Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2012, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
O(MG) Canada

Why do you love asbestos so?

QuoteQuote:
If we didn’t have a mine, there wouldn’t be a city – there would be nothing. This place is full of old retired folks who used to work in Jeffrey, and all the young people have had to go elsewhere to find a job. So it will be great to get a new generation into those mines.

Yes indeed, a new generation of workers who may well get asbestosis, mesothelioma and lung cancer. But hey, it pays C$16 per hour and Canada has universal health care.
Government of Quebec Gives $58 Million To Reopen Closed Asbestos Mine : TreeHugger

07-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
While this is indeed shame on Canada - no excuses possible, USA also does not have clean hands:

Eric Stevenson: Canada, U.S. shouldn?t be exporting asbestos | Vancouver, Canada | Straight.com

QuoteQuote:
While many developed nations have banned or at least severely restricted the use of asbestos in manufacturing and other industries, the dangerous mineral continues to be a serious health hazard in many Asian countries, particularly India. According to a 2009 U.S. Geological Survey report, India was the second-largest consumer of asbestos, behind only China, using 340,544 tonnes of the material. And, unfortunately, that rate of use continues to grow. Even more alarming, much of their asbestos use can be attributed to the exporting of the product by both Canadian and American companies.

While the U.S. doesn’t directly export these materials, it sends over many ships to be destroyed by the ship-breaking industry, which is massive in places like India and Bangladesh. Many of the ships used throughout the 1900s in the U.S. are laden with asbestos.
07-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
While this is indeed shame on Canada - no excuses possible, USA also does not have clean hands:
This isn't a Canada vs. US thing. We know asbestos is a dirty killer, we know exactly what we are exporting, and we are selling death, in no uncertain terms.
Personally, I think Quebec should be facing international sanctions right now, as well as being cut off from Federal Transfer payments until they shut down their asbestos mines and stop selling the stuff to unsuspecting people.
07-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
There is a world of difference between dealing with the genie that is already out of the bottle and doing ship-breaking or building remediation and the government forcing a closed mine to reopen and getting new product out of the ground. We deal with building remediation here, and it is incredibly expensive, there is a giant hospital here that was built in the 1930s that would take close to a billion dollars to renovate due in large part to asbestos. I imagine a tanker ship would cost a similar amount to ship break in the US or any first world country. I don't know if it is more environmentally friendly to simply scuttle ships with asbestos (fish don't have lungs, right) or to ship break them and if it is more environmentally friendly to do the ship breaking, is it economical to due so in a place with cheap labor by introducing first world safety standards for handling the product.

Regardless of the best way to dispose of those ships, it is hard for the US or any country to really regulate shipping because any attempt to legislate a ban on sending a ship with asbestos to be broken in India could be outrun by the ships owner reflagging the ship and selling it to a shell company in Panama, Mongolia, or some other convenient country that doesn't give a damn. The most practical solution I can think of would be lobbying India to improve their worker safety.

07-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This isn't a Canada vs. US thing. We know asbestos is a dirty killer, we know exactly what we are exporting, and we are selling death, in no uncertain terms.
Personally, I think Quebec should be facing international sanctions right now, as well as being cut off from Federal Transfer payments until they shut down their asbestos mines and stop selling the stuff to unsuspecting people.
Agreed, and a lot of Quebecers feel the same. from the ones I know anyway. this really was the most idiotic thing the Quebec government has done in a long time.
Asbestos has a long history in Quebec though, and the '49 strike was a driving force for the beginning of the quiet revolution. Maybe the government thought that gives it a free pass.
07-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Better sick and w/ money than healthy and broke.. which does not help the "free market"......SNARK..
07-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Cutting off Quebec from federal transfers would be a totally wrong tact to take for several reasons 1) it is legal to export asbestos and that is a federal responsiblity 2) federal governments have suported the asbestos industry and 3) not the right forum for this action as perhaps Alberta should not get any transfer due to the oil sands OH wait we are a net contributor hence we can do as we please.

The Federal government knows fully well what the dangers of asbestos is. Part of my job is to manage asbestos in a federal facility and am bound by both federal and provincial laws. The federal government claims that although it is a health threat here the standards for workers in the third world are strict enough that the workers are protected. That is what they have claimed, I am not saying I agree with it even 0.0001%.

Canada, not Quebec should simply come up with an almost 100% ban on the mining of asbestos. There are still some uses that the small danger in its use (not the mining but the use) are more than made up by its benefit. But it is in the realm of international trade and it is up to the Federal government to regulate it not the province of Quebec.
07-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would post of photo of a man who was dying from asbestosis if I could ... he worked there: Open Pit Asbestos Mine at Thetford Mines | Atlas Obscura | Curious and Wondrous Travel Destinations for many, many years.

You have to meet someone afflicted with this terrible disease and then decide if you want these mines to re-open.

I personally took care of this person.

JP

07-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I would post of photo of a man who was dying from asbestosis if I could ... he worked there: Open Pit Asbestos Mine at Thetford Mines | Atlas Obscura | Curious and Wondrous Travel Destinations for many, many years.

You have to meet someone afflicted with this terrible disease and then decide if you want these mines to re-open.

I personally took care of this person.

JP
there was d*mn good reasons for the strike of '49 the workers were abused badly, and many died from asbestos related disease in a large part due to how the mines were run
07-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Cutting off Quebec from federal transfers would be a totally wrong tact to take for several reasons 1) it is legal to export asbestos and that is a federal responsiblity 2) federal governments have suported the asbestos industry and 3) not the right forum for this action as perhaps Alberta should not get any transfer due to the oil sands OH wait we are a net contributor hence we can do as we please.

The Federal government knows fully well what the dangers of asbestos is. Part of my job is to manage asbestos in a federal facility and am bound by both federal and provincial laws. The federal government claims that although it is a health threat here the standards for workers in the third world are strict enough that the workers are protected. That is what they have claimed, I am not saying I agree with it even 0.0001%.

Canada, not Quebec should simply come up with an almost 100% ban on the mining of asbestos. There are still some uses that the small danger in its use (not the mining but the use) are more than made up by its benefit. But it is in the realm of international trade and it is up to the Federal government to regulate it not the province of Quebec.
Quebec could take the lead here......
It's not like as if harper's government would ever get in the way of anything that would make a dime.