Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Heck froze over.. Fox news article:

If Romney vetted himself, his tax returns would KO shot at White House

Read more: If Romney vetted himself, his tax returns would KO shot at White House | Fox News

QuoteQuote:
But behind the closed doors of campaigns, where the vice presidential vetting process takes place, stonewalling is not an option.

How many years of tax returns do you think Romney has asked to see from his vice presidential prospects?

The answer, of course, is more than one.

And what do you think would be a VP prospects’ chance of being picked if, when asked for more than one year of tax returns, they told the Romney campaign: "none of your business?"

That answer is less than zero.

A single year’s tax return, after all, doesn’t give us much of a picture of a candidate. As Mitt Romney's father famously said when he released twelve years of his tax returns when he ran for the GOP nomination in 1968: “One year could be a fluke, perhaps done for show.”

But unfortunately for Mitt Romney, the show put on by the one tax return he has released is getting terrible reviews, because that single tax returns raises a number of questions that Democrats and the media aren’t going to stop asking between now and November.

For example, why did Romney invest more than $30 million in places like the Cayman Islands and Bermuda, which are well known as foreign tax havens?

If he hasn’t been trying to avoid taxes, then why have a Swiss bank account?

And if he has nothing to hide, then why is he the only presidential nominee in 30 years to release only a single year of tax returns?

After all, it’s not as though Mitt Romney can’t find his other tax returns.

Just four years ago, Mitt Romney gave the McCain campaign 23 years of tax returns -- and didn't get picked for the VP slot.

John McCain knows why he didn't pick Mitt Romney in 2008. And he may know many of the answers to the questions raised by the release of Mitt Romney’s single tax return in 2012.

The question for voters is: why don't we?

07-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Joe Trippi (the writer of the article) should be looking for a new job
07-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Murdoch doesn't like Romney.
07-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

All sniping aside this may hurt him badly. People don't like it when a presidential candidate ducks those questions. When you run for office like it or not all that gets scrutinized and he's been resistant to showing any of his financial statements. Between that and the job outsourcing thing I'd say his chances are getting slimmer and slimmer...

07-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

#Romneysnotarealconservative
07-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Inactive Account

If you read the attached you will know much more about Romney that 95%% of the USA knows today about Obama's back ground. Perhaps 50% don't know who the sitting VP is.

Mitt Romney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

INEPTOCRACY (in-ep-toc'-Ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
07-11-2012, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like the Wikipedians haven't found any info on Romney's off-shore accounts & Swiss Bank accounts, either.

Huh.

07-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Looks like the Wikipedians haven't found any info on Romney's off-shore accounts & Swiss Bank accounts, either.

Huh.
rofl
07-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

July seems too early

I absolutely knew this would come up, and be huge, but what surprises me is that the Democrats pulled it out of their pocket now instead of waiting until September or October.

EDIT: One very possible explanation that just occurred to me - they want to slow the flow of big-donor money. A candidate that looks mortally wounded is going to start seeing the cash flow dry up a bit... and that's an area where Romney was starting to look very strong. If they waited until September, he would have put another $250 Million in the bank easy.

Last edited by jsherman999; 07-11-2012 at 08:26 PM.
07-12-2012, 04:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
He pointed to a Fox News poll showing Romney performing worse than Obama on the economy, which voters rank as the most important issue this election.

"I think the Fox News poll actually has the key to what the problem is for the Mitt Romney campaign. Do you think Barack Obama has a clear plan for improving the economy or not? Yes, 41; no 53. It's not great for an incumbent president. The economy is slow. And you are only at 41-53," said Kristol.

"Do you think his challenger, Gov. Romney, has a clear plan for improving the economy or not? Yes, 27; No, 55," he continued.

"I don't think you can beat an incumbent president, even if the economy is slow, if 27 percent of the voters think you as the challenger don't have a clear plan for improving the economy," Kristol said.

Romney's team has faced a barrage of criticisms from conservatives in the last week.

On Thursday, the editorial board of the Wall Street Journal blasted the campaign as "politically dumb" for its response to the Supreme Court ruling upholding Obama's healthcare reform law.

Senior Romney adviser Eric Fehrnstrom said the candidate viewed the individual mandate as a penalty early last week, undercutting GOP attempts to characterize the health law as a massive tax increase.

But Fehrnstrom was contradicted by Romney days later, when the former Massachusetts governor said the mandate was a tax.

Media mogul Rupert Murdoch, CEO of NewsCorp., also criticized the Romney campaign in a tweet last week saying that Romney would lose the election unless "drops old friends from [his] team and hires some real pros."

Kristol on Sunday acknowledged that many conservatives were "frustrated."

