Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Any civil war would be among you Canadians
Fought with what, knives, Hockey sticks...? What I could gather from other threads, guns are not freely available.

07-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
My impression is actually that most americans have no idea what is above the border, because even the weather maps shown by the US networks show that the weather itself does not exist above the boarder.
Things I know about Canada: 1) they save on blue, as their flag has only red and white, 2) their bacon is round and does not have all that fat, plus you have to pay extra to get some at the diner, 3) apparently there was no Canadian Revolutionary War but the War of 1812 was the closest equivalent - a Canadian victory over the expansionist USA.
07-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As for canada becoming part of the US, it already is, from a strategic defense point of view, in fact, canada is the part that will have all the russian rockets fall, when they are shot out of the sky. why do you think eisenhower put all the early warning system in the canadian artic in the first place
Because the Soviets wouldn't allow him to put them in Russia.
07-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Things I know about Canada: 1) they save on blue, as their flag has only red and white, 2) their bacon is round and does not have all that fat, plus you have to pay extra to get some at the diner, 3) apparently there was no Canadian Revolutionary War but the War of 1812 was the closest equivalent - a Canadian victory over the expansionist USA.
The war of 1812 had nothing to do with a revolutionary war, because the Canadians were not fighting against their British rulers, but against an external enemy.

And by the way, the reason the white house is actually white, is to cover the scorch marks from when we burned it.

07-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Fought with what, knives, Hockey sticks...? What I could gather from other threads, guns are not freely available.
According to one Canadian member though, "Gun ownership rates in Canada is actually higher than it is in the USA."
07-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

My impression is actually that most americans have no idea what is above the border, because even the weather maps shown by the US networks show that the weather itself does not exist above the boarder.
That is hilarious!!!!!! But, sadly true. I agree many Americans are ignorant as hell. It can be quite embarrassing.
07-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Good reading, Jeff.
Thanks for sharing this.
Cheers.

JP

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Yeah, I can't wait to see the look on Wheatfields face when Canada becomes the 51st through 62nd states. Notice I left one out, as not even we want Quebec. Though for the bright side, I can help him open up a gun shop and at least he will be a rich former Canadian.
I hope you won't cross my path one day if you ever decide to visit Eastern Canada.

The whole article assumes that spending is all within the tax base. Unfortunately this is not the case. Health care especially is being diluted due to people not understanding that spending health care out of tax base undermines the service.

A for Canada being doomed, I doubt this is the case. Canada has survived because we have a separate currency and because we have things other nations covet. Oil, Gas, Minerals, Water, Food.......... Our greatest problem is not Canada, but allowing foreign owners of these resources, especially ones who will use these resources (read this as the Chinese ) to undermine our base industry with cheaply made products, using some of the dirtiest fuels, and no environmental policy at all. Let alone occupational safety for their workers
Lowell, I couldn't explain this better that you did ... congrats on your post!
Cheers.

We could trade Quebec to the French for some cheese and wine.
Unfair trade ... and you wouldn't appreciate the fine foods and drinks anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
If we kept it, we'd have all the whine we could stand. Oh, you said wine. Sorry!
That was funny, actually.

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Funny, most Americans I meet seem to think Quebec IS Canada. It's usually the only part they've visited, and they have the ignorant idea that their experience in Quebec is somehow representative of the rest of Canada. It is not.

When I lived in Alberta, I took the opportunity to travel to California where people tought Canada was "Oh yeah ... right up there in Montana?"

As for being assimilated by the U.S., a great many of us will be dead before that could ever happen, and ours would not be the only losses. It isn't going to happen, at least not in any of our lifetimes. I'd like to think that the rest of the civilized world would not sit by idly during that kind of war, either.
Right !

For those wonder who Doug and Bob are

Great White North - YouTube

Interesting original post and definitely amusing for some of the others.
Have a great weekend ya'll.

JP

07-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #23
Site Supporter

The war of 1812 had nothing to do with a revolutionary war, because the Canadians were not fighting against their British rulers, but against an external enemy.

