Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
"Joel B. Pollack rushed to report a voter registration card that turned to not belong to the Colorado gunman.
There was a reason why Breitbart News had the exclusive on the breaking scoop that James Holmes, the shooter responsible for the movie theater massacre in Aurora, Colorado, might be a Democrat: he isn't, and they were wrong.
Blogger Joel B. Pollack, writing for the right wing blog network, reported early Friday that he had obtained voter registration records that he believed belonged to Holmes and which placed the 25-year Holmes in the Democratic Party. Five hours later, Pollack updated his story to note that his discovery was incorrect; the 24-year old Holmes in question, he wrote, may not even be registered to vote."

Breitbart Blogger Falsely Accuses Colorado Shooter James Holmes of Being a Democrat - The Hollywood Reporter

Do you get all your news from the right wing aholes ?

So Canadian people hate roughly half the population of the United States ?
And a left wing blogger tweeted that Holmes was a member of the tea party. The problem is James Holmes is a common name. Just imagine if his name had been John Holmes.

07-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #137
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

[B]

So Canadian people hate roughly half the population of the United States ?
So you get jokes as well as you get politics, eh?
If being half Canadian means you hate half of all Americans, then being Canadian would mean; oh stick with it, you'll figure it out.

Last edited by Parallax; 07-22-2012 at 07:32 AM.
07-22-2012, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can stab someone with a knife. Let's ban knives!
I can smother someone with a pillow. Let's ban pillows!
I can beat someone to death with my tripod. No more tripods!!!
I can choke someone with a garden hose.... I think you get where I'm going with this.

Several months ago I went to Wal-Mart to buy a can of computer duster spray and was told they no longer carried it because some Darwin award winner huffed it in some other part of the country and died. Visible from where the cans of killer computer duster once lurked, waiting to unleash their murderous reign of terror on the stupid, was the friggin' gun department.

There will always be something you can use to whack someone else. You can't ban everything.
07-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #139
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
There will always be something you can use to whack someone else. You can't ban everything.
NO! You're wrong. No one will ever die again if we just pass a law that bans guns. Everyone will be so relieved that guns no longer exist that the entire world will all join hands and sing Kumbaya and Michael Row The Boat Ashore. (Well, except the Canadians and Americans, maybe. They still won't like us.)

Attn cardinal43: That was sarcasm.

07-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #140
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Sorry, I didn't think I really needed a sarcasm sign on that one. Apparently I was wrong.
In the future I'll preface posts like that with "Warning! Sarcasm ahead."
I got it as sarcasm!

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And a left wing blogger tweeted that Holmes was a member of the tea party. The problem is James Holmes is a common name. Just imagine if his name had been John Holmes.
Elderly man snaps after being diagnosed with ED. laugh
07-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #141
Site Supporter

BS, most Republicans are fat ass weenies like Dickhead Cheney and think guns make them a badass.

Gun Ownership Higher Among Republicans Than Democrats
There are a probably a lot of former Democrats in that Independent column. Plus it depends on where the data was collected, Mass vs. Montana . . .

Were there ~ 334 of each?

QuoteQuote:
Results are based on telephone interviews with 1,012 national adults, aged 18 and older, conducted Oct. 13-16, 2005.
QuoteQuote:
For results based on the sample of 579 adults who personally own a gun, conducted Aug. 29-Sept. 5, 2000 and Oct. 13-16, 2005, one can say with 95% confidence that the maximum error attributable to sampling and other random effects is ±4 percentage points.
There would have to be at least a sample that size taken in all 50 states to give a true picture.

Last edited by Blue; 07-22-2012 at 08:17 AM.
07-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #142
Veteran Member

Here's the strangest take I've seen yet: False Flag

07-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #143
Veteran Member

That is the most absurd and dishonest piece of spin I've read in months. People just find it hard to accept that apparently normal, hitherto law abiding people can just go nuts. Did noone see the movie 'Falling Down'? This shooter had retreated into a fantasy world, noone noticed because who knows what other people get up to online? The internet and video games allowed him to nurture his sick alternate reality, as well as plan his attack and obtain his weapons.

