thew thing is, if you're dumb enough.. and something sounds good to you, it will sound good to other dumb people... and if there's enough dumb people they'll vote you out of office. The really sad thing is, most Republicans think the only thing they have to do is insult Obama. Then they win by default. If they spend enough time insulting Obama, no one will notice what a bunch of crackpots they are. It seems to work.
06-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #116
Veteran Member

People really aren't this dumb are they?

Anti-ObamaCare Americans threaten to move to Canada

QuoteQuote:
They're so mad, in fact, that they're theatening to move to Canada to escape socialized medicine. "I'm moving to Canada. Obviously the United States doesn't know what they are doing anymore. This used to be a great country... Pretty sad," said one user, @kclovesya, on Twitter. Another user, @MoBaby69, agreed: "This is insane. I'm moving to Canada #Obamacare."
06-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #117
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
Well, the Supreme Court declared it a tax. They said the provision was constitutionally allowed due to the fact that it was a tax (as opposed to a fine, penalty, etc)
Any spin involved on that point is going to be from the administration trying convince people that what was declared a tax by SCOTUS is actually just a free will donation.
06-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #118
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OH god , anti-Obama care people moving to Canada. We have health care supported by a tax, and then sur-tax on top of the first tax. We have restrictive gun legislation. The only way you get a license for a hand gun in Canada is if you can prove before a judge that the mafia has a hit out on you. We have over 7 % unemployment... you might not get a job. YOu can't shoot someone just because they are on your property or broke in to your house. You have to call the police and let them deal with it. Poor people for the most part have rights. There are no communities you can move to to get out of paying welfare for poor people. In Canada if a bunch of rich people move to a remote area, we incorporate it into a town 5 miles away so you still have to pay welfare costs for poor people.

I have to talk to those people, if they don't like Obama care they won't like Canada... and most Canadians won't like them. Get me their phone numbers. We need to talk. Oh and, not liking Obama care, doesn't get you points on your immigration test. Sad but true, being a dork won't get you into Canada.
06-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #119
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Supreme Court declared it both a tax (in the final decision) and not a tax (in deciding to hear the case).

I recommend the analysis I posted a link to, above.
06-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #120
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
OH god , anti-Obama care people moving to Canada. We have health care supported by a tax, and then sur-tax on top of the first tax. We have restrictive gun legislation. The only way you get a license for a hand gun in Canada is if you can prove before a judge that the mafia has a hit out on you. We have over 7 % unemployment... you might not get a job. YOu can't shoot someone just because they are on your property or broke in to your house. You have to call the police and let them deal with it. Poor people for the most part have rights. There are no communities you can move to to get out of paying welfare for poor people. In Canada if a bunch of rich people move to a remote area, we incorporate it into a town 5 miles away so you still have to pay welfare costs for poor people.

I have to talk to those people, if they don't like Obama care they won't like Canada... and most Canadians won't like them. Get me their phone numbers. We need to talk. Oh and, not liking Obama care, doesn't get you points on your immigration test. Sad but true, being a dork won't get you into Canada.

Huh? What rights do poor people NOT have in the US that rich people have?

And you know that welfare/medicaid/etc., is largely governed by states rather than localities, right?
Closed Thread