Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The reason why the US does not make any consumer electronics and very little clothing is the US work force will not work like people outside the US.
Thanks to the labor unions.

07-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #17
Veteran Member

There are a whole bunch unemployed textile workers in North Carolina who will be thrilled to see our Olympians sporting uniforms made at Ralph Lauren's facility in China.
Are the athletes being supplied with Cannon towels currently made by Li & Fung of Hong Kong?
It will be OK , They only have to wear those uniforms once.
07-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Incase you haven't done the math The men will each be wearing $1,945.00 of Ralph Lauren for the opening parade and the ladies outfits cost $1,473.00. These figures do not include socks and underwear.
BTW I'm shocked by the difference in clothing cost between the men & women. I think Ralph may favor the men.
07-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Some observations: we obviously did not get it wholesale and this is what the US businesses do best these days: style and marketeer and charge a big mark-up while off-shoring the actual build.

07-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Amazingly tone-deaf by Ralph Lauren. I recall in years past the red, white & blue motif was a favorite of his... and seems so ironic now.
07-13-2012, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The reason why the US does not make any consumer electronics and very little clothing is the US work force will not work like people outside the US. People in the US just want to sit on their fat ass and complain about China while eating the worst processed crap sold in the supermarket. They should go ask people on the street if they want to make the US team uniforms. The US has the cheapest food and the highest medical costs on the planet and it makes their brains turn to mush.

So, the fact that manufacturers can get people who will work for $.50 an hour in countries that don't outlaw working conditions that can kill or maim workers has nothing to do with it?

I learn something every day. Today I learned how stupid somebody is.
07-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The reason why the US does not make any consumer electronics and very little clothing is the US work force will not work like people outside the US. People in the US just want to sit on their fat ass and complain about China while eating the worst processed crap sold in the supermarket. They should go ask people on the street if they want to make the US team uniforms. The US has the cheapest food and the highest medical costs on the planet and it makes their brains turn to mush.
What a load of crap.

07-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
What a load of crap.
ill second that assertion.
07-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Saw a pic of the uniform today. Really ummmm ,...ummm stupid looking berets and a big ol' Polo emblem on the blazers.
I suggest we get some domesticly made Team USA patches and stick them right over the Polo emblem.
Oh yeah and send the berets to the French team.
I just can't help but think they look like large children in little sailor suits.
Attached Images

Last edited by seacapt; 07-14-2012 at 05:25 PM.
07-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Caddyshack anyone?

Last edited by SteveM; 07-14-2012 at 08:10 PM.
07-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #26
Banned

why is everybody hating on the beret? The looks of these individual berets aside, theres no reason to be hating on the beret with comments like this. Our military wears berets, and i dont see anyone making such comments. What do you suggest they wear? Covering up the ridiculously oversized polo emblem though, im all for.

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Saw a pic of the uniform today. Really ummmm ,...ummm stupid looking berets and a big ol' Polo emblem on the blazers.
I suggest we get some domesticly made Team USA patches and stick them right over the Polo emblem.
Oh yeah and send the berets to the French team.
I just can't help but think they look like large children in little sailor suits.
07-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
why is everybody hating on the beret? The looks of these individual berets aside, theres no reason to be hating on the beret with comments like this. Our military wears berets, and i dont see anyone making such comments. What do you suggest they wear? Covering up the ridiculously oversized polo emblem though, im all for.
The milspec beret looks alot different. These Polo ones give the athlete's heads the profile of a muffin. Beside these are the Summer games so why hats in the first place?
If the powers that be decided headgear was needed maybe some domesticly made Team USA baseball caps or visors.
Glad someone else thought that the Polo emblem was audaciously large. Certainly more noticable than any sign of national identity. The red white and blue stripes could be associated with several countries. The mens ties are nice but should be for $125.

Last edited by seacapt; 07-15-2012 at 08:32 AM.
07-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
If the powers that be decided headgear was needed maybe some domesticly made Team USA baseball caps or visors.
yea, id think since these are the opening ceremony uniforms, if headwear was desired, we would do good to wear something more formal than a baseball cap or god forbid a visor. we may disagree on what looks ugly here, but I would rather see our guys and gals in the most french of berets than to take the world stage looking as silly as they would look wearing that uniform and a visor. talk about bad taste.

as for the beret itself, the only difference I would imagine there being between these and a ‘military’ beret is how they are worn. those berets could be worn very differently and look much better. certainly better than a visor. *shudder*
07-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
yea, id think since these are the opening ceremony uniforms, if headwear was desired, we would do good to wear something more formal than a baseball cap or god forbid a visor. we may disagree on what looks ugly here, but I would rather see our guys and gals in the most french of berets than to take the world stage looking as silly as they would look wearing that uniform and a visor. talk about bad taste.

as for the beret itself, the only difference I would imagine there being between these and a ‘military’ beret is how they are worn. those berets could be worn very differently and look much better. certainly better than a visor. *shudder*
Yeah you're right.
07-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All the politicians are jumping on this--except one. Mit Romney was a notable exception in saying that the uniforms are a "distraction" from the athletes.

Of course he has experience while he was on his leave of absence/retroactive retirement from Bain unning an Olympic event plagued by controversy over outsourcing uniforms to factories in Burma. (2/11/2002) Olympic Torch Bearer Uniforms Made In Burma Sweatshops The Salt Lake City Olympic Committee issued this gem of a response:

QuoteQuote:
"The torch relay clothes were NOT made in Burma. They were manufactured in Myanmar," according to the email sent by the Committee to the protesters last week. "In fact they were made in the exact same factory that produces clothes for GAP, North Face and other major clothing labels."
Hmmm. I wonder if both Burma and Myanmar were allowed a team.

Last edited by GeneV; 07-17-2012 at 06:24 AM.