Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Should I post an undercover thread on a rest home?
Yes, post it uncensored 619.35%
Yes, post it, but block their eyes out 13.23%
No, don't post it 39.68%
No, don't post it and don't shoot it 2064.52%
No opinion 13.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Do you want me to post an undercover thread from a rest home or not?

Visited a family member in a rest home today. Have not been in a rest home for decades. As soon as I stepped in the front door I saw pix for me to shoot at every turn. I asked if I could shoot some pix, but was told no.

Could not get the lost photo ops out of my mind. I will be visiting it for a week or more a few times a day until my person recovers. On one of my visits I decided to do some undercover shots with my little Olympus 4/3 cam. I hate that cam cause I can't figure out how to use it. Running a dslr does nothing for me with it. But I will say it is the finest cam I ever picked up for getting the shot as a dummy. I am using the 12mm lens and shoot only from the hip, and sideways at that. Fantastic undercover cam of the highest order!

Here is a sample image that would be in the thread...

Now...this is not an exposee about how bad or dirty things are in the rest home. It smells better than my house in there! It is only a recording of the people there and the life they live for your perusal. My wife and mother in law were horrified I would do such a thing. But they are not me and I am not them. And you togs know what it is like....Togs are like termites. Just as termites must eat wood...togs must shoot pix. The only question is what wood will the termites be eating and what pix the togs will be shooting ...

So, I thought I'd put it to a vote to see what you thought about such a thread. I was told by my family I should block out the people eyes for decency sake or lawsuit. So I may do that. But if there is no threat of a lawsuit, I would not bock their eyes out. As a documentary tog it not my cup of tea to censor pix. In any case, such pix are a good reminder to keep moving and enjoy your life as long as you can whether you vote yes or no.

Now, keep in mind all the pix are shot from the hip sideways. They wont all be pretty ones like the sample. But if you've seen my pix you also know I don't sign my name to crap.

So...vote for yes or no.

Thanks

Last edited by slackercruster; 07-19-2012 at 05:57 AM.
07-18-2012, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Model releases?
07-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

dignity ?
07-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's why some dislike photographers.

I have learn to respect people's will. When they don't want to be photographed, I don't and that's it. NO BUT! People don't live to entertain you. If you can't refrain yourself, seek another hobby.

07-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I voted "no".

Basically, you would be invaded the home of these folks. Not only would "undercover photography" be immoral, but also possibly illegal.
07-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Are you on private property?
07-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you know how much I respect your work but in this case I have to vote thumbs down. You were specifically told not to take photos and you did anyway. That's actual criminal trespass in some places. These people are not consenting, no releases, and it's not a public street where you could claim immunity from prosecution. You could get sued by this place for putting them online at all, eye blocks or no eyeblocks. Or busted, arrested, even. They're probably amazing photos but please keep them for yourself. 25-30 years from now these people will be long gone and the place might not even exist. You might be safe to show them then but right now they could potentially put your arse in jail. Not good.

07-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm conflicted on the matter. Part of me believes it could be very interesting while another part of me believes it would be too invasive.

Last edited by TomTextura; 07-18-2012 at 09:08 PM.
07-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I wonder what would be so interesting about those photos. Anything one could not expect or imagine?
07-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I wonder what would be so interesting about those photos. Anything one could not expect or imagine?
The same could be said about street photography. However in this instance, private property, told no already, not ok.
07-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

After thinking about it more, I think magkelly is right in saying that if you must take these for yourself, it would be best to keep them to yourself. That way maybe you can go one step over the line but not two steps, the second step being sharing them online.

I'm sure you could capture some compelling images but if there's not a redeeming value, such as there could be with an exposé photojournalism piece, then I'm going to lean to the side of if not being a very good thing to do. Maybe if you spent some time with some individuals in the home and got to know them a bit so that you could both be comfortable then you could ask those individuals if they'd allow you to take a portrait of them. Then you could get a few nice images but on fair terms. It would take some more investment though, which could pay off in other ways. You'd probably hear some fascinating stories and could make a couple of friends in the process.
07-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well, if I should live that long, beyond all expectations, I found the one thing I really need for the rest home: a copy of the sticker I've put one of on my banjo case, and the other is being saved for any wheelchair. 'I guess I was punk once.' (I also swore I'd get a green mowhawk if I ever lived to age 70, but I'm still not expecting to have to honor that oath. I'm gonna do it though, if I can make it that far.

Something else I thought meant something at that age, though:

Photojournalism.

Do it.

(Also get the stories.)

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 07-18-2012 at 11:14 PM.
07-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I too really enjoy your work, and have to vote no on the covert operation. It is private property; you do not have a right to photograph there at all, and without expressed permission you are not granted the privilege either.

Just my $0.02...

Why not sincerely approach the management with an offer to come in, possibly with a small group of photographers you know, and do actual portrait work for these people?

My local photography group has done this and it was a tremendously rewarding experience for the residents, their families, the staff, and the photographers. Spend some time chatting with these people and make photos of them with them fully engaged - that's when the great shots are going to happen.
07-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm tired of private property being more of a sacred cow than people's lives. I voted shoot it, but there was no option for shoot and think about where it goes.

Something that made sense about old folks I met while doing things I wasn't supposed to do.

Private property?

Yeah, I was like a junior batgirl once, too.

But, you know.. I saw where they put my grandmother, before her time there, and I think the thing that hurt *worst* about me getting really dragged out of the closet was how they acted like she was too old and frail to bear what she already knew, (in fact, we were really the only ones in the family who halfway understood each other, to begin with. Heh, I guess I'm just the latest, hopefully the last, of the cranky arthritic spinsters in this line.

I dont' think I even realized it at the time, but it's crept up on me in my travels... how sequestered the old folks are these days.... for starters, no place for them to go anymore, like the old cafes and donut shops.. For another, they can't live anywhere that isn't controlled and at best shuttle-bused. Didn't even *meet* anybody over 65 down here till I went on jury duty, and... You know, I guess it never occurred to me to ask my friends there what it was like not too long ago. You wouldn't think to, actually. Maybe it wasn't the important part, but actually I think we're cut off from our elders so badly, especially people around my age. Something that used to just be there when I ran back to the city, as a kid.

People my age, well, we were caught between the Boomers never letting go and running hard at trying to be in a world computer kids would really leave behind. Never really got our turn at bat, to be honest. But everyone's still so sequestered. Esoecially the old from the young. Isn't even a *neighborhood* for that to happen in, most of the country.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 07-19-2012 at 12:03 AM.
07-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm far more concerned that Slacker might get busted if he posted them than with the fact that he took them. Legally with this one he is on very shaky ground. He didn't get releases and he didn't have permission to shoot there. In fact he was told expressly not to. He totally flouted that request. I don't know if the people in the pics minded or not. He doesn't say. His call, but as far as I know he's not mentioned being a journalist and so he has no handy press pass to cover his arse. They sound very anal like they just might press charges or sue him. I don't want to see him go there. Then again maybe he has no money and likes jail food and doesn't care if he gets busted so long as he gets to follow his artistic muse, laugh.