Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
US Olympic Team Uniforms... Made in China

Team USA To Be Decked Out in Uniforms Made in China | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo! News

They are the pride of America - Team U.S.A. - and for the opening ceremonies of the Summer Olympics in London, they'll be proudly wearing red, white and blue, from beret to blazer. The classic American style - shown in an image above - was crafted by designer Ralph Lauren. But just how American is it?
When ABC News looked at the labels, it found "made in China."
Every item in the uniforms that the U.S. athletes will be wearing at the opening ceremony in London will carry an overseas label.
Nanette Lepore, one of the top U.S. fashion designers, said she was shocked that none of the uniforms had been made in the states. Further, Lepore said that it was "absolutely" possible that the athletes could have been outfitted in U.S.-made clothing. She said U.S. manufactures could have easily made the uniforms - and for less.
Here's how much the uniforms cost:
Men:
Beret - $55
Tie - $125
Belt - $85
Shirt - $425
Blazer - $795
Trousers - $295
Shoes - $165

Women:
Beret - $55
Scarf - $58
Belt - $85
Shirt - $179
Skirt - $498
Blazer - $598
"Why shouldn't we have pride not only in the American athletes, but in the American manufacturers and laborers who are the backbone of our country?" Lepore said to ABC News. "Why? What's wrong? Why was that not a consideration?"
ABC News reached out to Lauren and the U.S. Olympic Committee and asked why American-made clothing had not been selected for the athletes.
The committee said: "The U.S. Olympic team is privately funded and we're grateful for the support of our sponsors. We're proud of our partnership with Ralph Lauren, an iconic American company."
Also Read

07-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Team USA To Be Decked Out in Uniforms Made in China | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo! News

They are the pride of America - Team U.S.A. - and for the opening ceremonies of the Summer Olympics in London, they'll be proudly wearing red, white and blue, from beret to blazer. The classic American style - shown in an image above - was crafted by designer Ralph Lauren. But just how American is it?
Every item in the uniforms that the U.S. athletes will be wearing at the opening ceremony in London will carry an overseas label.
Nanette Lepore, one of the top U.S. fashion designers, said she was shocked that none of the uniforms had been made in the states. Further, Lepore said that it was "absolutely" possible that the athletes could have been outfitted in U.S.-made clothing. She said U.S. manufactures could have easily made the uniforms - and for less.
Here's how much the uniforms cost:
Men:
Beret - $55
Tie - $125
Belt - $85
Shirt - $425
Blazer - $795
Trousers - $295
Shoes - $165

Women:
Beret - $55
Scarf - $58
Belt - $85
Shirt - $179
Skirt - $498
Blazer - $598
"Why shouldn't we have pride not only in the American athletes, but in the American manufacturers and laborers who are the backbone of our country?" Lepore said to ABC News. "Why? What's wrong? Why was that not a consideration?"
ABC News reached out to Lauren and the U.S. Olympic Committee and asked why American-made clothing had not been selected for the athletes.
The committee said: "The U.S. Olympic team is privately funded and we're grateful for the support of our sponsors. We're proud of our partnership with Ralph Lauren, an iconic American company."
Also Read
Hilarious!

Then again, it's all about "trade", isn't it?

Which reminds me: I just bought a "super" pair of walking shoes: ECCO made .... in Canada??
Not a chance! These are NOW made in China !!

JP

JP
07-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Did Ms Lepore actually have numbers to back up her comparative statement or did she just pull a statement out of her nether region. These things are almost always tendered out, and often there are fiduciary clauses in the buyers contracts that say they have to take the lowest bid.
I can't see any way how the clothing contract would have gone overseas if an American company had put in the lowest bid.
07-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hilarious!

Then again, it's all about "trade", isn't it?

Which reminds me: I just bought a "super" pair of walking shoes: ECCO made .... in Canada??
Not a chance! These are NOW made in China !!

JP

JP
I recently bought a pair of Redwing steel toed work boots. Not only are they made in the USA, they are also the most comfortable pair of steel toes I have had in the several years that I've needed them.
Sometimes buying cheap isn't the best option. The Redwings were about twice as expensive as the Chinese crap I had been wearing, but I fully expect they will last more than twice as long (I get about a year out of a pair of Chinese shoes, with the last month pure hell on my feet).

07-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I recently bought a pair of Redwing steel toed work boots. Not only are they made in the USA, they are also the most comfortable pair of steel toes I have had in the several years that I've needed them.
Sometimes buying cheap isn't the best option. The Redwings were about twice as expensive as the Chinese crap I had been wearing, but I fully expect they will last more than twice as long (I get about a year out of a pair of Chinese shoes, with the last month pure hell on my feet).
That is what I am hpoing for the ECCO walking shoes: at the price paid for them, I am expecting a few years of comfortable wear.
What really got me is when I got home and realized that the label specified "Made in China" !

I have no problem to buy stuff which is made in the US or Canada .... more expensive but usually well worth it.

