Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Norm, it's pretty much a lost cause. Guns and violence, and the marriage of the two are intrinsic parts of American society. They like their guns, they like shooting their guns, and if you look at the numbers, they like shooting their guns at each other (though apparently, pointing this out makes me an American hater).
As a Canadian, it's a very foreign concept, but we don't have the levels of violence here that is routine in America (yet, but they are managing to export it to us), and we don't have the culture of killing that they have.
You have all those baby seals on which to exhaust your need for violence.

07-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Norm, it's pretty much a lost cause.
I have no problem with occasionally championing lost causes... maybe when I'm dead I'll be declared the saint of lost causes. People with lost causes will carry medallions with a caricature of me of me around their neck.

QuoteQuote:
You have all those baby seals on which to exhaust your need for violence.
Good argument... poor fisherfolk with no other way to make a living doing the only thing makes them a bit of cash is an excuse for Americans to use guns. Keep those quotes a coming , I love it. How about Canola oil... how long before that gets into the argument, somehow convoluted to be an argument favouring guns?
07-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #18

I don't think we have a culture of killing, but instead of hard work and achievement making a man, a cheap Saturday night special or a stolen Judge will do it. Children no longer tassel corn, boys don't buck hay bales, girls don't know how to lay out a dress pattern or set a table. But American and Canadian children and their off shore partners can sure play violent, mind numbing video games. When a violent act occurs and the perpetrator is actually caught, we go all Clarence Darrow and blame everyone except the bad guy. The Blue Nose is gone now, and Gloucester is fished out. Never again will salt dried cod weigh down a schooner to her wash ports. We don't do with or for our kids, and violence is always easy and reinforced by peer groups married to HALO.
07-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Good argument... poor fisherfolk with no other way to make a living doing the only thing makes them a bit of cash is an excuse for Americans to use guns. Keep those quotes a coming , I love it. How about Canola oil... how long before that gets into the argument, somehow convoluted to be an argument favouring guns?
I said nothing about guns.

Most of the seals die at the hands of commercial "harvesters". We're not talking Inuit here.

I only bring up the seal-clubbing issue because of Wheatfield's statement, "...we don't have the culture of killing that they {Americans} have." When, in fact, Canadians do.

07-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

I only bring up the seal-clubbing issue because of Wheatfield's statement, "...we don't have the culture of killing that they {Americans} have."
No, but when in Canada stay indoors on hockey night though. Canadians love to celebrate victory or mourn defeat by destroying millions of dollars in public and private property. It's something they all love doing. It's an ingrained part of their culture, just like just like killing each other is something all Americans like to do.
07-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No, but when in Canada stay indoors on hockey night though. Canadians love to celebrate victory or mourn defeat by destroying millions of dollars in public and private property. It's something they all love doing. It's an ingrained part of their culture, just like just like killing each other is something all Americans like to do.
Wait a minute... that's sarcasm, I can tell.... are you trying to tell me that the actions of the few do not define the whole?

07-16-2012, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Wait a minute... that's sarcasm, I can tell.... are you trying to tell me that the actions of the few do not define the whole?
Except when the few are evil, soulless, blood thirsty Americans.

07-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Nuff Sayd !!
Attached Images

07-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The ridiculous extreme as a replacement for intelligent discourse rears it's ugly head again, I see.
Do you have statistics to back that up? I can certainly rate the USA against any G20 country for stupidly high gun violence rates?
How many hockey riots per year happen in Canada? Judging from the OWS street demonstrations and rioting, America seems to have a fair fondness for riotous destruction and mayhem.
As an aside, I don't think a Canadian protester has ever been shot and killed by our equivalent of the National Guard.
07-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I think it's more a matter of "You can't fix stupid" than it is of our sins. I'm not a gun person, but I have guns....I'm forced to, because all the bad guys have them.

Regards
You must've had run-ins with quite a few of those bad guys then?
07-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
Nuff Sayd !!
Thanks for reinforcing my opinion.
07-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ridiculous extreme as a replacement for intelligent discourse rears it's ugly head again, I see.
If you were to cease making hyperbolic and inflammatory statements such as, "the culture of killing that they have", you might succeed in engaging in "intelligent discourse"... but is that really what you want?

QuoteQuote:
Do you have statistics to back that up? I can certainly rate the USA against any G20 country for stupidly high gun violence rates?
I wouldn't trust data supplied from half of those countries, for a variety of reasons. That said, yes we are aware that the homicide rate in the USA is over twice that of our friends to the north.

QuoteQuote:
How many hockey riots per year happen in Canada?
Given the current state of the NHL in Canada, you guys haven't exactly had many chances. The Canadian NHL teams seem to get outgunned by the 'murricans

Last edited by luftfluss; 07-16-2012 at 07:08 PM.
07-16-2012, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The ridiculous extreme as a replacement for intelligent discourse rears it's ugly head again.
You are more likely to find intelligent discourse if you and Norm stop generalizing about America and Americans. (Did you notice how it's done? I singled out the usual suspects, and didn't generalize that all Canadians are holier than thou.)
07-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #29

I have 8 guns and haven't shot anyone in weeks. I must be turning Canadian.
07-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #30
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CraneGuy1 Quote
I have 8 guns and haven't shot anyone in weeks. I must be turning Canadian.
Closed Thread