Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think privacy is a valid concern when your data is stored in the 'cloud'. That is, how the data is used down the line (besides providing a backup and a sharing facility between devices) is a concern. Also, it would seem that both Amazon and Google insist on collecting a profile of their users, the latter being more extensive. Currently these are (openly) used for fairly innocuous ad targeting, but the thing is that they could be used for other purposes and/or by other parties (via sale or other contract with a 3rd party, subpoena or legislation).

Amazon knows (and has to know) about your purchases and some aspects of your ebook reading. It would seem that a major part of the motivation of routing Kindle browsing trough their servers is collecting a more or less extensive profile on a customer's browsing habits: the expense of putting the system in place and the its upkeep, including the considerable bandwidth it consumes can hardly be justified by a modest speed gain in browsing. With Amazon, a saving grace might be that you are actually a paying customer so they have to mind that; with Google, though, it is worth noting that the actual paying customers (as far as we know) are the advertisers (i.e. "You are not the customer you* are the product." *your data / profile), also Google's profile on you can be far more extensive, if you allow them to tie all searches, webpages visited, emails, your data stored in the cloud and whatnot together for profiling by being logged into a Google account.

Last edited by jolepp; 07-02-2012 at 02:43 AM.
07-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Being stalked is no doubt a very devastating experience, but I'm not sure that connecting it to Amazon storing your reading habits is really productive.
If Amazon can track you anyone can track you. That's my point. We all let too much info about ourselves slide of late. We're all getting so used to everyone out there demanding it that we just give it up. I don't think it's a good thing that we just do it without thinking about it that's all. All your personal info going into the cloud it's potentially dangerous if someone gets hold of it that shouldn't.

Last edited by magkelly; 07-02-2012 at 03:09 AM.
07-02-2012, 03:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I'll give another example of people "sleeping" and letting everybody in on their private life without even hesitating:

Here in Holland the big electric companies are all updating the power-grid. Eventually, everybody will have a so called smart-meter in their house. It measures exactly how much, when en even where power is consumed. I assumed this would lead to big public unrest... But there was nothing. Not even a discussion. Everybody seems to be very happy with the 'improvement'. Especially since there will be a free app with which you can monitor your power consumption from your smartphone.

Nobody seems to care that this technology will help the modern burglar extremely efficient. Let me exaggerate a little to prove my point: No power consumption for more then 3 days equals holiday. If it's around the same time as last year, the chance that it's a holiday increases. Maybe a burglar-app can be created that has integrated maps, so a burglar could just scan for the nearest empty house with the family on holiday? And with all the data that's collected elsewhere, the app could even filter on who has the neatest stuff in their house.

And what about plain old identity theft? Doesn't that become hysterically easy when all your life's details are online.
07-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaytee Quote
magkelly, I really don't mean to be rude here but you are being excessively and ridiculously paranoid.
Then why did you say it that way?
For future reference, anything you have to preface with a pseudo apology is maybe something that shouldn't be posted.

07-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Wait until your child uses your computer to go to amazon's home page and they have an "Inspired by your reading" list that looks at what sections of Fifty Shades of Grey your reading and suggests ball gags and nipple clamps.
07-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member

"Okay, and I'll bet you walk around with your cell phones on 24/7 too? Might as well be wearing a tracking collar"

Um, yes I do. Isn't that the point of having a mobile phone? I certainly dont leave it at the office at the end of the day or leave it something else when visiting the local pub. If someone wants to track me, knock yourself out.

Jason
07-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Nobody seems to care that this technology will help the modern burglar extremely efficient.
Facebook is already a great burglary tool. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/11/burglary-ring-targets-fac_n_712629.html

07-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Exactly. My family shares an Amazon account. A couple of years ago I looked up that office chair pad thing that they made that does shiatsu massage? The next time my parents went on Amazon to look at something some of the suggestions were rather more adult oriented. Had they been prudish types likely it would have made them blush. As it is my brothers have yet to cease teasing me with jokes about checking out "sex toys" on Amazon. Actually I wasn't, though I really wouldn't have trouble admitting it if I had, but in this case it was just the darned shiatsu chair thing I was after. I saw it at Walgreens, tried it, liked it and wanted to know if maybe I could afford it better on Amazon. But search up massager on Amazon and it can lead to some pretty interesting ads being displayed on Amazon. Is that something I want my little nieces or my nephew to see when we are looking up toys? Not really, laugh. You can delete your searches and that will hopefully avoid stuff like that happening but it's a lot of work and I don't always remember to do that. The idea that Amazon tracks all the stuff I search and gears ads towards what they think I want has never been a thing I am particularly fond of. I think it's just too nosy all those tracking cookies and lists....
07-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
"Okay, and I'll bet you walk around with your cell phones on 24/7 too? Might as well be wearing a tracking collar"

Um, yes I do. Isn't that the point of having a mobile phone? I certainly dont leave it at the office at the end of the day or leave it something else when visiting the local pub. If someone wants to track me, knock yourself out.