Articles like the one linked are busy encouraging other people to go about building *their own* paranoid fantasy worlds, and are totally irresponsible in my view.
07-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
Does anyone think that a countries' murder rate might relate somewhat to the societal stress levels?...
I tend to think so, but I am sure that there is no way to prove it. America is all about polemics. Extreme polemics at that. It is part and parcel of the freedoms that we are afforded. Given the media exposure that we see and the economic divides that we have to deal with, it is no wonder that there are people that grow up jealous, disenfranchised, etc. regardless of their intelligence. I imagine that it leads to a lot of the destruction that we see in cases like this. Some of it is probably mental instability (which isn't adequately addressed in our society), but some is also probably just a want to participate in the polemics and "be somebody." The tragedy in OKC and the Unabomber come to mind for the latter.

It would be interesting to hear from others outside the Americas about how divided they feel the general attitude is amongst their citizens.
07-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #145
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I take great exception to the idea that America is the only country capable of breeding such people.

List of rampage killers: Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check out the various lists and categories. Yeah, there are a lot of Americans on that list but they're in good company and let's not forget that guy from peaceful, civilized, Norway, Anders Behring Breivik. (Why is it killers are always ID'd by 3 names?) I was surprised to find he'd bought all his guns legally actually. I thought that gun control over there was a lot tighter than that.
There are a lot of Americans compared to the rest of the world. You guys appear to be having an epidemic. No one is saying this is primarily an American problem, but the USA does seem to have huge number compared to anywhere else.
The link you pointed to proves it out. While I didn't actually add things up, it wouldn't surprise me if the USA had more mass murders (outside of organized genocides) than the rest of the world combined.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That's different. The European (and Canadian) mass murders were tortured souls that just needed understanding and guidance but society let them down. The American mass murderers, like all Americans, are just evil, bloodthirsty animals that like to kill.
Do you have anything to add to the discussion that actually has any meaning or do you really think that juvenile things like this make you look smart?
However, if you think you are making a point here, I would say that all mass murderers are how you describe, and the USA seems to have the market cornered on them.
07-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #146
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
This makes his choice of guns more a matter of expediency when you think about it.
Bingo!!! You gave the right answer without realizing it.
This seems true of most all mass murderers. The guns are a tool of expediency.
Now, imagine if the tools of expediency were not available to them.......
Sure, some would find another tool, a lot would go after people with much less efficient methods and kill fewer people, and many more would just post bombastic crap on internet forums, killing no one at all.
07-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Bingo!!! You gave the right answer without realizing it.
This seems true of most all mass murderers. The guns are a tool of expediency.
Now, imagine if the tools of expediency were not available to them.......
Sure, some would find another tool, a lot would go after people with much less efficient methods and kill fewer people, and many more would just post bombastic crap on internet forums, killing no one at all.
Or they would build bombs, they are a bit more efficient then even guns...but those are banned too...

Or...No! please don't tell me? People can't get guns if they are banned...can they??
07-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #148
Veteran Member

I think the planning this guy undertook suggests he would have weaponed up whatever, possibly through illegal means, it just may have taken a little longer. But this sort of preplanned massacre is rare I think. More commonly someone who already has access to weapons, legitimately (according to US law) owned, flips out and goes on a rampage. In that situation, tighter gun control may have an effect.
07-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #149
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
I think the planning this guy undertook suggests he would have weaponed up whatever, possibly through illegal means, it just may have taken a little longer. But this sort of preplanned massacre is rare I think. More commonly someone who already has access to weapons, legitimately (according to US law) owned, flips out and goes on a rampage. In that situation, tighter gun control may have an effect.
I estimate he had at least $10,000 that he laid out for this heinous attack which is a lot for a graduate student. Purchasing a Glock when I was in grad school would have been tight.
Closed Thread