"I think what a lot of people would like to see -- a lot of people hope Mitt Romney wins the presidency in November, which I certainly do, is like to see him stand up and say I have a plan and I am going to aggressively address these problems and fix the economy," he said.

"They're very risk-averse, but being risk- averse can be risky," he cautioned.
Bill Kristol: Romney camp has reason to ?worry? - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room
07-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These foreign companies and accounts will yield all kinds of interesting issues about the way business is done now and Romney's embrace of this type of economy. SEC filings show him as the sole owner of two companies which invested in a Chinese manufacturer which specialized in outsourcing, and which aggressively and successfully marketed American appliance manufacturer Sunbeam to manufacture overseas. Romney then transferred shares in this outsourcing firm from his U.S. corporation to a Bermuda corporation of which he was also the sole shareholder.
QuoteQuote:
Reporting on this Romney entity, Vanity Fair noted that "investments in tax havens such as Bermuda raise many questions, because they are in 'jurisdictions where there is virtually no tax and virtually no compliance,' as one Miami-based offshore lawyer put it." With Sankaty, Romney was using a mysterious Bermuda-based entity to invest in a Chinese firm that thrived on US outsourcing.
EXCLUSIVE: Romney Invested Millions in Chinese Firm That Profited on US Outsourcing | Mother Jones

The Romney companies owned a stake in the Chinese company between 1998 and 2000, and the investments happened before Romney left Bain.
07-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Why he even needs campaign contributions as rich as he is something I have to kind of wonder about. If he really wanted to impress me he'd run his campaign on his own dime. I'm honestly not sure how much $$$ Obama has but he's certainly no pauper if he's in the White House. Him too if he can. Surely they've got better things to spend money on over the top political campaigns. Just one campaign ad could feed and house a family of four maybe more. Think about it. Every ad on TV, every ad in the newspapers, all those crap fliers they send out, that's double digit millions they're spending just to convince you to vote for them, and the stupid thing? In the end is it's all up to the electoral college anyway. You can vote anyway you want but it's not your vote that really counts. Waste of airtime, waste of trees, waste of $$$ if you ask me. They should just let the Senate and the House elect the President and be done with it. Skip the popular vote. It's not like they care what we want anyway. It's all posturing and pretense courting the vote of the common people. It's never been about "the people" it always been about MONEY. Poor people don't get elected President.
07-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I absolutely knew this would come up, and be huge, but what surprises me is that the Democrats pulled it out of their pocket now instead of waiting until September or October.

EDIT: One very possible explanation that just occurred to me - they want to slow the flow of big-donor money. A candidate that looks mortally wounded is going to start seeing the cash flow dry up a bit... and that's an area where Romney was starting to look very strong. If they waited until September, he would have put another $250 Million in the bank easy.
There is that, plus the calculation that Romney will continue to stonewall, thus keeping this alive. Also, economic news has turned more negative of late and this serves to counter balance that.
07-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Why he even needs campaign contributions as rich as he is something I have to kind of wonder about. If he really wanted to impress me he'd run his campaign on his own dime. I'm honestly not sure how much $$$ Obama has but he's certainly no pauper if he's in the White House. Him too if he can. Surely they've got better things to spend money on over the top political campaigns. Just one campaign ad could feed and house a family of four maybe more. Think about it. Every ad on TV, every ad in the newspapers, all those crap fliers they send out, that's double digit millions they're spending just to convince you to vote for them, and the stupid thing? In the end is it's all up to the electoral college anyway. You can vote anyway you want but it's not your vote that really counts. Waste of airtime, waste of trees, waste of $$$ if you ask me. They should just let the Senate and the House elect the President and be done with it. Skip the popular vote. It's not like they care what we want anyway. It's all posturing and pretense courting the vote of the common people. It's never been about "the people" it always been about MONEY. Poor people don't get elected President.
The POTUS makes $400k/yr, plus expenses. His personal wealth is not even remotely close to Romney's, but... after his term(s) is over, Obama will receive huge, steaming piles of cash for speeches, memoirs, public appearances, etc.
07-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Again there is no legal reason for any candidate to release their personal financial records. It's all a sham that is simply used to provide ammunition for the opposite party to attack a candidate with. See how rich he is, so how much money I give a way, see how much he gets from investments, see how much I pay in taxes compared to him, does anyone really care about this? I don't care to be honest with you no politician above the level a city candidate is in the same economic level as I am so what does it matter to me how many millions more candidate a makes over candidate b makes. What matters to me is who's politician though process best mirrors mine. Oh well go ahead and call me simple but I just don't care about their tax returns.