Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paypal - No Buyer Protection for Marketplace

Paypal offers no buyer protection at all on purchases on the Pentax marketplace. Its just a waste of money to use Paypal at all here, Paypal makes money off you at every turn - on exchange rates, fees etc., they are only useful for ebay transactions or some shopping sites that have a shopping cart checkout procedure AND are covered by the Paypal Buyer protection scheme:

To quote, Paypal's Buyer Protection conditions:

What must I to do to be protected?

If you don't receive an item you've purchased or the item is significantly not as described, you could be eligible for PayPal's Buyer Protection. Here are some of the things you need to be eligible:
  • Buy physical items that can be shipped (the policy excludes vehicles such as cars, caravans and boats).
  • Pay for your item with PayPal at an appropriate checkout. During the checkout process, you'll be advised if the checkout is eligible for Buyer Protection.
  • Pay for your item in a single payment. Items purchased with multiple payments (like a deposit followed by a final payment) don't qualify.
  • Raise a dispute within 45 days of payment. You will need a PayPal account to do this. You can sign up for one at the same time as lodging your dispute.

07-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes..
07-10-2012, 11:40 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Paypal agreement section on this topic reads as follows:
13.2 Eligibility Requirements.
  1. To be eligible for PayPal Purchase Protection you must meet all of the following requirements:
    • Pay for the eligible item from your Account.
    • Pay for the full amount of the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments – like a deposit followed by a final payment – are not eligible.
    • Send the payment to the Seller through:
      • the eBay “Pay Now” button or the eBay invoice; or
      • the “Send Money” button of your Account by selecting “eBay Item” and entering your eBay User ID and the eBay item number for purchases on eBay website; or
      • the Send Money tab on the PayPal website, by clicking the “Purchase” tab, or by selecting the “Checkout with PayPal” button or otherwise selecting PayPal as part of a Seller’s checkout flow.
    • Open a Dispute within 45 Days of the date you sent the payment, then follow the online dispute resolution process described below under Dispute Resolution. For Pay After Delivery transactions you must open your Dispute within 45 Days of the date of your transaction. For PayPal Grace Period transactions, you must open your Dispute within 60 Days of receiving your email transaction statement.
    • Have an Account in good standing.
I interpret this to mean that the items I pay for using the method below qualifies them for purchase protection.

Last edited by crewl1; 11-25-2013 at 10:34 AM.
07-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Anecdotal evidence would suggest otherwise -- several people have claimed that PayPal *did* protect them in transactions here. If you use the gift payment, forget it.

07-11-2012, 03:14 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Anecdotal evidence would suggest otherwise -- several people have claimed that PayPal *did* protect them in transactions here. If you use the gift payment, forget it.
Right. The "gift" option gets rid of paypal fees, but then you have no recourse if buyer/seller have issues.
07-11-2012, 03:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Right. The "gift" option gets rid of paypal fees, but then you have no recourse if buyer/seller have issues.
Sellers often ask for gift, but they are crazy. All the buyer has to do is claim they didn't authorize the transaction (after receiving item) and *poof* there goes the payment, and since it was a gift (you weren't selling anything according to the transaction) then you've got nothing to complain about. When I sell stuff, I make a PayPal invoice and send that to the buyer to pay so it is very clear what is being sold.
07-11-2012, 04:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The PayPal invoice is a good idea.

07-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I've done maybe 8-10 deals here. So far have not had any problems. Pentaxians are generally very good to deal with. (I refuse to do the gift scam though.)
07-11-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you don't use PayPal, how do you pay? I use PayPal because the convenience beats the hell out of any other method, I don't have to show financial info to anyone, I get an instantaneous record of the transaction and I get protection. I've walked away from sales rather than use another method of payment.
07-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you buy physical items, you ARE elibible for buyer protection here as far as I'm aware. In extreme circumstances, people have filed claims and gotten their money back.

As much as their fees suck (and you can't really get around them for electronic payments unless you do a direct bank transfer), paypal's fees are much lower than those of credit card networks.
07-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bank transfer (in response to Dan).

I suspect Paypal rules vary depending on the law of the land.
07-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
The PayPal invoice is a good idea.
+1 on this
07-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #13
Banned

Photos: Albums
I'll be starting a thread on this one sometime soon in the near future. But one would be suprised at how people make the mistake of also trusting the internet in general - when in fact they should not.

Cases in point... WiFi settings. For instance it would be best for most people not to use any type of public WiFi; unless they have appropriate programs to be able to do so to enhance their security. Even for people that are home users one should only use WiFi N (until 802.11a/c comes along) and also only with items such as WPA2-PSK.

Anything that is not WiFi N is incredibly easy to intercept and hack. One could evne hack it using publicly available free "tools" in minutes. With paid tools - less than one minute. Even encryption such as psk does not fully guarantee protection and privacy - it just enhances it. I've seen many peoples (and even corporations) accounts cleaned out over the internet
07-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I've done over 20 transactions in the Marketplace with no problems.................I use PayPal because of the easy way to pay or be paid; the fees are the cost of making a safe transaction.

I feel pretty secure that there a no (or very few) scammers/crooks here..................I take a look at their "feedback" numbers to see if they have been around awhile and then move forward.............I certainly don't want to get into bank transfers.
my .02
Dave
07-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What I dont get is why everyone trusts PayPal. I have never seen a PayPal office or seen a Paypal employee in real life.