Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I notice you said "stopped" not "shot".
Sometimes they do get shot. Sometimes even killed. That is the risk they take when they get into a life of crime. Old Ted Bundy didn't get shot. He got barbequed.

08-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #92
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What would we talk about? Bridge or something? Canasta?
See? We can't even agree on that! I'm a Cribbage player.
08-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Old Ted Bundy didn't get shot. He got barbequed.
I once discussed this with a Buddhist, who said don't kill him. Dig a deep hole, put a rock over it with a small hole in the middle, drop enough food down there to keep him alive. He can live as long as he wants to. You don't have to kill people. You don't have to let them go free either. There's always a choice and that's the truth. People like you trying to frame situations where there is no choice is pointless. You don't see the non-violent way out. How do you talk your way out of a hypothetical situation? You can't. But I know many who have talked their way out of real life situations. Fact is, neither you nor I ever faced Ted Bundy, not you with your gun or me with my wits... so there we don't know.

When Ghandhi was asked about fighting Hitler he said. Sure it could have been done non-violently... many would have died. But many ultimately died anyway." Would it have been more... less? Does it matter. You decide how it's going to be for you and you live your life that way. I just hope the day Parallax gets caught with his pants down and can't reach his gun... I'm there to save his butt non-violently.
08-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #94
Site Supporter

I once discussed this with a Buddhist, who said don't kill him. Dig a deep hole, put a rock over it with a small hole in the middle, drop enough food down there to keep him alive. He can live as long as he wants to. You don't have to kill people. You don't have to let them go free either. There's always a choice and that's the truth. People like you trying to frame situations where there is no choice is pointless. You don't see the non-violent way out. How do you talk your way out of a hypothetical situation? You can't. But I know many who have talked their way out of real life situations. Fact is, neither you nor I ever faced Ted Bundy, not you with your gun or me with my wits... so there we don't know.

When Ghandhi was asked about fighting Hitler he said. Sure it could have been done non-violently... many would have died. But many ultimately died anyway." Would it have been more... less? Does it matter. You decide how it's going to be for you and you live your life that way. I just hope the day Parallax gets caught with his pants down and can't reach his gun... I'm there to save his butt non-violently.
1) Ted escaped after during a trial out west and once after that.

2) I see a non-violent way. I don't perpetrate violence on people or create madness and mayhem. What I keep trying to explain to you is these things aren't always up to you or me. Like the 100 women Bundy killed. It wasn't up to them. If you get car-jacked, it isn't your decision to have a car-jacking. I have found that police officers are too heavy to carry around with me.

Edit: FSU here in Tally has had 38 armed robberies on campus since Jan 1 and an attack/attempted rape. The latter guy got caught after she bit, and beat the crap out of him. To deter the robberies, instead of using FSU PD officers, they got the bright idea to post more unarmed security guards. In June, one of the security guards got robbed, including his radio, phone and flashlight around 10 pm.

Last edited by Blue; 08-03-2012 at 04:57 PM.
08-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #95
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
See? We can't even agree on that! I'm a Cribbage player.
What's Cribbage? Is that anything like boiled cabbage?
08-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
1)

Edit: FSU here in Tally has had 38 armed robberies on campus since Jan 1 and an attack/attempted rape. The latter guy got caught after she bit, and beat the crap out of him. To deter the robberies, instead of using FSU PD officers, they got the bright idea to post more unarmed security guards. In June, one of the security guards got robbed, including his radio, phone and flashlight around 10 pm.
Wow , I allways thought FSU was the safest of the big FL schools. I have a niece at UF and one at UM. I worry for them especially the one in Miami.
08-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #97
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Wow , I allways thought FSU was the safest of the big FL schools. I have a niece at UF and one at UM. I worry for them especially the one in Miami.
Here is the attack last week. He got away but the caught him because she was able to give a description plus he had a bite on his shoulder.

FSU police make arrest for attempted sexual battery | FSView | fsunews.com

QuoteQuote:
Deputy Chief of Police of FSU PD Major Jim Russell said the suspect then “indicated to the victim that he was going to assault her and that she should not say anything, which is when the victim began to physically resist.”
FSU PD then reported the woman grabbed the suspect in the groin in defense, bit his neck and hit him over the head with a paper towel dispenser. The suspect began to flee after taking a beating from the victim, who suffered no major injuries.
Here is the story of the armed robbery of the unarmed security guard.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/FSU_CRIME_BULLETIN_DeGraff_Hall_Robbery_159221725.html

QuoteQuote:
On the evening of June 14, 2012 a FSU Police Department Security Officer was patrolling the grounds on the northwest side of DeGraff Hall at approximately 11:06 pm when he encountered a black male (suspect) with a handgun. The suspect ordered the guard to get on the ground, which he did. The suspect then demanded the officer’s radio to aid in his escape. . . .

08-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From the Dahli Lama:

"In 2001, he answered the question of a girl in a Seattle school by saying that it is permissible to shoot someone with a gun in self-defense if that person was "trying to kill you," and he emphasized that the shot should not be fatal."
08-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just hope the day Parallax gets caught with his pants down and can't reach his gun... I'm there to save his butt non-violently.
Why would you want to be there when Jim had his pants down?
08-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #100
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why would you want to be there when Jim had his pants down?
I was wandering the same thing. That makes me a little nervous.

In all seriousness, if I were ever in a life threatening situation I would welcome ANY intervention that would neutralize the situation without having to use deadly force. Yes, I carry a gun; for the same reason I wear a seat belt. I'm not going to run into something if I can avoid it, just because I have a seat belt on and I'm not going to use force if there's an available alternative that has a reasonable expectation of being successful.

Thanks for the offer, Norm; but I'll stick with what I have if for no other reason than it's a lot easier to carry every where I go than I think you would be.

Last edited by Parallax; 08-04-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Closed Thread