Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What holds me back

I love pretty much everything that comes out from Pentax, but there are always a few deal breakers that prevent me from pulling the trigger. The deal breakers might be small, but they are there. What is interesting is that with each camera release, there is a period of time where I could "recover' and get ready for the next camera. As a Pentaxian, I get excited, get ready to buy, and then - poof.

Alas, here are my deal breakers.

Pentax Q

1) Without a Pentax K to Q adapter I can't seem to get excited about one. Sure there are aftermarket adapters out there, but my experience is that Pentax adapters are the best. Until I see the Pentax version, I won't indulge in a Q.

Pentax K-01

1) No HDMI out in video.
2) The flimsy rubber door.

Pentax K-30

1) Without a Mic input jack or HDMI out in video, I can't see buying it. So close with that one!

Pentax 645D

1) Too expensive especially since I only have older 645 lenses.

In contrast, the Pentax K-5; I have two of them and they are just about perfect.

They hit all the right spots as photographic tools. I could see myself owning a few more.

07-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What holds me back is not having a bunch of money to spend on toys and not having serious clients to sponsor my equipment!
Beyond that, any machine has its uses and its limitations. Great that the K-5 is so perfect for you
Too bad Pentax makes products according to what they find will be good business and not according to what us fanboys would like to see
07-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
What holds me back is not having a bunch of money to spend on toys and not having serious clients to sponsor my equipment!
Beyond that, any machine has its uses and its limitations. Great that the K-5 is so perfect for you
Too bad Pentax makes products according to what they find will be good business and not according to what us fanboys would like to see
Lol. Well, with no kids and hardly any other hobbies/passions, Pentax life tends to grab my extra money.
07-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

extra money what the hell is that in this day and age? between the wife and kids who has extra money today?

07-11-2012, 03:25 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Honestly, Lauren, you are a "flagship" user. You are someone who wants top end bodies and lenses and won't be satisfied with lower end gear, even if you could still get great photos/video with lower end equipment.

I understand -- I am interested in seeing what the K5 sequel will look like. The other bodies just don't have a lot of appeal. It is possible that a K-01 sequel with EVF, better specs would interest me some, but as of right now, I like my optical viewfinders pretty well.
07-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Honestly, Lauren, you are a "flagship" user. You are someone who wants top end bodies and lenses and won't be satisfied with lower end gear, even if you could still get great photos/video with lower end equipment.

I understand -- I am interested in seeing what the K5 sequel will look like. The other bodies just don't have a lot of appeal. It is possible that a K-01 sequel with EVF, better specs would interest me some, but as of right now, I like my optical viewfinders pretty well.
Hmmm...flagship user. Thanks for the compliment. I don't really see myself as such. I see myself as an enthusiast, that once in a while gets paid for that enthusiasm.

When I use a camera, I never know what is going to happen. I don't know if there is going to be some action/video or other aspect that screams "still image". I like being prepared when I am out and about. That sums it up. I like being prepared.

I like my equipment to compliment each other so there are no gaps in being prepared.

When Pentax makes a camera with innovative features, I don't understand why they don't include the feature in other models? It's like Pentax is not sure of the need for a feature in the first place. Not including a feature means that I can't rely or be dynamic in which cameras go with me when I am out and about.

In my original post, all the cameras mentioned had a feature that was "left" out. Granted, the 645D is "out" on price alone, but the other three, could easily have included things that would have made me purchase them to compliment what I already own. I could have bought them to increase my "preparedness".

Instead, having another K5 only increases my "redundancy".

The Q, K-01,K-30 each has some aspect that could help with being prepared, but ultimately fall "just short" of making it into my kit.