Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you serious!?

Recently sold an excellent condition pentax k-x body and 18-55 lens kit in the marketplace for 200 bucks, shipped. 200. I just wanted to get rid of it and priced it low not only because of that but out of appreciation of pentaxforums and the community. The body was practically flawless, including the viewscreen! Only flaw was that cheap silver lining around the body which had very minimal amount of paint coming off near the front grip side. I shipped it the same day, got the tracking and sent info. I sent the buyer a note saying it was on it's way and a side note that the front lens cap (which I almost forgot to include, since I never use them) was not the original, but was a modern pentax one and was a little "grungy". Maybe not the most accurate term, but it had a small amount white paint on one side. Other than that, it was fine. To my surprise, the buyer looked up the price for a new one and asked that I refund the new price which is about 12.60 on amazon, because he "didn't want to use a grungy lens cap". I was a click away from refunding, when I sent him my thoughts, saying that I was reluctant, because he was getting used equipment and the cap functioned perfectly. As far as I know, the description was completely accurate and I never once thought that a different cap would be an issue. Your Thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Last edited by outsider; 07-23-2012 at 09:55 AM.
07-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can you specify "grungy?" if there is some sort of grime on it, I wouldn't want to put it on my lens. If it is just cosmetic wear and tear, but the cap functions perfectly, then I don't think you should have to refund the difference at all. Not to mention that he just got an amazing deal for $200.

On a side note: you don't use lens caps? How do you protect your lenses? Was it the rear cap of a lens that is always attached to a body?
07-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Grungy for that cap was some kind of paint. It was a used cap included with at lens I bought about a year ago. It was on a small portion of one side of the front of the cap. The rear was spotless. Possibly white out or something, nothing that would get onto the lens itself. Of course, I always use rear caps when not in use. When a lens is on the body, I never feel the need to use lens caps since I shoot in good conditions and alwys take care of the lens. If the lens is on camera, after use, I put it into some place that is protected from dust like a camera bag, drawer, etc.
07-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hey you want to get it back and sell it to me i will happilly pay 200 for it today lol. i wish i would have seen that listing i dont even need the lens cap keep it i have plenty

07-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
exactly. I could have gotten possibly twice that much without the lenscap, cables or manual. i don't know what his reasoning was...
07-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

outsider people always bitch no matter what i just bought a k10d for the same amount so you could have gotten at least 400 or more i just wish i known about the sale i would have jumped on it
07-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I sold a 17-70 once that was in near mint condition but shipped it with an Asahi Optical M series rear cap instead of the plastic pop top cap. The guy tried to pull a similar thing on me. Even though I told him I shipped the pop top, he actually put a hold on PayPal claiming the lens wasn't as described.

07-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Would it really be too much of a strain for them to just to take a sharp knife or something and just scrape it off? If it was paint or white-out, it should come off...

They got one hell of a deal and they know it. If it was dried and not touching the actual glass, I wouldn't care. I would have paid for the camera and RAN- hoping the seller wouldn't change their mind and ask for the camera back!

Hope you don't mind a quick story, just so you feel better and know that it doesn't just happen to you and that these naggy people are everywhere... about a year or two ago, I put up an old Minolta SLR camera and lens up for sale on craigslist- back then I didn't know much about cameras, much less 35mm SLRs. Anyway, I did specify in the listing that I didn't know much about it other than that the shutter and film advance worked and that no battery was included so I was unable to test the light meter. I was asking quite a low price for it because of this and met with a man who took a look at the camera, tried it out as far and shutter and film advance went, and happily thanked me and brought it. A few days later, I get an angry email from him saying that I "RIPPED HIM OFF" by selling him a camera with broken light meter and he wanted me to DRIVE 1 HOUR TO MEET HIM AND REFUND HIS MONEY. He could have brought a battery with him in the first place and second of all, it was a $20 camera- even the lens was worth more than that!
07-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you guys selling it to sellers who are new? I would watch who I sell things to, like setting up your own rules. Such as selling to those with high post count, or those who have at least a few or couple marketplace feedback.
07-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Are you guys selling it to sellers who are new? I would watch who I sell things to, like setting up your own rules. Such as selling to those with high post count, or those who have at least a few or couple marketplace feedback.
The person in my story joined in 2008 and the sale was in early 2011. However, the post count is currently 13 and feedback of +5.
07-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
hey you want to get it back and sell it to me i will happilly pay 200 for it today lol. i wish i would have seen that listing
Took the words right out of my mouth
07-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Must be going to sell it on, who would care otherwise.
07-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Some people are entitled and unappreciative of what they have. Sad really. Sorry you had to deal with it.
07-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
Pentaxian

This kind of crap happens far too often which is why I rarely sell anything. An argument can be made that you should sell everything for top dollar because the buyer will always try to screw you.
07-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

One of the reason's i try first to sell on CL and face to face. Cash only
Sometimes takes a longer time than I would like though
that being said they can inspect before buying and i will address issues on the spot.
I try and price more than fairly though and so far no big issues (one person walked away from my ds because i'm a smoker - I explained i don't smoke in the house and it had been stored that way for several years now.. meh it sold to a forum member instead