Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Lets not get these guys confused with 47th STREET PHOTO (I am admitting that I did when I saw the thread title). I have never ordered from 42nd, I order 80% B&H and the other 20% 47th and never had an issue with either.

Edit:

I think you may also have gotten the 2 confused, I don't think 42nd has been around that long, or have they? 47th has been around for a longgggg time...
They say they've been in business for 40 years...

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
What you describe is 42nd Street's standard operating procedure nowadays, based on my experience with them. They don't have much profit margin on the camera and lens because of competition among retailers, so they try to sell you rock-bottom quality filters, batteries, etc. at an inflated price. Even at their lowest, final offer price on those accessories, they are still making money. It is all perfectly legal. Howerver, I still won't give them repeat business because my time is too precious to be wasted on reasserting that I don't want anything more than I originally ordered.
I know the local shop wants over $1,300 for just the camera and lens. I like to support the local shops, but a $400 price difference is tough to swallow. Maybe I should have just bought the camera body and lens kit and got everything else locally.

This is the website they directed me to for the filters: Precision Ultra

Last edited by jtkratzer; 07-13-2012 at 06:38 PM.
07-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
They say they've been in business for 40 years..
That is a while...
07-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I feel like an a** that all my posts here so far are complaining about this purchase. I've been lurking for a bit trying to read as much as I can to get spun up on the DSLR world. Most of my newb questions are answered without posting, but I figured this was something worth sharing.

Last edited by jtkratzer; 07-13-2012 at 06:38 PM.
07-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Interesting that you have to go to page 111 out of 120 to get below a 4 star rating.

Seems fishy that there are that many 4+ star ratings when more than a handful have had miserable experiences.

I feel like an a** that all my posts here so far are complaining about this purchase. I've been lurking for a bit trying to read as much as I can to get spun up on the DSLR world. Most of my newb questions are answered without posting, but I figured this was something worth sharing.
because in their downtime employees flood it with fake ratings. standard practice at the sub standard retailers.

As for the local shop wanting 1300 for the camera and lens is that due to taxes? they should be the same price on the camera lens or be willing to match (taxes being a separate issue that has really damaged the US B&M business)

07-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
because in their downtime employees flood it with fake ratings. standard practice at the sub standard retailers.

As for the local shop wanting 1300 for the camera and lens is that due to taxes? they should be the same price on the camera lens or be willing to match (taxes being a separate issue that has really damaged the US B&M business)
They wanted over $1,300 for the body and 18-55mm lens that comes with the kit, plus tax on top of that. They were the only B&M store locally that carried it in their store.

Last edited by jtkratzer; 07-13-2012 at 06:39 PM.
07-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting that you have to go to page 111 out of 120 to get below a 4 star rating.

Seems fishy that there are that many 4+ star ratings when more than a handful have had miserable experiences.

Actually, I found a 3 star rating on page 2.

I really have very little idea about them, I've made maybe 2 or 3 small purchases from them over the years, just little items, though. And it was done online, so I never had to interact with a rep.

Thanks for contacting Pentax about it, that helps us all.
07-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
6 reviews of 4 or more stars, 9 at 1 star.
42nd Street Photo - Midtown West - New York, NY

The last post about the Pentax sale going down the tubes apparently cost Pentax business. I wonder how many times this has happened:
Opinions on 42nd street photo needed - Digital Camera Forum

More of the same:
9 Complaints and Reviews about 42nd Street Photo

Has anyone bought from 42nd Street Photo before?: Sony Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

42ND St Photo Complaints, Reviews - Bad service

EDIT: I sent Jonathan these links on July 13th as feedback.

Last edited by jtkratzer; 07-13-2012 at 06:39 PM.
07-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Actually, I found a 3 star rating on page 2.

I really have very little idea about them, I've made maybe 2 or 3 small purchases from them over the years, just little items, though. And it was done online, so I never had to interact with a rep.

Thanks for contacting Pentax about it, that helps us all.
I sorted by rating, high to low, and it took going all the way back to find them. It's been written elsewhere they are writing the reviews, and if you look at a lot of them, the reviews are written on the same day the account is registered and it's the only review that account has written. Seems sketchy.

Pentax rep said she could do anything other than the conversation was recorded and would be forwarded.

I also asked about the warranty card in a chat with a different Pentax rep and he said they don't ship with one, just the serial number and your invoice showing date of purchase is good for the warranty.

Last edited by jtkratzer; 07-13-2012 at 06:40 PM.
07-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't imagine Pentax can do anything for you specifically - they can revoke the store's title as an Authorized Pentax Dealer if that store gets enough bad press.
07-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I don't imagine Pentax can do anything for you specifically - they can revoke the store's title as an Authorized Pentax Dealer if that store gets enough bad press.
I didn't think there would be anything Pentax would do for me. I didn't expect them to. I expect them to consider the serious nature of the types of complaints across the web.

Last edited by jtkratzer; 07-13-2012 at 06:41 PM.
07-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I also asked about the warranty card in a chat with a different Pentax rep and he said they don't ship with one, just the serial number and your invoice showing date of purchase is good for the warranty.
Yep, that is the way Pentax USA does it. AFAIK all other Pentax divisions do (Warranty varies by country as well, Canada has a 2 year, and it comes with a card and the international -1 year-warranty card here as well)
07-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What's terrible is that the K-5 will definitely need warranty. I've never seen a Pentax body with so much problems from different people, specifically shutter problems on the K-5. Just update your firmware to the latest and see if everything works fine. 42nd St. Photo trying to sell you BS 5 year warranty is just outrageous.
07-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #28
Veteran Member

They wanted over $1,300 for the body and 18-55mm lens that comes with the kit, plus tax on top of that. They were the only B&M store locally that carried it in their store.
Was this a K5 I assume? You would think he would match the 1035 price at BH photo with the lens. the Pentax store is only 1249 so at 1300 he was above msrp
07-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Covered in my updated original thread.

Last edited by jtkratzer; 07-13-2012 at 06:42 PM.
07-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Was this a K5 I assume? You would think he would match the 1035 price at BH photo with the lens. the Pentax store is only 1249 so at 1300 he was above msrp
Yes, K-5. I never bothered to ask. I'll look into that in the future. I wasn't excited about this shop when they told me they have to order a minimum of $1,500 worth of stuff to get it from their Pentax rep. They didn't stock any Pentax brand lenses, so if I wanted something that wasn't that much money, I'd have to wait until they piggy backed with someone else or if the shop needed to order some bodies or point and shoots.

I guess that's the life of Pentax ownership when you don't live within commuting distance of B&H or the like.