Jason
You can turn if off between calls you know and check it once in a while. Or is it absolutely necessary that you be available 24/7? Unless you're a doctor or have a very sick relative or something I don't see the need to let yourself be tracked like that. I'm not so yeah, I turn it off most of the time. I'm just not available 24/7. I used to be. Work, I was always there, always reachable, until one day I realized I had practically no life of my own anymore. I mean think about it. You're at the local pub. You're having a drink or two, saying "hi" to a few friends, trying to relax at the end of the day. Isn't it nicer when you can sans the phone ringing or texting you?

The owner of my last store she used to call me 25 times a day some days whether or not I was even on the clock. It used to annoy the crap out of me. She cost me $500 in phone bills one month. I finally had to put my foot down and tell her I was turning the thing off or she could pay for it. My cell is always in my purse. It's there in case I need it but it's off unless I am making a call or expecting one I need to take. I just prefer the peace and quiet to constantly being interrupted and being constantly on call.

My brothers have smart phones. Last year or so I can't even stand to take a meal with them. They will not put the darned things down. If they're not taking calls they're texting on them. It's like an addiction and it's sad to watch....
07-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
......My brothers have smart phones. Last year or so I can't even stand to take a meal with them. They will not put the darned things down. If they're not taking calls they're texting on them. It's like an addiction and it's sad to watch....
Absolutely its a modern day addiction, except addicts don't see it that way and are able to rationalize their addiction in many verbally clever ways - even on this forum!

See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/154964-cell-phone-addiction.html
07-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Then why did you say it that way?
For future reference, anything you have to preface with a pseudo apology is maybe something that shouldn't be posted.
Learn from me, don't apologize in advance, just be rude and be shipped off to purgatory for it.
07-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #27
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

07-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #28
Inactive Account

The Consumerist
07-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
You can turn if off between calls you know and check it once in a while. Or is it absolutely necessary that you be available 24/7? Unless you're a doctor or have a very sick relative or something I don't see the need to let yourself be tracked like that. I'm not so yeah, I turn it off most of the time. I'm just not available 24/7. I used to be. Work, I was always there, always reachable, until one day I realized I had practically no life of my own anymore. I mean think about it. You're at the local pub. You're having a drink or two, saying "hi" to a few friends, trying to relax at the end of the day. Isn't it nicer when you can sans the phone ringing or texting you?

The owner of my last store she used to call me 25 times a day some days whether or not I was even on the clock. It used to annoy the crap out of me. She cost me $500 in phone bills one month. I finally had to put my foot down and tell her I was turning the thing off or she could pay for it. My cell is always in my purse. It's there in case I need it but it's off unless I am making a call or expecting one I need to take. I just prefer the peace and quiet to constantly being interrupted and being constantly on call.

My brothers have smart phones. Last year or so I can't even stand to take a meal with them. They will not put the darned things down. If they're not taking calls they're texting on them. It's like an addiction and it's sad to watch....
Do you turn your computer off each time you step away from it? No, I am not a doctor and thankfully no sick relatives, but the business I am in dictates I be available via phone as well as the contacts in my life know how to get a hold of me since I spend about 75% of my life on the road. I guess they could just hone in on my tracking collar, sounds much easier. I bet most people who work a 9-5 dont turn their phones off each time they are placing a call either. Realistically speaking, it makes pretty much no sense to have a mobile phone which you keep switched off almost all of the time. Worrying about being tracked makes even less sense unless you work for the CIA.

Jason
07-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Do you turn your computer off each time you step away from it? No, I am not a doctor and thankfully no sick relatives, but the business I am in dictates I be available via phone as well as the contacts in my life know how to get a hold of me since I spend about 75% of my life on the road. I guess they could just hone in on my tracking collar, sounds much easier. I bet most people who work a 9-5 dont turn their phones off each time they are placing a call either. Realistically speaking, it makes pretty much no sense to have a mobile phone which you keep switched off almost all of the time. Worrying about being tracked makes even less sense unless you work for the CIA.

Jason
Jason, you are doing exactly what I mentioned in my post above yours, namely rationalizing.

There are many possible stages of mobile phone usage between "switching your phone off" every time you finish a conversation and compulsively using every spare moment of your day "diddling" with your phone regardless as to whether you may also be driving at the same time (or not) or walking towards a fountain in the mall!

Last edited by stevewig; 07-02-2012 at 09:49 AM.