This time, I have the feeling I was cheaped out!

We'll soon find out.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 07-12-2012 at 11:59 AM.
07-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I have to wonder. Is the actual issue "Made in USA" or "Made in China"? What if they were Made in Mexico? Made in Canada? Or even Made in Italy? Would it make the headline?
07-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ECCO is a Danish brand.
Every global brand who cares about their reputation lay down manufacturing policies, process flow etc to wherever they put down roots, these QCs are standard regardless of where they're located and what language is spoken.
If you look at the auto industry why did domestic vehicles have poor reputation vs imports built on local soil? Only till now QCs is becoming more "acceptable" vs foreign QC in that industry.

Capitalism is all about greed, highly profitable industries will move to where the highest gains can be made, this is how it is.

Last edited by Clicker; 07-12-2012 at 02:22 PM.
07-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I have to wonder. Is the actual issue "Made in USA" or "Made in China"? What if they were Made in Mexico? Made in Canada? Or even Made in Italy? Would it make the headline?
Not a chance ... !

Made in China has become a legendary hot talk item for many, many years.

I think it isn't hard to figure out why.

Just hope they will/have improve(d) on their QC because there will be more and more stuff made there.

JP
07-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
ECCO is a Danish brand.
Danish brand ? I thought they were also made here ... now "Made in China" nevertheless.

Want a pic of the shoes?

JP
07-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

brand and manufacturer are not the same

just a bit off topic, if you haven't seen it.

07-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to wonder. Is the actual issue "Made in USA" or "Made in China"?
For almost everybody, it's not where it's made; it's where it isn't made that causes the heartburn.
07-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Just hope they will/have improve(d) on their QC because there will be more and more stuff made there.
Speaking as a Chinese from HK, not to be confused from mainland China, I have found many Made in China products are high on quality, but with even more crap out there. I think the problem have to do with QC. As customers, our best bet would be buying brand name products, though there is no guarantee. My 13 years old Made in China JVC mini hifi is still working fine. None of my Made in China brand name shoes ever failed on me. My same pair of NB runner said to have problem were Made in USA while the Made in China version was fine. My new pair of Made in China Ray-ban glasses (now returned) have loosely painted on detail with lousy touch-up and dust embedded in paint, and they aren't cheap. None of my Made in China notebooks have failed on me but Acer was not properly assembled while Toshiba was perfect (found out only when I disassembled them for modifications). My own rule is to avoid any foods from China whenever possible because you never know what poison they left behind along the supply chain since China is a very vast country with so many corrupted regional governments.
07-12-2012, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Speaking as a Chinese from HK, not to be confused from mainland China, I have found many Made in China products are high on quality,.......................I think the problem have to do with QC
I own a bike shop. Almost all bicycle frames are made in China and the bicycles pre-assembled there. We are seeing more and more components coming from there as well. Some are exceptional quality and attention to detail in the pre-assembly, others are crap. The people doing the work are doing the manufacturing, assembly, and packaging to the level that is called for in the contract. If the contractor specifies crap, he (understandably) gets crap. If he specifes top-notch materials and flawless workmanship, that's what he gets. Quality control is an issue, but it isn't necessarily poor QC on the manufacturers' part. It's often someone representing the client that isn't doing his job.
The bottom line is that the Chinese are quite capable and willing to produce first rate stuff when that's what the job calls for. Where they get a bad reputation is from outfits like Walmart telling them to produce the cheapest junk possible.
07-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #14
Banned

The reason why the US does not make any consumer electronics and very little clothing is the US work force will not work like people outside the US. People in the US just want to sit on their fat ass and complain about China while eating the worst processed crap sold in the supermarket. They should go ask people on the street if they want to make the US team uniforms. The US has the cheapest food and the highest medical costs on the planet and it makes their brains turn to mush.

07-13-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The reason why the US does not make any consumer electronics and very little clothing is the US work force will not work like people outside the US. People in the US just want to sit on their fat ass and complain about China while eating the worst processed crap sold in the supermarket. They should go ask people on the street if they want to make the US team uniforms. The US has the cheapest food and the highest medical costs on the planet and it makes their brains turn to mush.
Hear Hear! I say, let's outsource all our military equipment to China. We will get better quality cheaper and faster, compared to the fat-assed American defense contractors and their eternal cost overruns. And while we're at it, how much does the army have to spend to whip the video game playing obese porkers we call our youth into some approximation of shape? And these 'soldiers' if we can call them that expect enormous wages and benefits. Better to outsource them to China also - we can get 5 Chinese soldiers for each 1 American one, and I'm not talking in terms of weight. Everyone knows there are a gazillion Chinese, and that they kill or abort about half of their women, so there's a big supply of Army eligible men - this keeps the labor costs down and ensures quick back fill should that be required. Plus, you know how much closer China is to Afganistan, Pakistan and North Korea than we are? Think of the logistics...