Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The Cafe Bandits couldn't or wouldn't shoot back? At the bare minimum, one of the Cafe Bandits had a ball bat and was using it to bust up the place. Plus, only the gun toting bandit said his .45 wouldn't work. Furthermore, they started the criminal felony act. Williams didn't shoot at people sitting in chairs. He still went 3 for 5. It is funny that the people that were there aren't the ones complaining.

As far as the Wisconsin Bandits go, they were armed against an unarmed 71 y.o. man. Plus, their presence on the street put many in danger. These guys were on a spree in Wisc before fleeing to FL. Who knows what they did in between.

Update: Fugitives suspected in brutal beating of convenience store clerk

You still ignored the fact that the Cafe Bandits are off the streets. The "firing" away comment is very naive. Plus, it is still they wait to see if the "hurt you bad or kill you" before you do something logic. The bad guys have already demonstrated they were willing to perpetrate mayhem in both cases.
I am not going to continue to discuss this with myself. You don't write as though you have read anything I wrote or respond to what I actually write.

08-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #182
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I am not going to continue to discuss this with myself. You don't write as though you have read anything I wrote or respond to what I actually write.
Pot Kettle Black.
08-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #183
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
From a country where guns are illegal:
Chinese Teen Kills 9 in Knife Attack

To a country where guns are legal:
Firearm Owner Stops Knife Attack
08-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #184
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
People have been killing each other since time began. A lack of a certain kind of weapon never stopped anyone who really wanted to go there. Yes, the history of the USA has been violent, but look to the history of your own countries and you'll find a lot of violence there too. Even in ancient times long before guns some people were seemingly intent upon slaughter and they accomplished it just fine without gun powder. Heck, the Greeks and Romans had chemical weapons and used them along with their swords. Just banning guns won't make senseless killing go away. Napoleon didn't have machine guns but he nearly conquered the world. Sometimes all it takes is one maniac in the right place at the right time intent upon killing. It almost doesn't matter what weapon is used. It's the mindset that leads to mass destruction.

We live in a bloody, brutal world. Always have, always will. Human beings can be angels or beasts. We're a mixture of both. It's in our natures. That dark side is in us all and if we're honest we admit that. People are still capable of things like love, friendship, charity, kindness, but they're also capable of things like rape, beating other people up in a senseless rage, killing large numbers of people "just because it feels good" to go there. Sometimes it's completely senseless. There is seemingly no logic to it. The other day a woman killed a man just because he wouldn't share his darn beer. Another man killed all his kids to get back at his wife who wanted a divorce. Another woman killed her kids and then attempted to kill herself because she was feeling suicidal. Yesterday two women went on a shop lifting rampage, and when they were caught they retaliated by crashing through the store windows, running over the store manager who is now in critical condition, and then, get this, they then took off, went down the road and tried to rob a phone store of all it's dummy phones, broken glass et all from their murder attempt still on the car. Were all these people insane? Probably not. But I just can't understand any of it.

What I do know is I feel more vulnerable than I have ever felt in my life and I don't like it. It's not just paranoia. Every week there are several reports of violent crimes in my area. That's a fact. The cops aren't going to be there to protect me if a band of thugs bursts into my house. I may not have time to dial 911 and wait. I'm not going to just stand there and let someone do something like that to me or someone I care about. They're coming at people with all kinds of weapons with intent to harm. I'm not going to end up a statistic if can help it. I'm not advocating whole sale knee jerk vigilantism or lynch mobs but if the inmates are armed and violent, and intent upon taking the asylum I can't just sit there and allow them to succeed now can I?

Being passive just isn't likely going to save my life. Or that of my roommate or my nieces or any of the rest of my family if something like this goes down. Yeah, if someone burst into my house waving a gun in my face I'd take that shot. If I had time to grab a weapon I'd use it. You bet I would. What's the alternative? Getting terrorized, beaten, raped, maybe even killed? Not if I can help it. No way, no how.

08-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess you shouldn't bring a knife to a broom handle fight...

08-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #186
Site Supporter

For those that criticized Mr. Williams shoot and move skills . .

QuoteQuote:
Officer Craig Matthews shot seven times. Officer Robert Sinishtaj fired nine times, police said. Neither had ever fired their weapons before on a patrol.The volley of gunfire felled Johnson in just a few seconds and left nine other people bleeding on the sidewalk.

"it appears that all nine of the victims were struck either by fragments or by bullets fired by police," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly told reporters on Saturday at a community event in Harlem.

He reiterated that the officers appeared to have no choice but to shoot Johnson, whose body had 10 bullets wounds in the chest, arms and legs.

"I believe it was handled well," Kelly said.

Read more: NYPD: 9 shooting bystander victims hit by police gunfire | Fox News
No doubt that they had to shoot but I think they not only haven't fired their weapons on patrol, but suspect range and training is minimal. Mr. Williams went 3/5 and had pretty good shooting lanes and moved according to the circumstances. Remember that the security video didn't record every frame.
08-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #187
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I guess you shouldn't bring a knife to a broom handle fight...

Surveillance video: St. Elias Mini Market robbery attempt - YouTube

Likewise, don't take a baseball bat to a gunfight (or screw with old men).

This old man is a hoot. He got 8 staples in his head from getting whacked in the head with a baseball bat. I am starting to think it isn't good to mess with old men in Florida.
08-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #188
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Served them right. The little punks weren't there to read books for the old guy. Hitting an old man with a baseball bat, how brave. He'd have been in his right to have shot them dead. I'm glad he didn't but I don't have any sympathy for those three. Not at all.

08-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
No doubt that they had to shoot but I think they not only haven't fired their weapons on patrol, but suspect range and training is minimal. Mr. Williams went 3/5 and had pretty good shooting lanes and moved according to the circumstances. Remember that the security video didn't record every frame.
If you can believe the reports ..... 16 shots fired by police , Johnston never got a shot off, Johnstone was hit at close range 10 times , nine bystanders were wounded . Sounds like NYPD and probably most metropolitan cops need more/ better urban combat training and possibly weapons with better knockdown power.
I watched Bloomberg's press conference live . His closing words were "There are alot of guns out there" yet all of those wounded were hit by police fire.

Last edited by seacapt; 08-27-2012 at 06:57 AM.