And by the way, the reason the white house is actually white, is to cover the scorch marks from when we burned it.
The Brits burned D.C, not the Canadians. The W.H. was essentially burned to the ground along with most other government buildings. Gen Sam Smith's militia turned them back from Baltimore and the H.M.S. Navy couldn't get by Ft McHenry (hence The Star Spangled Banner). They got their butts kicked later at the Battle of New Orleans by Jackson's militia and Lord Packingham paid with his life. Jackson had left his "Regulars" at Mobile to defend.

Last edited by Blue; 07-25-2012 at 10:49 AM.
07-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

Unfair trade ... and you wouldn't appreciate the fine foods and drinks anyway.

Interesting original post and definitely amusing for some of the others.
Have a great weekend ya'll.

JP
Actually, my first real job as professor was working with the wine grape industry in California. I saved a 40 year old cab for my tenure celebration with another special bottle as a backup just in case it was fancy vinegar (it wasn't). I have some Italian, French, Cali, and South African wine laid away at present.
07-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
That is hilarious!!!!!! But, sadly true. I agree many Americans are ignorant as hell. It can be quite embarrassing.
in my youth i spent a while as a bellman at a Hotel downtown Toronto, without fail a couple of times a summer some twat would show up with a ski rack and ask where the ski areas are:, just pop off to the airport bud and catch a flight to south america or new zealand
occasionally they would try and speak french as well (even funnier lmao, since you don't get much more Anglo than Toronto in the late 70s early 80's)

I'll have to ask my bellman if the same thing happens here (I doubt it I'm at an Intercontinental as purchaser now and our clientele tends to be pretty worldly)

As for being annexed by the US or us asking to join (even less likely) not much chance of it ever happening
you really don't get Canada at all if you think it would ever be even a remote possibility we'd ask to join the US
Even the Albertans would get their hackles raised at that idea and they are the closest thing we have to Americans

and a little more bob and doug for you (we don't take ourselves very seriously up here) - how to get free beer from the brewery

07-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
According to one Canadian member though, "Gun ownership rates in Canada is actually higher than it is in the USA."
That was something I read here from a pro gun proponent. Apparently I should fact check rather than trust what some of the people here post when they are trying to make a point.
07-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
United States 88.8 1
Serbia 58.2 2 [5]
Yemen 54.8 3
Switzerland 45.7 4
Cyprus 36.4 5
Saudi Arabia 35 6
Iraq 34.2 7
Finland 32 8 [6]
Uruguay 31.8 9
Sweden 31.6 10
Norway 31.3 11
France 31.2 12
Canada 30.8 13

Number of guns per capita by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
07-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
To be legal, you need to be licensed to acquire firearms. If you have a clean record, acquiring long guns is pretty easy (rifles, shotguns, etc). There are many ways around these limitations (for a legal example, you can inherit guns without being licensed), and plenty of guns to be had.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
2) their bacon is round and does not have all that fat, plus you have to pay extra to get some at the diner
This is sadly one more bit of ignorance about Canada. We both call the same substance bacon. What you guys call "Canadian Bacon" doesn't exist in Canada. It's purely an American invention, for the American market, and is basically a kind of ham. As a Canadian with no desire to visit the U.S., I have only seen the stuff in pictures, and read about it. Canadian bacon is not Canadian.
07-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Even the Albertans would get their hackles raised at that idea and they are the closest thing we have to Americans
I think you mean Calgarians. Or maybe the people who live in Fort McMurray.

Oh heck....your right. Us Alberta folk a Hicks. We love our country western, our pickup trucks, and our Budweiser. I'm moving to BC so I can own drive my VW and be less "PROGRESSIVE CONSERVATIVE " which is a hypocritical name for a party.....
07-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #30
Veteran Member

The only time I EVER see "Canadian Bacon" on a menu is when I'm in the states. I'm sure there is some exception with a US franchise restaurant setting up shop in Canada. Canadians I know call it ham.

As for becoming the 51st state...

Why do Americans assume we would want to?
Closed Thread