Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Explain, please.

Jason

07-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Facebook is already a great burglary tool.
If anyone ever clues in about that in the small community I live in, a lot of people are going to be in trouble. Burglars won't even need some fancy 'app'. Yes, everyone knows everyone & many don't lock their doors, but I'm astounded at what people post on the local 'buy & sell' page on facebook. Someone could come in from away & have a field day burglarizing. As long as you left town before the neighbour who saw you (everyone's nosy too) decides you seemed suspicious, you'd have a good head start on the cops.
"I'm going away for 2 weeks & need someone to look after my dog."
"I'm at work all day but you can come pick up your item after 6."
"I'm away all day but I'll leave your item inside the back door, & you can come get it whenever."
"I'm not home right now but my 10-year old is... she will show you the [whatever item they're selling]."
And so on.
Is there a dumbing-down of the population where they don't think about what they're blatting to the world? Or do they just not care that they're making themselves totally transparent & trackable? I tend to think if you're dumb enough to put all that kind of stuff on public view, then you asked for trouble.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
There are many possible stages of mobile phone usage between "switching your phone off" ... and compulsively using every spare moment of your day "diddling" with your phone ...
The 'diddling' is so annoying. I watched the customer ahead of me diddle for a few minutes at a car rental counter while I & the rental guy waited... I've watched parents with kids at the farmers' market; the parents are looking at the stuff on the table while the kids are 'diddling'. One mother asked her daughter what she thought of some item & got no response. She elbowed her daughter, fairly hard, in the ribs. The kid was so absorbed with the phone she jumped about 3 inches. She looked up, said 'uh huh' & went back to 'txtng'. I've seen people 'diddling' during meetings; then 2 kids exploring a beach, hopping over the rocks -- until one stopped, got out his phone, & 'diddled' for a minute.

Like others have said, unless you have a job where people must be able to reach you, or a sick relative, or some really good reason to be 'connected' All The Time, shut the dang thing off and interact in person!! I'm willing to bet a lot of the 'diddling' is not tremendously important conversation.
I love the sign mikemike shared. Those should be posted in many more places!
All of which digresses from the original comments. I can see the practical reasons for having information accessible across devices. The fact that it makes you traceable is a consequence, but if they've got that much information, on all their users, I wonder what are the odds that any one individual's information will actually be used irresponsibly. It seems likely to get lost in the mass of data.
I don't brain-f*rt my life onto facebook & stay away from putting much personal information online. I don't even own a cell phone, and I like my books on paper, if possible.
My 2 cents.