Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Apple itunes fraud - 866-712-7753 CA

I took a look at my online credit card statement this morning and discovered a charge of 40.00 from the above mentioned name and phone number. A quick google search proved that not only was this a fraud, it's a fraud that has been going on for nearly 4 years or more. I don't do itunes, so I knew this was not mine. Wouldn't you think that after this much time, someone could have fixed this problem by now? I'm getting so tired of canceling one card and receiving another just to keep a couple steps ahead of the crooks, that I'm thinking of getting rid of them all together.

Larry

07-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You don't have to cancel the cards, you just have to call the number shown on your card and tell them the problem and they will possibly block out the crooks and give you a refund.
07-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're probably right, but it seems that the fraud is being used for purchases other than from the itune store. I have my cc stored at a few places which any one of them could be the culprit, so I feel more comfortable starting with a clean slate.
07-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Happened to my sister in Mexico, a few months after coming back from vacation someone sold her CC info using RFID and the perpetrator charged 5,000 USD. RFID readers take your CC number, security code on the back of your card, and your name and expiration date.

07-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can defeat the RFID readers by putting a sheet of aluminium foil in your wallet, folded over the cards. You cannot defeat all the crooks, but at least the walk by with laptop thieves lose out. I'm waiting for someone to come up with a special card that has an RFID on it that will wipe their laptop completely when they try to read it on the way by.
07-05-2012, 02:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I had a card hacked about 18 mo ago, they started with small amounts around $40 on Apple stores.
The bank refunded my claim.
I think the start was when I used the card for a payment on Australian site.

I later ran a tcpick trace when while on that site and another one in Australia and my keystrokes and the site responses were in plain Ascii!
The https was not being used properly by whoever set up those sites.

Anyway I recently heard on NPR news that an international group had been arrested, mentioning Australia and Apple stores, and I wondered if it was the same scam as I had.