Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Leaf Peeping in The Berkshires

My family will be spending Columbus Day weekend in Columbia County NY, in the foothills of The Berkshire Mountains.
If I can get the time off from work I will stay until Friday. That would give me four days alone to do as I please.
Autumn colors should be just about peaking then. Any suggestions for some good locations for photos?
I'd prefer to stay east of the Hudson River, and within ~50 mile radius of the NY/MA/CT state border tripoint.

TIA,
Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-20-2012 at 04:42 PM.
07-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
One place that's on my bucket list and just within your range at 48 mi. is Bannerman Castle.
The Ruins of Bannerman's Island ~ Kuriositas
If not, I would seriously consider crossing the Hudson and heading into the Catskill Mts.
07-21-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photo ops are abundant in Columbia county, especially farms and landscapes. Drive slow and be prepared to stop. On some roads, there is a poster worthy scene around every turn. The Taconic hills along the NY, VT, Mass, and CT border are excellent places in the fall, especially late in the season as your trip is scheduled. Higher elevations could well be brown by Columbus Day. There are back roads everywhere. I have family spread all through that area and we're down there often. The peak times for foliage varies from year to year and this year will be especially difficult to predict as we had an early spring and the summer has been a little dry but early to mid October is always a good bet for the Hudson Valley. Williamstown, North Adams, Hillsdale, Philmont are all quaint small New England towns in the area and the Hoosic-Bennington area also is a little bit further but worth checking out.
07-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you been to Storm King Art Center?

Storm King Art Center

07-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. Having spent many summers there
I'm quite familiar with the beauty of the Hudson Valley and Catskills.
As mentioned during this trip I plan to remain east of the Hudson.

Chris
07-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
There's Bash Bish Falls about 5 miles from the tripoint located in Mt. Washington State Forest, Mass.
07-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Photo ops are abundant in Columbia county, especially farms and landscapes.
Drive slow and be prepared to stop. On some roads, there is a poster worthy scene around every turn.
The Taconic hills along the NY, VT, Mass, and CT border are excellent places in the fall, especially late
in the season as your trip is scheduled. Higher elevations could well be brown by Columbus Day.
There are back roads everywhere. I have family spread all through that area and we're down there often.
The peak times for foliage varies from year to year and this year will be especially difficult to predict as we
had an early spring and the summer has been a little dry but early to mid October is always a good bet for
the Hudson Valley. Williamstown, North Adams, Hillsdale, Philmont are all quaint small New England towns
in the area and the Hoosic-Bennington area also is a little bit further but worth checking out.

Indeed, and this time I will be able to pull over and get out without once hearing "Why are you stopping the car here? What's wrong?" etc.

If it continues to be hot and dry I expect colors will probably be past their peak, but not gone entirely.
And even if the foliage isn't the best the weather should still be absolutely glorious.

I've been through most of the towns you mentioned and yes, they are quite nice.
I haven't been to the Bennington area. A visit there is now on my to-do list!

QuoteOriginally posted by Gillies Quote
There's Bash Bish Falls about 5 miles from the tripoint located in Mt. Washington State Forest, Mass.
We usually walk the short trail to Bash Bish Falls when visiting Copake Falls State Park.

Photos I've taken at the base of the falls have been disappointing.
I suppose it's spectacular at peak flow, during a wet Spring perhaps.
But it's a pleasant enough hike, and a place worth visiting anytime.

We haven't tried hiking in from the MA side.
I doubt the views are much better view from above.
And I have no intention of jumping... yet.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-20-2012 at 05:44 PM.
08-19-2012, 06:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was planning a similar autumn trip in 2010, after Dwayne's announced the end of Kodachrome processing at the end of the year.
My intention then was my own personal "Kodachrome's Last Hurrah" but events conspired against me, and it never happened.
I had some Kodachrome, but the car broke down, I was in OK for training, or some other reason I can't recall forced me to cancel.

Lately I've been thinking about what films I'll use on this trip.

I used Kodachrome 64 for 30 years and liked it very much.
I've never been a fan of Velvia or the other Fuji slide films.

I have a half dozen rolls of Elite Chrome 100 I plan to use.
I also have a similar quantity of Ektar, though I prefer slides.
And I will bring the last of my Plus-X, as well as some Tri-X.

I feel I'm ready for most any situation with this selection of films.
But with film harder to find now I worry I've forgotten something.
Any further suggestions?

TIA,
Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-20-2012 at 05:47 PM.
08-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is Kodachrome 25 impossible to obtain? My favorites from years way past were Kodachrome 25 & 64, and any Tri-X that I could afford.
08-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
35mm Kodachrome 25 was discontinued in around 2002, Kodachrome 64 in 2009.
Dwayne's, the last lab in the world processing Kodachrome, ended this service in 2010.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-20-2012 at 04:41 PM.
08-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
My family will be spending Columbus Day weekend in Columbia County NY, in the foothills of The Berkshire Mountains.
If I can get the time off from work I will stay until Friday. That would give me four days alone to do as I please.
Autumn colors should be just about peaking then. Any suggestions for some good locations for photos?
I'd prefer to stay east of the Hudson River, and within ~50 mile radius of the NY/MA/CT state border tripoint.

TIA,
Chris
Take a tele... Bigfoot is supposed to be there!
08-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I'm seeing a lot of color in the maples already. The tops of the young trees showed color in early August. It will likely be an early color year.
09-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I plan to use my last half dozen rolls of Elite Chrome 100 on this trip.

I also have a half dozen rolls of Ektar, a film I have never used before.
Reviews and sample photos indicate it tends to go reddish with moderate underexposure.
That might be an asset for shooting fall colors. Or should I buy some Portra too?

Chris
09-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I plan to use my last half dozen rolls of Elite Chrome 100 on this trip.

I also have a half dozen rolls of Ektar, a film I have never used before.
Reviews and sample photos indicate it tends to go reddish with moderate underexposure.
That might be an asset for shooting fall colors. Or should I buy some Portra too?

Chris

Oh, you still haven't gone? Suppose it would have been a bit early, but I've been down here too long. I'm afraid I haven't done color film to speak of in a really long time. Looks like I've got a couple of rolls of expired Reala in my freezer. one in each format, that's it. (I don't think it was actually expired when I bought it, but I'm not sure where I got it, though. )
09-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #15
Pentaxian

There is some color in the Berkshires and Hudson Valley but spotty. There is a lot of color in Northern Vermont and the High Peaks area of the Adirondacks. I'm taking a motorcycle ride Saturday with friends and we're running through the High Peaks to Lake Placid and Saranac Lake, down to Tupper Lake and through the central Adirondacks and back home. I'll be taking a lot of shots and will post a few and let that should give people a better idea of when to plan a trip. The general consensus is that this year, the foliage will peak around the last week of September to the first week of October, a little earlier then usual due to the early spring and dry summer.