Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Only old consumers know about Kodak and they will all be dead much sooner than the younger consumers who don't know about Kodak so the brand name is not worth much.

Right, like the US made DSLRs and iPads have much better quality.
I think that former giants don't want to exist as normal people.

07-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I think that Kodak film will continue to exist. Their black and white film is almost identical in price with Ilford at most stores I see in Canada and they are the only one to come up with a new emulsion in the past few years, new TMAX 400, Portra emulsions and Ektar. I shoot their colour film but mostly Fuji in black and white. For some reason Fuji is the cheapest of the three majors in 135 and 120 but the highest in 4X5 and does not even market larger formats. Kodak film sales are no longer in decline. It will exist as a smaller company but I think we will see TMAX, TriX and Portra for the foreseeable future. I sure hope so anyways but then I think from the news out of the UK that Ilford is doing well and that sales of the eastern European films is also steady. Fuji I do not know as they never announce such things.

Kodak films had the biggest challenge of all the film companies as their production lines are geared for large quantitlies and it is not that simple to make 100 of some thing in a continuous line that was designed for 1 000 000. They seem to have gotten that worked out.
07-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Kodak film sales are no longer in decline. It will exist as a smaller company but I think we will see TMAX, TriX and Portra for the foreseeable future.
We can all hope so, but shortsighted folks concerned only with today's bottom line are often known to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Chris