Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
what is this tool called?

my English is limited..
I want to buy this, but I need the english name of it...
it is for product shoot.
put it under product that add reflection to the surface

Last edited by liukaitc; 06-02-2013 at 12:04 PM.
07-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks as if you're holding a biece of acrylic plastic sheet. There are various varieties, and a specific brand is named "Plexiglas." It doesn't shatter as easily as glass, but it does make sharply pointed pieces when it breaks. You can purchase it in a variety of sizes and thicknesses. Here in the US, it can be found at home improvement stores as a replacement for glass. I've seen sheets as large as about 1.25 x 2.50 m, but it can be expensive. And it does scratch, which affects the reflective quality.
07-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think they use that to put it in front of the lens (At least I've seen small square-ish ones that attach to the very front of the lens element), I have no idea what it's called.
07-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jford Quote
It looks as if you're holding a biece of acrylic plastic sheet. There are various varieties, and a specific brand is named "Plexiglas." It doesn't shatter as easily as glass, but it does make sharply pointed pieces when it breaks. You can purchase it in a variety of sizes and thicknesses. Here in the US, it can be found at home improvement stores as a replacement for glass. I've seen sheets as large as about 1.25 x 2.50 m, but it can be expensive. And it does scratch, which affects the reflective quality.
so can I get it at home depot?

07-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
so can I get it at home depot?

You can buy some form or brand of it at HomeDepot. It might be called plexiglass, Lexan, or just acrylic. It should be in the hardware isle. They sell sheets and cut to measure pieces here. It is sold in various thickness approximately 1/16, 1/8, 3/16 on 1/4 inch. The really thin 1/16 stuff bends very easily and is not suitable for larger pieces.
07-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks!!
07-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Is it glass, or a simple sheet of perspex? Either will do the job, I daresay, but perspex will be lighter, cheaper and less prone to shatter. HTH.

07-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try to get the poly-carbonate or Lexan, it will cost little more but is lot more robust. "McMaster-Carr" is a good source, not really cheap thoughwww.mcmaster.com/#=polycarbonate-sheets/=ib6j6n
07-07-2012, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm going to hell... I saw the pic and immediately thought "That Tool's name is Scott Kelby"

But yes, both Home Depot and Lowe's carry 1/8" thick Lexan sheets. One word of caution - do not drop on its edge as they do shatter this way rather easily.
07-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to beat a dead horse a little more, here's a link with a reasonable comparison of acrylic (Plexiglas) and polycarbonate (Lexan) plastics.

Comparison of Lexan to Plexiglas

I seem to remember someone recommending a large sheet to place on top of that portion of a paper background on the floor - gave a sheen and protected the paper from footprints.
07-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jford Quote
Just to beat a dead horse a little more, here's a link with a reasonable comparison of acrylic (Plexiglas) and polycarbonate (Lexan) plastics.

Comparison of Lexan to Plexiglas

I seem to remember someone recommending a large sheet to place on top of that portion of a paper background on the floor - gave a sheen and protected the paper from footprints.
haha..thanks..looks like Acrylic (Plexiglas) is the one to go...